Should I spend $300 on a GPU, or should I just go for the Series S?

BHuff04

LTT forums is probably not the best place to ask a question like this since everyone here is a PC nerd, but I'm really torn if I should go PC or Console. On paper, it would definitely make more sense if I just buy a 2080ti when it depreciates in the next few months, especially since my rig is already decent (Ryzen 3600 paired with 16GB of ram). In fact, I've been a PC guy for a while now, and I've probably built over 10 machines at this point for friends, etc. The reason why I'm considering just going with an XBOX series S, is because I just recently sold my RX 5700 XT for $360. I could literally just spend the $300 for a whole new console, which would be nice since I would be able to play games like Madden that PC's don't have. Having a PC that can game is nice, but I found myself not really using it to play games. I use my PC everyday for software I run for my side hustle business, so selling my PC is out of the question. Would it be idiotic to not buy a GPU, or should I just save some money and go with the Series S?

A console is just a console. A PC is a far better investment since it can do other things than just play games and watch Netflix.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If you are using your PC to earn a living or earn money on the side, I would advise you to get another system for gaming. While I'm not a fan of game consoles, at least you can have your cake and eat it to.

You like mods for the games you play or play vanilla?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Sounds pretty self explanatory if you ask me.

You didn't play games on your PC before even when you had a good GPU, so I don't see why getting another GPU would change the situation that much.

The games you want to play are only available on console. So no matter how good of a GPU you buy, you won't be able to run the games you want to play.

I say go for the console, unless the GPU in the PC can help this "side hustle" you mentioned.

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Sounds pretty self explanatory if you ask me.

You didn't play games on your PC before even when you had a good GPU, so I don't see why getting another GPU would change the situation that much.

The games you want to play are only available on console. So no matter how good of a GPU you buy, you won't be able to run the games you want to play.

I say go for the console, unless the GPU in the PC can help this "side hustle" you mentioned.

I agree with you LAwLz, I say you should get a console because if you cannot play games you want to on a pc that you put a good gpu in that just get a console

go follow @sub68, @King of Memes and @wkdpaul.

I'd just stick with the console. No real reason to dump a ton of money back into the PC if you're not really going to use it.

On a side note, I remember reading that it's actually cheaper to get the monthly installment plan with the Xbox, as it includes the store sub. So that's probably the route I'd go. It's only like $25/month. On the flip side the Series X is only $35/mo 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

A console is just a console. A PC is a far better investment since it can do other things than just play games and watch Netflix.

He already has one. Did you not read the OP?

You can also watch Netflix on a console.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

He already has one. Did you not read the OP?

You can also watch Netflix on a console.

It you applied just one once of critical thought into reading my comment, you would see that I covered both lines of your reply in my initial comment already. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Going with a console for the exclusives if you don't game on your PC is not a bad choice.

I would do the same, but I do game and do other random stuff and would be impossible to do on a console.

Down the line if you feel like there's something you want to play on PC, you could always get a mid-range GPU if you don't want to spend a lot.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It you applied just one once of critical thought into reading my comment, you would see that I covered both lines of your reply in my initial comment already. 

Fair, but that doesn't negate the fact that you seemingly ignored the fact he'll still have a PC. So the things other than gaming, which he doesn't need to do on a PC as the games he wants to play aren't on there, is already taken care of.

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Plus, the Xbox consoles S/X series, and I think the PS5, are better investiments if you want 4k bluray.  Not sure if that matters to OP, but like it's a really bad experience PC.

He'll still have a PC...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, BHuff04 said:

...Ryzen 3600...

(...)

Would it be idiotic to not buy a GPU, or should I just save some money and go with the Series S?

If you have a Ryzen 3600, then yes, it would be idiotic to not buy any GPU if you intend to continue to use your PC, as you have no iGPU. If you go for the console option, you'd still need to get a GPU, even if used and a pretty basic at that (you may find good deals on used low end cards, new low end cards usually are too expensive for what they are), so take that into account in your budgeting.