DISCUSSION, PREDICTIONS ON 4 WAY SLI

Hello everyone, 

I'll like to start a discussion about the difference between 4 titan xp's (starwars GE CE) in sli vs 1 or 2 3090's

I'm building a system right now, and I don't have $1000's of dollars at one time I have to save up and find good deals, so I chose to go with 4 titan xp's (we had 2 already) 

Now I spent a little less then $1400 for the last 2 titan xp's so as long as I'm getting close if not better FPS then a 3090 then I'm going the right way :)

If you think this is the wrong way to go please post me some comparisons with real life screen shots.

Time will tell...

Lmao you done goofed mate. Should've gone with a single 2080Ti for $500 and called it a day. 

SLI is dead and Titan XPs outdated. 

4 way SLI is even more dead 

Edit: basically you just wasted $1400 on two GTX1080 Tis. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

5 minutes ago, CottonSWAB AKA CottonSHIFT said:

I'll like to start a discussion about the difference between 4 titan xp's (starwars GE CE) in sli vs 1 or 2 3090's

1 x 3090.

3090 is rn the fastest single card but it isnt worth using SLI. I would've gone with a single 3090

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Nvidia doesn’t even officially support SLI anymore, moving forward no new titles will support it unless the developers go way out of their way to code for it, so your setup will perform like a single Titan XP in new titles and a single 3090 will handily outperform your setup. You will probably win a highest power draw competition but that’s about it.

Even in older titles, SLI did not scale in a realistic enough fashion to be worth the headache, hate to say it but you are probably gonna be pretty disappointed.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

9 minutes ago, CottonSWAB AKA CottonSHIFT said:

and I don't have $1000's of dollars at one time I have to save up and find good deals

But you clearly had $1400 and could've bought a 3090. Then you could've burned the two Titans and still would've ended up with a better deal.

Or at least do some F@H!

10 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Lmao you done goofed mate. Should've gone with a single 2080Ti for $500 and called it a day. 

SLI is dead and Titan XPs outdated. 

4 way SLI is even more dead 

Edit: basically you just wasted $1400 on two GTX1080 Tis. 

ROFL, I cant tell you how many times I've been told that my titan xp's are outdated!!! LOLOLOL

SLI isnt dead my friend! 

We shall see :P

1080ti's are not as fast as titan xp's....

We have a 2080ti in another pc and our duel titan xp's blow the doors off it....

Please show me some screen shots ? 

Sli works in several games ❤️

10 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

1 x 3090.

3090 is rn the fastest single card but it isnt worth using SLI. I would've gone with a single 3090

I was honestly thinking about it... but I dont like getting Videocards on release day because there are sometimes problems (like the crappy capacitors for the 3080's)

A single 3090 is also $1999+ tax at Canada computers. I simply didn't have enough money at one time to buy one... And they were sold out as soon as they went onsale. and now people are asking like 3k for 1.

5 minutes ago, CottonSWAB AKA CottonSHIFT said:

ROFL, I cant tell you how many times I've been told that my titan xp's are outdated!!! LOLOLOL

SLI isnt dead my friend! 

We have a 2080ti in another pc and our duel titan xp's blow the doors off it....

Yeah, right...

Buyers remorse I guess.

XOwNEEq.png

image.png.dd874cd9a21999e1577c6fb14cc706ac.png

image.png.fd75aa80b2c25af1bf7c8fa934386f00.png

11 minutes ago, FaxedForward said:

Nvidia doesn’t even officially support SLI anymore, moving forward no new titles will support it unless the developers go way out of their way to code for it, so your setup will perform like a single Titan XP in new titles and a single 3090 will handily outperform your setup. You will probably win a highest power draw competition but that’s about it.

Even in older titles, SLI did not scale in a realistic enough fashion to be worth the headache, hate to say it but you are probably gonna be pretty disappointed.

I thank you sir for your opinion. 

I do believe you are right, about depending on the game(any game really) a 3090 will blow the doors off a titan xp.  But for games that can use it... will 4 titan xp's be faster... this is the big question.... I might have to borrow a 3090 after x-mas to test it.... 

