Fortnite insstall size dropped to lessthat 30% previous instal with new optimistations.

Helpful Tech Witch

This isnt quite "news worthy", but I think its pretty cool. Yesterday morning, Fortnite released it's v14.40 update for "Fortnitemeres" update. One thing about the update thats not a nightmare? The total install sze. Origonally, it was almost 100gb for PC, but with this new update, it dropped to only 26gb, a mear 25% of the origonal zsize. 

Now, if COD Warzone could have these optimisations, imagine having Warzone at ~75GB. That would be nice.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Damn that's impressive that they were able to optimize it that much, now if only more game developers would do the same. 

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Now, if COD Warzone could have these optimisations, imagine having Warzone at ~75GB. That would be nice.

A few years ago who would have thought that 75GB for a single game would be considered nice and optimized lol.

Makes you wonder why there was 75 GB of apparently unnecessary data before now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Keep in mind that there was probably a lot of cleanup (and probably compression) involved when it came to shrinking Fortnite's install size. 

MW2019 does not have that luxury. I don't believe the game uses compressed archives (I don't think any of the CoD tech has ever used it to help with not overusing resource budgets), not to mention shader data, large texture files and lossless audio will eat up space very quickly. From what I remember, all of the audio in Fortnite is encoded in Opus.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

9 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Damn that's impressive that they were able to optimize it that much, now if only more game developers would do the same. 

A few years ago who would have thought that 75GB for a single game would be considered nice and optimized lol.

Yeah,, Ill have to clean up some first, but FN may regain its place on my tiny 128gb boot ssd.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

This isnt quite "news worthy", but I think its pretty cool. Yesterday morning, Fortnite released it's v14.40 update for "Fortnitemeres" update. One thing about the update thats not a nightmare? The total install sze. Origonally, it was almost 100gb for PC, but with this new update, it dropped to only 26gb, a mear 25% of the origonal zsize. 

Wow really that's very cool

And I don't even play Fortnite LOL

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

-= Topic moved to PC Gaming =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This sounds a lot like downgradaton to me, so how much worse does the game look now? 

Tho tbf it never was a looker, maybe it's not even noticeable... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

This sounds a lot like downgradaton to me, so how much worse does the game look now? 

It looks the same. I think they compressed a lot of skins and other stuff and also removed unused assets that it got over the last few years.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Though I should say that I don't play on high. I play with competive settings (All low or off, view distance high)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler