Upgrading A School PC / Final Post?

I'm back, an hour later, with an update. Taking everyone's advice, I think this might be the move-

1. Start with a fresh reset on my test machine. If this doesn't change anything speed wise (I'm running a rough benchmark in Premier to judge.) It must be a hardware issue. 

2. If test 1 is unsuccessful, order some new parts. 

New Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H310M-E R2.0 LGA 1151 / Link / EDIT: I've now been told this isn't compatible (not surprised) any alternatives?

New CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 / Link

New RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR416GB (2 x 8GB) / Link

New SSD: Sabrent Rocket Q 500GB NVMe (Still Looking Into Other Options) / Link

New Case: Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro ATX Tower / Link

Maybe a new HDD for video storage? Probably not though.

For those wondering, the only reason for switching MOBOs is to move the rig to a new case with better airflow.

As always, let me know your thoughts! Once again, here's the current spec list.

Intel Core i5-4460S @ 2.90 GHz

GeForce GTX 1070

8.0 GB DDR3 Memory (1 x Stock RAM, 1 x Hyper X Fury DDR3)

Kingston SA400S37120G

500W Rosewill PSU 

EDIT: I will be using the same CPU as I've heard it's not awful, I'm of course just assuming the compatibility of the board as I know nothing about Intel chipsets- will these two work together?

Just now, Burnedice25 said:

If you are getting a new MOBO, you will need a new CPU.....

I'll just be using the same CPU unless it isn't compatible; I don't know anything about Intel chipsets so I'm just looking for the cheapest option

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

you will need a new cpu as well, right?

I'm gonna try to use the same CPU unless it isn't compatible 

3 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

It most certainly isnt I'm afraid.

Try and come up with another build factoring in a cpu? (use PC part picker, it makes life very easy)

Changing the motherboard alone doesn't increase performance by itself.

Might aswell change the whole platform.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

7 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

Probablybswitch to AMD if it isnt compatible due to the lower cost to performance in comparison to intel.

25 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

not compatible. H310 boards work with 8000 and 9000 series cpus.

and as others said, jsut replacing motherboard and keeping the same cpu won't improve performance.

30 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

I have this, it is a lovely case except for the airflow performance.

Purely because of the poor airflow and high component temps that I have experienced I couldn't recommend the Q300L.

I think you could spend $5 to $10 extra and get something that is noted for good airflow and lower temps.

11 minutes ago, Shabba said:

I have this, it is a lovely case except for the airflow performance.

Purely because of the poor airflow and high component temps that I have experienced I couldn't recommend the Q300L.

I think you could spend $5 to $10 extra and get something that is noted for good airflow and lower temps.

I have the case myself and I couldn't agree more- I need something that's under $70 (The only reason I chose the Q300L is for the price) Do you have any recommendations? 

21 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

not compatible. H310 boards work with 8000 and 9000 series cpus.

and as others said, jsut replacing motherboard and keeping the same cpu won't improve performance.

Thanks for letting me know! I've never worked with Intel so I wasn't sure

40 minutes ago, 2552Jordan said:

Probablybswitch to AMD if it isnt compatible due to the lower cost to performance in comparison to intel.

That was the original plan (First Post), I'm just trying to do things as cheap as possible- but AMD is probably the move

46 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

New Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H310M-E R2.0 LGA 1151 / Link

New CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 / Link

New RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR416GB (2 x 8GB) / Link

New SSD: Sabrent Rocket Q 500GB NVMe (Still Looking Into Other Options) / Link

Maybe a new HDD for video storage? Probably not though.

• It's basically useless to upgrade the mobo if the old one's still working and still fits the use case of that light-editing. And, that mobo doesn't support the CPU like, at all.
  • CPU cooler, perhaps go for it. That stock cooler looks sucks especially it's producing 65W of heat. But try to clean it first, for real, it's a lot of dust stuck on there that's killing the CPU slowly, and try the performance test like how usually it's used. If that's not good, go for the cooler.
  • RAM? Get it. Probably you'd need that 16 GB.
  • Sure for that NVME? Even SATA SSDs would give you enough performance boost over a HDD, but try to get the one with DRAM (I always use this SSD tier sheet, but you can use the LTT one). And since your mobo of choice isn't compatible at all with the CPU.
  • Case? Depends if you'd need that CPU cooler or not.
  • New HDD if the old's grumpy enough for any kind of job.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

43 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

Changing the motherboard alone doesn't increase performance by itself.

