4 pin psu cpu cable

leonardmartin29
Go to solution Solved by Ankerson,
21 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you don't need them, then there's no use, and I doubt you can substantiate it with actual data that would actually affect most users. You can argue that the individual wires might be at a lower temperature when you have it split across two connectors, but that's making the assumption the motherboard is even configured to do that in the first place, rather than just using one connector until its power capabilities are at their limit and then utilizing the other connector. 

That's all a total bunch of BS.

Created by the very same ones to cater to those who under recommend PSU wattage.

Or are too cheap to actually buy a PSU that is actually needed to the system in the 1st place.

There has been a lot of coddling going on with this for too long and it's a total bunch of crap.

2x EPS connections means a 750W PSU as very few 650W PSU come with 2x EPS cables.

The MB designers wouldn't have put 2x EPS connections on the MB in the 1st place if they weren't needed.

They aren't just there for looks.

ok so i bought a new psu today a hx850i noticed that on my motherboard it has a 8 pin and a 4 pin for cpu power motherboard is a asus tuf z490 plus wifi but no cables that come with it is a 4 pin connector where do i buy it what is it called

you dont need to worry about the 4 pin. Thats only needed if you're going to go extreme overclocking on LN2 basically. For everyday use, you wont pull enough power to saturate the single 8 pin which can push around 350watts. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, leonardmartin29 said:

ok so i bought a new psu today a hx850i noticed that on my motherboard it has a 8 pin and a 4 pin for cpu power motherboard is a asus tuf z490 plus wifi but no cables that come with it is a 4 pin connector where do i buy it what is it called

Your PSU comes with two cables that should be labeled either "CPU" or "EPS". and have 8 pins on one side (and maybe 8 pins on the other side too, not sure)

One of these cables (or maybe both) can split apart into two 4 pin connectors.

One of the cables, leaver together and plug into the 8 pin of the motherboard, the other cable split it apart and plug it into the 4 pin of the motherboard.

Although the 4 pin EPS connector is not needed for most normal applications.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

you dont need to worry about the 4 pin. Thats only needed if you're going to go extreme overclocking on LN2 basically. For everyday use, you wont pull enough power to saturate the single 8 pin which can push around 350watts. 

i still wanna connect it

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Your PSU comes with two cables that should be labeled either "CPU" or "EPS". and have 8 pins on one side (and maybe 8 pins on the other side too, not sure)

One of these cables (or maybe both) can split apart into two 4 pin connectors.

One of the cables, leaver together and plug into the 8 pin of the motherboard, the other cable split it apart and plug it into the 4 pin of the motherboard.

Although the 4 pin EPS connector is not needed for most normal applications.

thank you so much i didnt notice one comes apart 

1 minute ago, leonardmartin29 said:

i still wanna connect it

What would be the purpose exactly? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, leonardmartin29 said:

i still wanna connect it

mmmk, well your PSU comes with 2 CPU/EPS 12v cables, they should be in a 4+4 connection on each. Use 1 for the 8 pin and the other only use 4 of the 8 pins and tuck the other 4 away as neatly as possible. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

49 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What would be the purpose exactly? 

Let's not pretend that "I wanna" is not a good enough reason. I got double 8-pins connected myself, on a cpu that doesn't really go beyond 150W with my too-lazy-to-properly-OC butt. I just like plugging things in I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Yebi said:

Let's not pretend that "I wanna" is not a good enough reason. I got double 8-pins connected myself, on a cpu that doesn't really go beyond 150W with my too-lazy-to-properly-OC butt. I just like plugging things in I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

excatly i just like things plugged in. 

34 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

Ok.  Well... make sure you populate all of your PCIe, M.2 and SATA ports as well.  ;)

(joking)

1 hour ago, leonardmartin29 said:

It is actually better to have both EPS power connections plugged in if the MB has them.

If one has enough PSU in the 1st place to have more than one EPS cable there is no reason to not plug them both in.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

2 hours ago, Ankerson said:

It is actually better to have both EPS power connections plugged in if the MB has them.

If one has enough PSU in the 1st place to have more than one EPS cable there is no reason to not plug them both in.

my psu has more than one eps power connection i just didnt realize that the cables split from 8 pin to dual 4 pin

but i would have no where to plug the other side in so that would be useless

If you don't need them, then there's no use, and I doubt you can substantiate it with actual data that would actually affect most users. You can argue that the individual wires might be at a lower temperature when you have it split across two connectors, but that's making the assumption the motherboard is even configured to do that in the first place, rather than just using one connector until its power capabilities are at their limit and then utilizing the other connector. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

21 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Created by the very same ones to cater to those who under recommend PSU wattage.

Or are too cheap to actually buy a PSU that is actually needed to the system in the 1st place.

There has been a lot of coddling going on with this for too long and it's a total bunch of crap.

2x EPS connections means a 750W PSU as very few 650W PSU come with 2x EPS cables.

The MB designers wouldn't have put 2x EPS connections on the MB in the 1st place if they weren't needed.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

15 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Where did I claim they were just for looks? I mean, I asked for actual substantiation of your claim, but got none. Just backlash. 

My claim is that most users will never need to utilize the 4 pin connector in conjunction with the 8 pin, which is absolutely correct. 

Instead of properly responding to me with actual data, you compare me to users who use absolute trash in their machines or recommend users to buy garbage or do things that are hazardous or straight up dangerous.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Where did I claim they were just for looks? I mean, I asked for actual substantiation of your claim, but got none. Just backlash. 

My claim is that most users will never need to utilize the 4 pin connector in conjunction with the 8 pin, which is absolutely correct. 

Instead of properly responding to me with actual data, you compare me to users who use absolute trash in their machines or recommend users to buy garbage or do things that are hazardous or straight up dangerous.

well seeing as the question has been answered i dont think we need to continue to have this convo. I will use both 4 pin and a 8 pin. if you dont wanna use it then dont thats your choice

14 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Instead of properly responding to me with actual data, you compare me to users who use absolute trash in their machines or recommend users to do things that are hazardous or straight up unsafe. 

You personally asked MOST users?

In the world, that's Billions of people.

Must have taken some time..... ;)

So unless you, or others actually designed the MB's in question then well..... You get the idea..

A car will run too if you unplug a couple of spark plug wires, but it won't run as well as if they are all plugged in. ;)

9 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

So unless you, or others actually designed the MB's in question then well..... You get the idea..

It's included for people who actually find a proper use for it. Most configurations won't need it. 

You can't give a proper reason why a user would find it useful that isn't what I stated earlier.  

Your statement is basically "if motherboard manufacturers didn't think users would need them, they wouldn't include it". They included it for users who need the extra headroom. I reckon that most people don't. 

33 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's included for people who actually find a proper use for it. Most configurations won't need it. 

You can't give a proper reason why a user would find it useful that isn't what I stated earlier.  

Your statement is basically "if motherboard manufacturers didn't think users would need them, they wouldn't include it". They included it for users who need the extra headroom. I reckon that most people don't. 

Like most people don't need all 6 or 8 spark plugs in their cars right. ;)

They will run without them all plugged in so why bother?

Just unplug a few and or take them out because everyone doesn't need them.

That is the exact same logic...

And yes a car will still run in case you doubt it.

The only real mistake the MB makers made was they didn't add actual detection for the EPS connections like some GPU makers have for the PCIe connections.

In other words if both the power connections aren't plugged in the MB wouldn't fire up.

They do need to add that to stop a lot of the BS and there would be zero question one way or the other.