Do any DC-DC psu not have the full available wattage on the 12v rail?

Sat1600

I saw this PSU on Amazon. I'm not planning on buying it because of lack of info.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CXXM5QC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_H5GJFb3RGC2VY

One thing made me curious though. One of the features listed is

"Stable Output: the dc-dc circuit design offers your system more reliable and stable output voltages, providing more consistent power delivery"

According to the pictures though it has 588w on the 12v rail. I've never seen a dc-dc psu with less than the full wattage on the 12v rail.

Are they just lying?

Maybe it is the way the terms are used in this application but what makes this DC-DC? I would read that as it taking a DC input and a DC output, which isn't the case as I can see the AC input.

I do have a PicoPSU that is 12V input and ATX output, that does not offer its full power rating on 12V rail. It is kinda annoying. I guess the switching FET would turn into smoke if I tried...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

Maybe it is the way the terms are used in this application but what makes this DC-DC? I would read that as it taking a DC input and a DC output, which isn't the case as I can see the AC input.

DC-DC refers to the minor rails, 5v and 3.3v, being generated from the 12V rail. 

1 hour ago, Sat1600 said:

According to the pictures though it has 588w on the 12v rail. I've never seen a dc-dc psu with less than the full wattage on the 12v rail.

Are they just lying?

I'm not familiar with Arsegame power supplies butt there are DC-DC power supplies that don't.

Corsair TXM for example is one I can think of off the top of my head. TX550M is 43A (516W) on 12V

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

34 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Corsair TXM for example is one I can think of off the top of my head. TX550M is 43A (516W) on 12V

At least that's close.  This Arsegame only has 588W on the +12V and it's a 650W.

2 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

I saw this PSU on Amazon. I'm not planning on buying it because of lack of info.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CXXM5QC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_H5GJFb3RGC2VY

One thing made me curious though. One of the features listed is

"Stable Output: the dc-dc circuit design offers your system more reliable and stable output voltages, providing more consistent power delivery"

Are they just lying?

Some times you take the +5VSB out of the total and maybe the -12V.  But there should be a HUGE gap... as if they're not including the +3.3V or +5V.  I mean... Those rails get their power from the +12V.  So they wouldn't count as part of the total output power.  Really strange.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

At least that's close.  This Arsegame only has 588W on the +12V and it's a 650W.

True. It's the only one I could think of off the top of my head though. Just an example to show that a DC-DC doesn't always need to have exactly the rated output all on the 12V rail. People shouldn't assume that it's not DC-DC just because it's only 510W on 12V for a 550W PSU.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Some times you take the +5VSB out of the total and maybe the -12V.  But there should be a HUGE gap... as if they're not including the +3.3V or +5V.  I mean... Those rails get their power from the +12V.  So they wouldn't count as part of the total output power.  Really strange.

*there should not be a huge gap

ARESGAMES must be a new brand? These units are the only ones listed on plug load website and are dated August/September 2020.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

55 minutes ago, Spotty said:

True. It's the only one I could think of off the top of my head though. Just an example to show that a DC-DC doesn't always need to have exactly the rated output all on the 12V rail. People shouldn't assume that it's not DC-DC just because it's only 510W on 12V for a 550W PSU.

*there should not be a huge gap

ARESGAMES must be a new brand? These units are the only ones listed on plug load website and are dated August/September 2020.

Yeah. Arsegames just popped up on everyone's radar a couple months ago.  Nobody knows who they are.