Might aswell change the whole platform.

The only reason for changing MOBO would be to use it in a new case as the current one is a custom for the pre-built

Just now, dhannemon13 said:
  • It's basically useless to upgrade the mobo if the old one's still working and still fits the use case of that light-editing. And, that mobo doesn't support the CPU like, at all.
  • CPU cooler, perhaps go for it. That stock cooler looks sucks especially it's producing 65W of heat. But try to clean it first, for real, it's a lot of dust stuck on there that's killing the CPU slowly, and try the performance test like how usually it's used. If that's not good, go for the cooler.
  • RAM? Get it. Probably you'd need that 16 GB.
  • Sure for that NVME? Even SATA SSDs would give you enough performance boost over a HDD, but try to get the one with DRAM (I always use this SSD tier sheet, but you can use the LTT one). And since your mobo of choice isn't compatible at all with the CPU.
  • Case? Depends if you'd need that CPU cooler or not.
  • New HDD if the old's grumpy enough for any kind of job.

I wasn't sure about the MOBO as I've never worked with Intel, but like you said it isn't compatible- the only reason for changing the MOBO is to move the rig to a new case with better airflow

49 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

It most certainly isnt I'm afraid.

Try and come up with another build factoring in a cpu? (use PC part picker, it makes life very easy)

I have a whole alternative build set-up, I was just trying to come up with the cheapest way to do this 

9 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

I wasn't sure about the MOBO as I've never worked with Intel, but like you said it isn't compatible- the only reason for changing the MOBO is to move the rig to a new case with better airflow

Search for the one with H81 or else. Here's a good reference.

But I admit I rather to just rebuild a new PC with something like Ryzen 3 3300X. Same core, but with more threads that would be really useful on video edit purpose, and of course way more performance. Or probably go for 3500 or 3600 if it's really possible. 

It's a kind of good investment for the school, as faster render time and bigger performance would be really useful to work on, and  you don't need to struggle with another upgrading for the next few years.

Still. If your school's only editing at maximum 1080p, just stick with the old build. It's still good enough.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

12 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

I have the case myself and I couldn't agree more- I need something that's under $70 (The only reason I chose the Q300L is for the price) Do you have any recommendations? 

Nothing that I have hands-on experience of but as I have found out in a thread I started asking for 'air flow' case recommendations there are lots of sources of info like Gamers Nexus 2020 roundup video.

18 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

The only reason for changing MOBO would be to use it in a new case as the current one is a custom for the pre-built

My point being, putting the same CPU in a different motherboard/case won't make it any faster, it's just a waste of money tbh

If the plan is to buy a new motherboard, might aswell change the CPU, otherwise it's pointless. Best case scenario it would run a bit cooler, with negligible performance gains.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

15 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Search for the one with H81 or else. Here's a good reference.

But I admit I rather to just rebuild a new PC with something like Ryzen 3 3300X. Same core, but with more threads that would be really useful on video edit purpose, and of course way more performance. Or probably go for 3500 or 3600 if it's really possible. 

It's a kind of good investment for the school, as faster render time and bigger performance would be really useful to work on, and  you don't need to struggle with another upgrading for the next few years.

Still. If your school's only editing at maximum 1080p, just stick with the old build. It's still good enough.

How does this build look? 

1 minute ago, Parideboy said:

My point being, putting the same CPU in a different motherboard/case won't make it any faster, it's just a waste of money tbh

If the plan is to buy a new motherboard, might aswell change the CPU, otherwise it's pointless. Best case scenario it would run a bit cooler, with negligible performance gains.

How is this build? 

Just now, NekoTeagan said:

Looks fine enough by me actually. Pass on the be quiet! cooler as AMD's stock cooler is already enough if the user won't do any overclocking.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

14 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

That CPU only supports up to 2933mhz ram so the 3200 kit will run at 2933 but that's exactly the scenario I have at the moment with my 2600X system and it works just fine. I don't know if there's a significantly cheaper 3000mhz kit but if there is that's another possible saving

22 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Looks fine enough by me actually. Pass on the be quiet! cooler as AMD's stock cooler is already enough if the user won't do any overclocking.

Oh of course I totally forgot about the stock cooler! Yeah AMD makes pretty solid ones