Stadia Creative Director Triggers Uproar on Twitter

Random_Person1234

Summary

Alex Hutchinson, a creative director at Stadia, triggered an uproar on Twitter today by tweeting that streamers should pay devs a fraction of the revenue they gain by streaming the dev's game. This has brought "Stadia" to number 2 trending in the United States. 

Quotes

My thoughts

This is probably some of the most publicity Stadia has ever gotten. Does anyone even use it anymore?

Sources

https://twitter.com/BangBangClick/status/1319305553454288896

https://9to5google.com/2020/10/22/gamers-condemn-stadia-creative-director-streamers-should-pay-publishers/

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-weighs-after-stadia-director-says-streamers-should-pay-publishers

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

buying a license

And here's the problem. Everything is a license, nothing is owned outright any more. Every dev wants perpetual money.

Fuck that noise.

I buy CDs and DVDs on occasion, but thanks to fuckwits like the RIAA and MPAA, I buy them used.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I mean in a sense they are paying the game developers in a way that is far more effective than just money.

If it weren't for streaming, games like Among Us, Fortnite, PUBG, and pretty much any other game that has been a major phenomenon over the past few years would be unheard of. Game streaming is extremely lucrative for devs as its basically free advertising

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Not going to happen. Games are paying streamers to play their games. Popular streamers are effectively giving an 8 hour ad fort the game in front of 10s of thousands of current viewers. If a developer came out and said that if you want to stream their game you'll need to pay them a fee the streamers would just play something else and the game would get very little coverage on game streaming platforms, not to mention the bad PR. No developer is stupid enough to be the first to do that.

Game developers could be smart about streaming though and build in to their game mechanics for streamers to utilise to generate money, which the developers could take a cut from with partnership with popular streaming platforms (Twitch). Look at what Borderlands 3 did with "echocast" where viewers can pay to trigger events in game such as giving rewards or spawning enemies.

Developers should embrace streaming. Not tax it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

This is probably some of the most publicity Stadia has ever gotten. Does anyone even use it anymore?

I kept my stadia pro games added to my library after I canceled my free dubscription, so yeah, i use it

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Looks like Google wants to stay in the bad spotlight, despite the fact that they've distanced themselves from the comments the director has made. Regardless, this is one of the most obnoxious things that someone has said in a while, similar to the policy that Nintendo had in the past which also caused a lot of uproar. 

Streamers basically do free advertisement for the game as seen with Fall Guys and Among Us, one of the recent examples that can be brought up. With that said, if shit like this ever were to go through with a publisher, it will hurt indie or other kinds of devs. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

stadia isnt game streaming like that tho? You stream the game from non local hardware to your pc so you can play it.

The OP is about how Twitch/Youtube gaming/whatever other platform streamers, not people game streaming from Stadia. The only relation it has to Stadia is that the person who tweeted this also was a creative director at Stadia. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

but the streamers already paid for the game

well usually. and if they got it for free it is probably a sponsorship and is legit

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

If anythings, publishers/devs should be paying Streamers to showcase their games to their viewers.

The streamer paid for the game they are playing, so saying they should be paying is kinda misleading and could be interpreted as them pirating (in some case, they are being offered it for free, exactly to play it on their channel). It's literal free publicity for a game to be played by a Streamer or Youtuber.

For some games, yeah, I get it, streaming is kinda bad. Especially for things like single player games that have zero replayability. Like, why would someone buy your game, if they've seen someone play through it all, right?

But for others, like say, Among Us, streaming pretty much MADE that game. It got insanely popular 2 years after release because of streamer and not despite streamers. Tons of viewers who saw their favorite streamers play it, bought the game. The devs were ready to pull the plug and just do a sequel. Instead they are now focusing on fixing the first game. Why? Because it has insane replayability value while remaining fun to play and streamers pretty much showed this by playing it for hours each day.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

The OP is about how Twitch/Youtube gaming/whatever other platform streamers, not people game streaming from Stadia. The only relation it has to Stadia is that the person who tweeted this also was a creative director at Stadia. 

I derped. and deleted that part.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

He's an idiot who just wanted to have his moment in the sun. He copped that deuce real quick once folks started getting in his ass for talking that bullshit.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

13 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

but the streamers already paid for the game

well usually. and if they got it for free it is probably a sponsorship and is legit

13 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

The streamer paid for the game they are playing

There's a difference between paying for a product and using that product to make money. Think of it like buying a song on Google Play Music or Apple Music. Even though you paid for the song, you are not allowed to use it in a YouTube video and make money. By no means am I agreeing with him, if developers start charging for licenses to stream their games they are just shooting themselves in the foot, but the argument that streamers already payed for the game isn't a very good argument. 

In his replies, he makes a lot of stupid comparisons.
image.thumb.png.9dc30e72cf01d1ee0f094c3184416378.png

He doesn't seem to understand the difference between fair use and piracy.

27 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

And here's the problem. Everything is a license, nothing is owned outright any more. Every dev wants perpetual money.

Fuck that noise.

I buy CDs and DVDs on occasion, but thanks to fuckwits like the RIAA and MPAA, I buy them used.