P.S. Looking to borrow a 3090 for a week :)

Just now, CottonSWAB AKA CottonSHIFT said:

. will 4 titan xp's be faster... this is the big question.... I might have to borrow a 3090 after x-mas to test it.... 

I doubt it. Very few games will scale well with 4 gpus to my knowledge. 

3090 is a lot faster than one Titan Xp and probably two as well

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

8 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

I doubt it. Very few games will scale well with 4 gpus to my knowledge. 

3090 is a lot faster than one Titan Xp and probably two as well

I thank you for your opinion. 

Time will tell :)

13 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Yeah, right...

Buyers remorse I guess.

XOwNEEq.png

image.png.dd874cd9a21999e1577c6fb14cc706ac.png

image.png.fd75aa80b2c25af1bf7c8fa934386f00.png

AWESOME !!! 

THANK YOU FOR MAKING SOME OF MY POINTS ❤️

The last screen shot show that a titan xp is faster then a 1080ti...

in the first couple of pix multiply the 1080ti by 4+ and imagine the numbers :)

2 minutes ago, CottonSWAB AKA CottonSHIFT said:

Sure I agree with you on the Titan XP is fasther than a 1080 Ti as seen in the photos, but realistically, the scaling of all four Titan X(p)s will not be multiply the performance by 4 or more as the amount of coding and efficiency with the game engine/ code won't ever reach those numbers. Perhaps it will probably be x3 -x3.5 better depending on the game and how well the game developed supported SLI into the game's engine. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Sure I agree with you on the Titan XP is fasther than a 1080 Ti as seen in the photos, but realistically, the scaling of all four Titan X(p)s will not be multiply the performance by 4 or more as the amount of coding and efficiency with the game engine/ code won't ever reach those numbers. Perhaps it will probably be x3 -x3.5 better depending on the game and how well the game developed supported SLI into the game's engine. 

I completely agree.

I will be posting both game failures and games that benefit. And I'm talkin to a guy already to borrow a 3090 for a week to test against my Titan xp set up. Cant wait to test.

I also should mention that I'll be liquid cooling the crap out of them and overclocking to the extreme. The screen shots showed a 1080TI running less then 1800mhz the titan's will be going 2100 or 2200mhz what ever I can get on a stable overclock.

10 minutes ago, CottonSWAB AKA CottonSHIFT said:

AWESOME !!! 

THANK YOU FOR MAKING SOME OF MY POINTS ❤️

I added the 8% FPS improvement over a 1080Ti and multipled the frametimes by 4 and imagined the stutters. Seemed like an amazing slide show.

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

I added the 8% FPS improvement over a 1080Ti and multipled the frametimes by 4 and imagined the stutters. Seems great! 🤣

Ever see "A fish called Wanda" ? 

G-SYNC baby oh ya !!! 

Edited by CottonSWAB AKA CottonSHIFT
Deleted rude comment

19 minutes ago, CottonSWAB AKA CottonSHIFT said:

Ever see "A fish called Wanda" ? 

G-SYNC baby oh ya !!! 

Imagined but haven't witnessed... must be like imagining sex for you.

G-Sync has nothing to do with that.

You're so stuck up on f*cking avg. FPS that you forget about the more important factors: Consistent frametimes and minimum FPS. (99%)

And it shows that you know that. You're so insecure about your own purchase, that you have to fall back on personal attacks.

Here, the last nail in the coffin...

nvlink titan rtx sniper frametimes all

Also, I think we all completly forgot to touch on something rather important:
Those cards will cook! They won't even reach close to their advertised frequency without watercooling. At this point, each one of them will perform worse than a 1080Ti. Maybe even worse than a 1080. 

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

G-Sync has nothing to do with that.

You're so stuck up on f*cking avg. FPS that you forget about the more important factors: Consistent frametimes and minimum FPS.

And it shows that you know that. You're so insecure about your own purchase, that you have to fall back on personal attacks.

Here, the last nail in the coffin...

nvlink titan rtx sniper frametimes all

Sorry about the personal attack, I guess it hit too close to home.

I have no idea what this graph is meant to explain? Work with me here... WTF is that ?

Or what you're even talking about?

Again... try and find info about an Overclocked Titan XP Collectors Edition (Galactic Empire) not some run of the mill 1080ti (sli)

I have 2 titan xp's in sli now and they blow the doors off a 2080ti.... I dont have studdering or anything... 

And for the record I'm quite happy with our purchase of 2 more titan xp's :) 

SLI / Crossfire DOES NOT scale linearly with the number of GPUs.

It's an exponential decay...

Sure, you'll get 80% ~ 90%+ scaling with the second card, BUT the third may be +30%, and the 4th +10%.

From what I know, most games (that DO support multi-GPUs) are coded for 2 GPUs .... maybe 3.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

SLI / Crossfire DOES NOT scale linearly with the number of GPUs.

It's an exponential decay...

Sure, you'll get 80% ~ 90%+ scaling with the second card, BUT the third may be +30%, and the 4th +10%.

From what I know, most games (that DO support multi-GPUs) are coded for 2 GPUs .... maybe 3.

Have you seen the video's of some guy on youtube comparing the 3x sli and 4x sli ?

I totally agree it depends on the game... I will be posting fails and successes for SLI in Different games... The first one being World of Warcraft.

23 minutes ago, CottonSWAB AKA CottonSHIFT said:

Sorry about the personal attack, I guess it hit too close to home.

I have no idea what this graph is meant to explain? Work with me here... WTF is that ?

Or what you're even talking about?

Again... try and find info about an Overclocked Titan XP Collectors Edition (Galactic Empire) not some run of the mill 1080ti (sli)

I have 2 titan xp's in sli now and they blow the doors off a 2080ti.... I dont have studdering or anything... 

And for the record I'm quite happy with our purchase of 2 more titan xp's :) 

For sake of education I'll do it.

The frametime is the time it takes to render out each frame - so simply the time between each frame.
In a perfect world at 60FPS you'd have a consistent frame time of 16.6ms. (1000ms / 60)

Everything's fine here.

Now imagine your framerate is still 60FPS - seemingly everything is fine, but your frame time fluctuates. Sometimes its 8ms, sometimes its 30ms and sometimes it might even be as high as 50ms. Even tho your framerate is still 60FPS, you will experience massive stutters in game, which make any game a very unpleasant experience.

That's one thing. Then there's also 1% and 0.1% lows.

Not gonna talk about that now. Plenty of information out there.

In the screenshot I posted you can see different frametimes and the fluctuations of those frametimes with different setups.

It doesn't take rocketscience to notice, that your frametimes spread over a larger area with SLI than without. Depending on the game and how well its optimized this can vary a lot.

It's often fine with 2-way SLI, but usually not fine anymore with 3-way or 4-way SLI. This is where you will see frametimes dance all over the place. It's not like it hasn't gotten better, but it's still nowhere near good enough, which is one of the reasons why NVidia decided to no longer support SLI.

So yes, you might end up with good avg. FPS and maybe even good frametimes with 2-way SLI in a lot of games, but 4-way SLI is so janky and so little supported, that you're basically throwing your money out the window. 

On top of that, it doesn't scale like you wish it would scale. There is no 4x improvement. Not even 3D mark scales 4x (more like 3.7x).

And now you're also squeezing those 4GPUs together. They're going to run incredibly hot, which will result in lower frequencies. Your overclock is worthless, when the cards will hit their Tjunction at 92°C and start thermal throttling. At that point you might end up with 1600Mhz TitanXPs, which are running at a 20% slower frequency than a GTX 1080 - and therefor barely any faster overall.

So you might end up with 3x the performance of a GTX 1080 and a laggy experience. Instead you could've bought a RTX 3090, have a stable experience, lower power consumption, more reliable hardware, a new warranty, RTX, more VRAM, ... 

There are probably less than 5 games ever made that can use 4 way SLI. In many cases it will actually slow games down. 4 way SLI has always been completely worthless outside of benchmarking.

Buy a 3090 and be done with it. I've had SLI for the last 3 generations and I've always defended it from the naysayers. But it's dead as a doornail now. 

6 hours ago, CottonSWAB AKA CottonSHIFT said:

SLI isnt dead my friend! 

2X 1080Tis in SLI are still pretty fast, will better a 2080Ti in most things and even maybe a 3080 depending. 

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.