Computer Boot loop support

Hey there. I just got an RTX 3090 today. I plugged it in, and wired it up. When I press the power button on my computer, the lights will come on, the GEFORCE logo will light up as well as various RGB in my machine. The fans spin up, and then everything shuts off. This happens over and over until I flip the switch on the PSU. It may be worth noting the light on my motherboard remains amber until the system shuts off. Could I be missing something? I'm using the dongle the card came with, and I wired both 8 pin connectors to it plugged directly into the graphics card. I had a GTX 1080 running on this build previously, so my gut reaction tells me that it's the power supply. But NVIDIA recommends a 850 watt supply, so I should be fine with 1k watts, right?

PC Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A

PSU: EVGA 1000w GQ 80+Gold

Intel Core i9 9900k CPU

4 sticks of 8GB Trident Z RGB (128 GB total)

SAMSUNG 970 Evo plus 2TB NVME M.2

Have you tried putting the GTX 1080 back in and see if the system boots? Have you tried clearing CMOS?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

28 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Have you tried putting the GTX 1080 back in and see if the system boots? Have you tried clearing CMOS?

Hello, I had put the gtx 1080 back in to ensure it still worked. But I haven't done anything with CMOS myself. I did, however, unplug two sticks of my RAM, and tried again. With only two in the system it booted up just fine and I'm in the GEFORCE experience app downloading drivers now. I assume that means it's a problem with my PSU not being able to deliver for my full system, then.

I don't think it's that. Your CPU and GPU combined take up about 500W. Unless you have a crap ton of hard drives and power-hungry components, your PSU should be fine.

elephants

10 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I don't think it's that. Your CPU and GPU combined take up about 500W. Unless you have a crap ton of hard drives and power-hungry components, your PSU should be fine.

ummm.... no? the 3090 tdp is almost that, some aibs at ~425w. 1000w is fine tho, so IDK.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

ummm.... no? the 3090 tdp is almost that, some aibs at ~425w. 1000w is fine tho, so IDK.

I see. I'm not super hardware savvy, but could taking the 2 sticks of RAM have refreshed something to make it work?

1 minute ago, ClassiCorey said:

I see. I'm not super hardware savvy, but could taking the 2 sticks of RAM have refreshed something to make it work?

I would clear cmos. the ram would sip maybe 10w per, so no. Do you know how to clar cmos?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Long shot here, but is it on a riser cable? If so, can you try direct connect the 3090 to the PCIE slot?

It does kind of sound very psu'ey , that being said it also seams unlikely, removing 2 ram sticks should make very little power draw difference especially at boot time.  Have you got the latest bios update on your motherboard and is the 3090 in the same slot?.  My first step would be to take the other 2 sticks of ram out and boot with the 2 that are currently out, then if that works add the other 2 back in but swap around the ram slots a little.  In the end though it does sound very psu'ey although if the psu is working to specification it really shouldnt be.  Do you have any overclocks running?

@jonnyGURU 

What information do you have about this PSU??

EVGA 1000w GQ 80+Gold

Is it reliable enough in this situation? Would you suspect an issue with the PSU or perhaps the board?

17 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

@jonnyGURU 

What information do you have about this PSU??

EVGA 1000w GQ 80+Gold

Is it reliable enough in this situation? Would you suspect an issue with the PSU or perhaps the board?

Never got to see a GQ 1000 in person.  But I have no reason to believe it's not an ok PSU.  Not "great", but not "bad".  Personally, not something I with such high end hardware.

I will say I note this:  The RAM is RGB and removing two sticks has changed the behavior.  What else is RGB in the system?  RGB fans?  How many?  Could be something as dumb as overloading the +5V.

30 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Never got to see a GQ 1000 in person.  But I have no reason to believe it's not an ok PSU.  Not "great", but not "bad".  Personally, not something I with such high end hardware.

I will say I note this:  The RAM is RGB and removing two sticks has changed the behavior.  What else is RGB in the system?  RGB fans?  How many?  Could be something as dumb as overloading the +5V.

Hard to say. I know the LEDs in one of my cases causes a no post situation when I use the motherboard header. 

Good leads Jonny!

On 10/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, ClassiCorey said:

Hey there. I just got an RTX 3090 today. I plugged it in, and wired it up. When I press the power button on my computer, the lights will come on, the GEFORCE logo will light up as well as various RGB in my machine. The fans spin up, and then everything shuts off. This happens over and over until I flip the switch on the PSU. It may be worth noting the light on my motherboard remains amber until the system shuts off. Could I be missing something? I'm using the dongle the card came with, and I wired both 8 pin connectors to it plugged directly into the graphics card. I had a GTX 1080 running on this build previously, so my gut reaction tells me that it's the power supply. But NVIDIA recommends a 850 watt supply, so I should be fine with 1k watts, right?

PC Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A

PSU: EVGA 1000w GQ 80+Gold

Intel Core i9 9900k CPU

4 sticks of 8GB Trident Z RGB (128 GB total)

SAMSUNG 970 Evo plus 2TB NVME M.2

Hey guys! I haven't done anything with the CMOS settings, but I did get home just now and I plugged the two sticks of RAM back in since it boots up when I removed the two, and it turns out that it runs just fine now. All my system specs are being registered. I have the correct drives, amounts and RAM listed as well as the correct graphics card and specs. Maybe someone a little more hardware inclined can tell me why removing RAM would fix the boot loop.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:47 PM, HelpfulTechWizard said: