2700x vs 3600

Is there a point getting the 3600 for £10 extra 

It gives only 5% increase in game performance from a review i saw

Thanks

Yeah I'd say get the 3600 and then OC it a bit to 3600X levels. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

3 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

Is there a point getting the 3600 for £10 extra 

It gives only 5% increase in game performance from a review i saw

Thanks

Many things are better with 3600. Especially stability and ram compatibility not to mention performance

what are you doing with the PC?

purely games? what games?

if you dont need the extra cores for multi thread performance, the 3600 makes more sense

but if you're not cpu limited in your games, no difference really.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

If you absolutely know for sure you can leverage the 2 extra cores of the 2700x with your workloads go for it, otherwise the 3600 will be the better choice.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

If you absolutely know for sure you can leverage the 2 extra cores of the 2700x with your workloads go for it, otherwise the 3600 will be the better choice.

what are some examples where i would need it?

7 hours ago, Moonzy said:

what are you doing with the PC?

purely games? what games?

if you dont need the extra cores for multi thread performance, the 3600 makes more sense

but if you're not cpu limited in your games, no difference really.

games and just normal use, like word/schoolwork/browsing

which one would you recommend

1 hour ago, Agena_ said:

games and just normal use, like word/schoolwork/browsing

which one would you recommend

Both are fine then, the 3600x should fare better in most things you do, though close to no difference really

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 hours ago, Agena_ said:

what are some examples where i would need it?

If you do big blender renders or CAD modelling for example. If you run mostly games and some school work you're better off with the 3600 across the board.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

18 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

If you do big blender renders or CAD modelling for example. If you run mostly games and some school work you're better off with the 3600 across the board.

i am going to do only games and work. but if i go with the cheaper 2700x would it make a difference, for example if it were on sale?

44 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

i am going to do only games and work. but if i go with the cheaper 2700x would it make a difference, for example if it were on sale?

It will be slightly worse in these tasks. But probably not by a noticeable amount. If it's on sale for you it's still a good chip overall.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

It will be slightly worse in these tasks. But probably not by a noticeable amount. If it's on sale for you it's still a good chip overall.

sorry for asking, but if there are more cores and threads, why would it perform less if you dont mind me asking

19 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

sorry for asking, but if there are more cores and threads, why would it perform less if you dont mind me asking

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

secondly. what if i add the 3300x

3600 -    6c 12t   @3.6ghz

3300x -    4c, 8t    @3.8ghz

main reason is the 3300x is cheaper. which one would you then recommend

19 hours ago, Agena_ said:

Because the 3600 (and the 3300X) are built in a newer architecture that brings a lot of performance gains.

19 hours ago, Agena_ said:

secondly. what if i add the 3300x

3600 -    6c 12t   @3.6ghz

3300x -    4c, 8t    @3.8ghz

main reason is the 3300x is cheaper. which one would you then recommend

Still the 3600. I don't feel comfortable recommending a 4-core CPU like the 3300X in 2020.

I'm going from a 2700X to a 3900XT.

Loved my 2700X and its performance has been great. But I want to push harder in games w my 2080ti

SETUP:

• Ryzen 9 3900XT @ 4.3 all core (peak core voltage 1.3)  (water)
  • 2x8GB TeamGroup 8Pack Ripped Edition 3600mhz CL14
  • RTX 2080ti OCd @ +150 core, +1000 memory (water)
  • Aorus B550 Elite (rev1)

Personal Bests:

• Cinebench R15: 1785  1883 (Aug 2020)
  • Cinebench R20: 4136  4243 7125 7550 (Feb 2021)
  • 3DMark/Time Spy: 10,238 13,106 13,993 14,149 15,295 (Feb 2021)

Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1314971-the-ultimate-noctua-pc-15-fans-custom-loop-case-mods/

On 10/20/2020 at 5:44 PM, Stahlmann said:

do you know why. Becasuse doesnt more cores and threads mean more instrucitons processed at the same time?

2 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

do you know why. Becasuse doesnt more cores and threads mean more instrucitons processed at the same time?

because its not as good performing in those tasks like the 3600 is. however you may want to look at current pricing of the 3600x and 3600xt as well because in some cases they are only 10-20 more than the 3600 which in my opinion would be worth it for the extra performance.

the 2700x can be gotten for cheap now yes. and 8 cores will help a lot in daily work but 6 cores for now is still fine for that too. some games do take advantage of more cores. like the new upcoming cyberpunk 2077 that you are probably wanting to play ;) 
however. then a 3700x would be better cause the 2000 series ryzen chips kinda are okay with gaming but.. the 3000 series is much better. and the 5000 series will be waaaaay better. but.. the proper value 5600 wont be out till march 2021 so unless you can wait for that. go with the 3600/x/xt

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

50 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

because its not as good performing in those tasks like the 3600 is. however you may want to look at current pricing of the 3600x and 3600xt as well because in some cases they are only 10-20 more than the 3600 which in my opinion would be worth it for the extra performance.

the 2700x can be gotten for cheap now yes. and 8 cores will help a lot in daily work but 6 cores for now is still fine for that too. some games do take advantage of more cores. like the new upcoming cyberpunk 2077 that you are probably wanting to play ;) 
however. then a 3700x would be better cause the 2000 series ryzen chips kinda are okay with gaming but.. the 3000 series is much better. and the 5000 series will be waaaaay better. but.. the proper value 5600 wont be out till march 2021 so unless you can wait for that. go with the 3600/x/xt

so you would think that the 5600x would be better than the 3600?

and can i pair it with this https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B550-A-GAMING/

51 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

so you would think that the 5600x would be better than the 3600?

and can i pair it with this https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B550-A-GAMING/

i dont think. i and others know it will be better. it will perform better in games. thats a fact. probably on par/around the i5 10600k but that we have to see still. 
and you can but you need a bios update and there for keep in mind you download that first and update your bios before you swap cpu's if you dont have another available pc to download it from. 
also watch this video:

to choose the correct board for you. that performs the best.

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

15 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

i dont think. i and others know it will be better. it will perform better in games. thats a fact. probably on par/around the i5 10600k but that we have to see still. 
and you can but you need a bios update and there for keep in mind you download that first and update your bios before you swap cpu's if you dont have another available pc to download it from. 
also watch this video:

to choose the correct board for you. that performs the best.

sorry im confused, which oe do you think will be better?