What new cpu to buy

Claydon41

I'm getting a 2080 super (used from a friend for cheep) and I don't know if i need a new CPU. I don't know if I should wait for a Ryzen 5000 series or get something that's already out.

Budget (including currency): around $300 for CPU and MB

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Destiny 2, Forza, overall future proofing.

Other details r5 2600 @4.0 Ghz

Current PC: 

you should be fine with the 2600 at 1440p for now. if you want to upgrade, wait for the 5600 to be released. you'll probably have to upgrade your mb as well, as your current one is pretty low end, but if they launch a beta bios for it that supports the 5000 series, you might be able to keep using it.

i would also change the PSU if you're getting a 2080 super. your current one is again low end and I wouldn't trust it with an expensive and power hungry gpu.

wait for the 5xxx series, because the 3600 processors will get cheaper and you'll be able to get a 3600 then. 

The 5xxx series processors will be expensive and bios support for them on that board may only show up around december or january next year so don't wait for the 5xxx series to  buy 5xxx processors. Wait for the discount on 3600 or maybe a step up.

Also wait for black friday for further discounts. 

If you get the 3600 with the stock cooler, you can use that and save 35$ ... the 212 evo is not that much greater than the stock cooler. 

Ryzen processors love fast memory, so you'll want at least 3000 Mhz or 3200 Mhz, ideally 3600 mhz. The motherboard you have may have problems with 3600 Mhz but it should handle 3200 Mhz.