You'd be a fool to buy an RTX 3070

Action_Johnson

About $50 more bucks gets you double the VRAM, Infinity-whatever-they-call-it with Ryzen 5000, and likely better performance than a 2080Ti (which I'd say is still slightly better than a 3070).

Prove me wrong. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

1 minute ago, Action_Johnson said:

Prove me wrong. 

I'll make up my mind once the reviews drop

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

About $50 more bucks gets you double the VRAM, Infinity-whatever-they-call-it with Ryzen 5000, and likely better performance than a 2080Ti (which I'd say is still slightly better than a 3070).

But I wouldn't be getting e.g. far better drivers, CUDA or NVENC.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

But I wouldn't be getting e.g. far better drivers, CUDA or NVENC.

Tohe drives are fine now. Though it might come down for what you do. Gaming, you might as well get the 6800, but if you need cudo or nvec, you are forced to get the 3070

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Tohe drives are fine now.

asides nvidia's drivers were just awful when people first got their hands on the 3000 cards

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The problem isn't now - or in other words - 15 months after release, but rather at launch.

Navi's drivers were a shitshow for more than half of said 15 months, and the VII wasn't all that different either.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

How can you know for sure the drivers for a not-yet-out product won't be broken?

Anyway, no reviews no point. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, GoodEnough said:

asides nvidia's drivers were just awful when people first got their hands on the 3000 cards

the drivers were part of the problem, but nvidia not giving game ready drivers to aibs fast enough was part of it. Thats why aib crashes were worse, though the FE had some of it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

im a neural network enthusiast and im saying nothing can compete with cuda

AND nvidia will reveal super or ti card soon 

If you need CUDA then then yeah you have to buy Nvidia.

But I am expecting Nvidia to release a 3080Ti with slightly more CUDA cores and more vram, and since theres 2 empty solder pads on the 3080, possibly a 12GB card. Although a Ti card from Nvidia would have to be $999 to go between the 3080 and 3090.

Just now, GoodEnough said:

key word, enthusiast.

people choose amd over nvidia because they arent made of money

define enthusiast

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

13 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Prove me wrong. 

Prove you are correct first.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

If you need CUDA then then yeah you have to buy Nvidia.

But I am expecting Nvidia to release a 3080Ti with slightly more CUDA cores and more vram, and since theres 2 empty solder pads on the 3080, possibly a 12GB card. Although a Ti card from Nvidia would have to be $999 to go between the 3080 and 3090.

well cuda isnt necessary for neural network but cpus are extremely inefficient in neural network processing 

12 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

About $50 more bucks gets you double the VRAM, Infinity-whatever-they-call-it with Ryzen 5000,

VRAM isnt everything, no difference between 16gb and 10gb if you dont go beyond 2560x1440

13 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

and likely better performance than a 2080Ti (which I'd say is still slightly better than a 3070).

We'll see

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

There's always going to be a niche use-case for a 3070 over 6800. I'd argue if you can get a used 2080ti for the price of a 3070, get the 2080ti for the additional VRAM and overclocking headroom.

If you care about RT then you clearly haven't used it yet, because it's still a Beta feature that runs like a turd. I'd wait for next-next gen before getting excited about it.

If you're a content producer worth your salt then you're not looking at the 3070 anyway.

All that being said, if you make your GPU choice based on brand loyalty then none of these things actually matter. If like myself you have AMD and Nvidia graphic cards to mess around with, there are some strengths and drawbacks with both brands. for example: Nvidia is able to utilize available VRAM better when VRAM is tight by dynamically adjusting the texture quality of objects in-game, while AMD using their image sharpening tech and deeper colors make lower resolutions look a lot better than they should. If you don't have both to compare side-by-side, you're probably going to be biased toward what you already own.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

You'd be a fool to proclaim someone a fool based on first party, non-independently verified info.

Nvidia's first party info was not taken at face value. AMD's shouldn't be either. Even if Lisa's haircut is cooler than Jensen's jacket.

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

the drivers were part of the problem, but nvidia not giving game ready drivers to aibs fast enough was part of it. Thats why aib crashes were worse, though the FE had some of it.

The Nvidia 30 series launch was a mess, and yeah that is an important point, AIB's didn't get drivers soon enough to test for stability, thats why the capacitor layout was a problem. The reviewers got drivers before the AIB's did, yet people still give AMD crap for drivers.

define enthusiast

nvidia is more often targeted to people who have the extra money to spend on a more "reliable" gpu than someone who doesnt, i think your wallet would agree with me that amd still has better price to performance, even if it may or may not be slightly slower or faster

ahem

TENSOR CORES

that is all

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

If you care about RT then you clearly haven't used it yet, because it's still a Beta feature that runs like a turd. I'd wait for next-next gen before getting excited about it.

you dont know the definition of running like a turd until you have tried running continuum rt on a rx 580 lmao

1 minute ago, GoodEnough said:

nvidia is more often targeted to people who have the extra money to spend on a more "reliable" gpu than someone who doesnt, i think your wallet would agree with me that amd still has better price to performance, even if it may or may not be slightly slower or faster

tenser cores and cuda core amd simply can not compete with these 

well cuda isnt necessary for neural network but cpus are extremely inefficient in neural network processing 

The annoying thing with CUDA is that that it isn't particularly better than OpenCL in terms of actual performance, but because the software out there is almost all optimised for it rather than OpenCL.  Which of course leads into the cycle of people that need compute buy Nvidia, so developers target CUDA, so people buy Nvidia, so developers...

Just now, Koeshi said:

The annoying thing with CUDA is that that it isn't particularly better than OpenCL in terms of actual performance, but because the software out there is almost all optimised for it rather than OpenCL.  Which of course leads into the cycle of people that need compute buy Nvidia, so developers target CUDA, so people buy Nvidia, so developers...

well no cuda is much better than open cl when comes to my workloads