Demand for AMD and Nvidia to provide Hardware acceleration Across Entire GPU Line

AydyHD

Amd and Nvidia have continued to not provide support for  HEVC codec and cannot  playback 4k 60fps that Requires Hardware acceleration , 
i am asking for community help to get the manufactures to provide this support asap 
most smart phones and cameras such as GoPro use this codec 

atm the only fix i found is to use the Intel IGPU that supports hardware acceleration on windows 10  

Uhh, what? AMD and Nvidia GPUs do have the ability to hardware encode/decode HEVC (H.265). 

The problem is that Windows does not support HEVC or HEIC if you built your own PC. You need to pay for (or acquire) a DLC for Windows to enable Windows to view HEIC/HEVC content. 

The other problem is that most software does not use this codec yet since they have no motivation to change. I know for a fact that Handbreak can encode a DVD/Blu-ray using H.265 with a Radeon GPU bc I have done it before. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I addition to what @DrMacintosh said, the next generation of GPUs will have hardware AV1 decoding, which is superior to HEVC, and doesn't cost money to use.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

16 minutes ago, AydyHD said:

Across Entire GPU Line

As in even old GPUs? Or are you talking only about recent models? It's not possible to implement HEVC-support in already-released, old models, so if that's what you were asking for, no. If you just mean recent models, well, @DrMacintosh already addressed that. GTX 970 has partial support for it in the sense that a portion of the pipeline is handled by the CPU, but from there on forwards, they all have full decoding in hardware.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

32 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Uhh, what? AMD and Nvidia GPUs do have the ability to hardware encode/decode HEVC (H.265). 

The problem is that Windows does not support HEVC or HEIC if you built your own PC. You need to pay for (or acquire) a DLC for Windows to enable Windows to view HEIC/HEVC content. 

The other problem is that most software does not use this codec yet since they have no motivation to change. I know for a fact that Handbreak can encode a DVD/Blu-ray using H.265 with a Radeon GPU bc I have done it before. 

ive tried the DL but cant seem to get decent playback on anything under an r9 390x or 1060 , yet an intel igpu on an i7 7700 can lol , i would assume those models could use hardware acceleration 

Hardware decoders in video cards are FIXED hardware. Once the chip is made, you can't add support for new video codecs. 

So if the video card can decode only up to 4K 30 fps, you can't make it decode 4K 60fps or 8K videos, the chip simply can't do it. 

If the video card can decode that format in hardware, you just need a video player with a built in codec that can use the hardware decoder, or you need to buy a codec that can use hardware decoder. 

Personally, I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which is free, and supports hardware decoding, as long as the video card supports the format. 

27 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

As in even old GPUs? Or are you talking only about recent models? It's not possible to implement HEVC-support in already-released, old models, so if that's what you were asking for, no. If you just mean recent models, well, @DrMacintosh already addressed that. GTX 970 has partial support for it in the sense that a portion of the pipeline is handled by the CPU, but from there on forwards, they all have full decoding in hardware.

yeah that's what i mean older models that can do 4k 60fps natively should be able to have hardware acceleration , or an update at least seems abit odd to say that a 4gb 256bity gpu isn't capable i feel its just lazy support  

It has nothing to do with the amount of memory and bus bandwidth. 

It has to do with how much chip "real estate"  they are willing to give to the hardware decoder. Supporting more formats or bigger resolutions and framerates means more transistors and local memory needed, which means more space on the chip needed for this. 

The bigger the chip, the fewer chips can be produced from a round wafer, so each chip is more expensive.