Home server storage thingy? halp?

Lelouch

I'll start by saying I'm really behind in tech, I used to post on the NCIX forums back in the early 2000's but haven't kept up since then.  (NCIX BF2 clan TV missile gg)  I did some quick homework/catchup in Dec 2013 to build my 4770k rig and haven't kept up since.

I'm looking for a home storage setup to backup all the pictures and videos my wife and I have been manically taking of our <year old son.  I would like it to be as simple to use as possible for my wife and I. 

1.) The ability to come home and upload the photos and videos quickly and hassle free.

2.) Redundancy.  Able to withstand shorting out and not losing everything or have mechanisms such as backups that could be removed and stored unpowered for safety or a high quality surge protection. 

3.) This is also going to be a gift to her so something new.

4.) The same as #1 but remotely when we are out and about is a bonus

5.) We currently use Iphones (6S and 8.)

Budget is as low as possible but willing to spend up to 500.00 CAD all in tax incl.  Would spend up to another 150.00 for surge protection. 

Thanks in advance everyone!

budget?

there are a lot of ways to do so.

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

budget?

there are a lot of ways to do so.

Ahh I forgot to add budget thanks.  OP has been edited. 

1 minute ago, Lelouch said:

Ahh I forgot to add budget thanks.  OP has been edited. 

how much storage do you need?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Mine right now is an old dell system that I salvaged and popped a few hard-drives in and raid with freenas and boom.

This route is the save money route:

Buy an old 3rd or 4th gen system.

Upgrade the system to 8 or 16gb of RAM

Buy 3 1tb or 2tb harddrives. (Depending on the storage you need.)

Buy a pci-e sata expansion card.

Connect them together and install Freenas on it.

Configure Raid Z for that redundancy.

And enjoy.

Edited by Smit Devrukhkar

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

You should look into Synology. 

They make pretty good NAS Systems that come with everything you need except drives.

So get something like a DS220 for ~$200 and then put 2x 4TB Ironwolf drives in there, set them up in a Raid1 and you are good to go. 

HOWEVER, keep in mind Raid is NOT a backup! I have a more complex Raid at home and do regular backups to an external HDD that I store at a different house, just to be safe. 

With Synology you can even set automated phone backups everytime you enter a wifi or even backup the entire NAS to a different NAS easily. So in the future you can buy a second NAS, put that into a friend's house and backup to them. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

how much storage do you need?

Honestly not much, I have nothing specific in mind.  I assume almost any HD today would be plenty for what it's main function would be.  Room to add more space if needed in the future is a plus.  I'm willing to spend a little more on something like Red series HD if they are actually less prone to failure.

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

You should look into Synology. 

They make pretty good NAS Systems that come with everything you need except drives.

So get something like a DS220 for ~$200 and then put 2x 4TB Ironwolf drives in there, set them up in a Raid1 and you are good to go. 

HOWEVER, keep in mind Raid is NOT a backup! I have a more complex Raid at home and do regular backups to an external HDD that I store at a different house, just to be safe. 

With Synology you can even set automated phone backups everytime you enter a wifi or even backup the entire NAS to a different NAS easily. So in the future you can buy a second NAS, put that into a friend's house and backup to them. 

Thanks this seems like a great idea.  The DS220(j) or DS220+? The + is x2 the price on the egg.

The DJ220 + has a nice external upload/DL feature where I could have a 3rd 4TB Iron wolf drive in an external enclosure and backup the NAS data frequently easily.  The non+ seems to not have this.  How would I go about doing this with the non + 200.00 less version?

And what is a diskless system?  I'm very much confused as to what that means.  I see they take Hard drives are these not considered disc's?

Holy smokes things add up fast.  

For the DS220+ 2x2TB iron wolf drives + Seagate 1TB USB3.0 backup 875.00 CAD all in shipping and taxes included.   

On 10/23/2020 at 5:30 AM, Lelouch said:

And what is a diskless system?  I'm very much confused as to what that means.  I see they take Hard drives are these not considered disc's?

HaHa it comes with no discs, i.e. diskless with discs it would be diskful

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

You don't really need enterprise grade hardware to achieve your goals. Some simple CPU 2-4 cores, 16 GB of RAM, some gaming motherboard (with 4-6 SATA ports), separated disk/USB for OS and 4 x 2 TBH drives for data. Linux (CentOS, Ubuntu) as the OS and use MDRAID to combine the hard drives into resilient RAID array. NFS or Samba SMB to share the storage to your family. Good luck with that!