We are discussing for business use here, not personal use. Buying a CD or DVD, new or used, does not give you the license to make money selling copies of the media.

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

Even though you paid for the song, you are not allowed to use it in a YouTube video and make money. By no means am I agreeing with him, if developers start charging for licenses to stream their games they are just shooting themselves in the foot, but the argument that streamers already payed for the game isn't a very good argument. 

I would compare it more to a reaction video. If you pay for a movie and react to it on youtube, my understanding is that it can fall under fair use (not a lawyer obviously). With streamers, through playing the game, potentially editing it and adding their reaction to it, I would argue that it does not fall under copyright and they shouldn't have to pay extra.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

As if I needed any more reason to absolutely HATE the idea of Stadia any more than I already do.

Game Streaming services like Stadia need to die horribly in a fire. Because shit like this is where it leads.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

20 minutes ago, The_russian said:

There's a difference between paying for a product and using that product to make money. Think of it like buying a song on Google Play Music or Apple Music. Even though you paid for the song, you are not allowed to use it in a YouTube video and make money. By no means am I agreeing with him, if developers start charging for licenses to stream their games they are just shooting themselves in the foot, but the argument that streamers already payed for the game isn't a very good argument. 

then wouldnt game developers already have drafted some eula or terms and conditions document forbidding this if it were such a big deal? also this BENEFITS them greatly so even if if made you a few twitch subs, it would sell the developer attention and a few copies of their game

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

9 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

then wouldnt game developers already have drafted some eula or terms and conditions document forbidding this if it were such a big deal? also this BENEFITS them greatly so even if if made you a few twitch subs, it would sell the developer attention and a few copies of their game

Not exactly what you're saying, but some game devs do have a specific policy on what you can or can't do with their content. Actually, there's probably a more generic case in the EULA that no one reads. It's probably an area I need to read up on more since I'm trying to be a gaming 'tuber (yes, another one), and in general they seem pretty chill outside of instances of music use. Copyright on music used in game is the bigger pain point.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

36 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I'm reminded of situations where the RIAA has tried to sue people for playing the radio in restaurants and bars, only to get smacked down by the courts because the license to publicly broadcast those songs has already been paid for by the radio station.

The streamers already paid for the games. IF they charge extra for streaming rights, people will just not stream those games. Where I a game streamer, I would do that without a second thought.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'm reminded of situations where the RIAA has tried to sue people for playing the radio in restaurants and bars, only to get smacked down by the courts because the license to publicly broadcast those songs has already been paid for by the radio station.

Thats different, in that case someone did pay for streaming rights (the radio station), in this case the streamers aren't. To use my earlier analogy, if you buy a song, that does not grant your streaming rights. That radio station specifically bought streaming rights, hence the ability to legally broadcast the songs. As far as I know games are copyrighted material, but it's fairly likely that streaming would fall under fair use (as long as you aren't just sitting there silently playing a game), thought that would be up to the courts.

4 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

The streamers already paid for the games. IF they charge extra for streaming rights, people will just not stream those games. Where I a game streamer, I would do that without a second thought.

Again, as I stated earlier, I don't agree with Alex and I already stated that if game devs were to do this, they would just be hurting themselves.

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

Thats different, in that case someone did pay for streaming rights (the radio station), in this case the streamers aren't. To use my earlier analogy, if you buy a song, that does not grant your streaming rights. That radio station specifically bought streaming rights, hence the ability to legally broadcast the songs. As far as I know games are copyrighted material, but it's fairly likely that streaming would fall under fair use (as long as you aren't just sitting there silently playing a game), thought that would be up to the courts.

Again, as I stated earlier, I don't agree with Alex and I already stated that if game devs were to do this, they would just be hurting themselves.

Considering that the appeal of game streaming is the streamer more than the game..... that feels like a transformative work to me.

He's not wrong, at least not obviously wrong. I mean, I wish he was, because the system is wrong, but while it remains as it is, it's far from obvious how this particular IP (games) should be treated when used as a business intermediate input, compared to how other IPs (music, images, etc) are handled.

As much as I critique the current state of IP (anyone who had read me in other threads would know :P), the current state is that, for example, paying a home subscription to watch sports on TV doesn't enable you to show it on your bar's TV, they make you pay a different (much higher) "business" subscription for that. Same with buying an album for yourself vs. playing it at a radio station. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if streamers can no longer pay the consumer price for games they then stream for profit, but power to them if the moment never comes.

Have ya got a loicense for that vidya game, mate?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Should probably be noted that the Broadcast License stuff is built up legal structures over a century. The default and without specific protection, there's real no legal leg to stand on for some sort of broadcast licensing aspects. With games, a company only has copyright ownership to the assets & code, and the simple fact is the act of playing a game makes it a "transformative" work. They'd have to break most legal systems to have any claim to rights to prevent broadcast of it.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

We are discussing for business use here, not personal use. Buying a CD or DVD, new or used, does not give you the license to make money selling copies of the media.

Correct, but you can damn well believe there are companies out there trying to make individuals rent their music forever, rather than own it.

Look at the flap over singing "Happy Birthday" in public places. That shit is out of control.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.