Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blue_Incog

Getting into coding (suggestion)

Posted Original PosterOP

Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginner dificulty code language/ game engine i can start of with

i know the basics of coding like how it works some syntax etc.

Something like a more difficult scratch would be good

pls and thank 馃檪

4 minutes ago, Blue_Incog said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginner dificulty code language/ game engine i can start of with

i know the basics of coding like how it works some syntax etc.

Something like a more difficult scratch would be good

pls and thank 馃檪

python 2 or javascript, I tried java first it was too confusing

I suggest python. It's simpler than something like Java or JavaScript but it doesn't limit you. It's pretty easy to learn, and there are plenty of tutorials available including these videos from Microsoft that I have found very useful when learning python.

-> Moved to Programming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Whatever you want so long as its not niche or functional. If you want something good then you would take some thing from this list: https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/.

So: C, Java, Python, C++, C#, Visual Basic, JavaScript, PHP, R, Perl, Ruby, Go, and Swift. Take your pick, preferably in the first half of the list.

Python is easy to learn and is object oriented but, has somewhat limited usability. C++ is everywhere but, is dated making it more difficult to learn. Either would be good to learn (or better yet both).

30 minutes ago, G0dSpeed said:

Python is easy to learn and is object oriented but, has somewhat limited usability. C++ is everywhere but, is dated making it more difficult to learn. Either would be good to learn (or better yet both).

What can't you use python for?

1 hour ago, Sakuriru said:

What can't you use python for?

One of the main places its not used is game development since Python can be slow compared to C, C++, C#, etc. The only major exception I know is Eve Online although that uses "stackless" Python.

6 minutes ago, G0dSpeed said:

One of the main places its not used is game development since Python can be slow compared to C, C++, C#, etc. The only major exception I know is Eve Online although that uses "stackless" Python.

And there are games that don't.

Anyway for game design the only real choice is C++, or C# if you have your heart set on Unity, anything else is imo a mistake.

On 10/18/2020 at 1:59 AM, G0dSpeed said:

Python is easy to learn and is object oriented but, has somewhat limited usability.

In what way is python limit in usability?聽

I've used python for admin tasks on my machine, creating Web apis, doing data migrations at work, data integrity checks, Web scraping and bots.聽

Only limited by your ability聽

On 10/18/2020 at 3:32 AM, G0dSpeed said:

I think is more due to the eco system of games and that the vast majority of games are for Windows and a fault of python. You can use c modules with python for you time critical stuff.聽

On 10/18/2020 at 1:20 AM, Sakuriru said:

Whatever you want so long as its not niche or functional.

Totally a green with this go and haskell come to mind.聽

Definitely don't shy away from doing functional programming though.聽

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽 赂鈥灺宦'麓赂鈥灺宦'麓 Vorticalbox `'掳芦鈥灺竊'掳芦鈥灺
`'掳芦鈥灺嘎糕灺宦'麓赂鈥灺宦'麓`'掳芦鈥灺Scientia Potentia est聽 赂鈥灺宦'麓`'掳芦鈥灺竊'掳芦鈥灺嘎糕灺宦'麓

i would say Pyhton. not to hard to learn but lots of things you can do with it. i know sentdex has a Tutorial on Python and also videos on lots of other programing stuff. He also has a discord server where you can ask for help, mainly pyhton but they know other聽language

Sentdex YT:聽https://www.youtube.com/user/sentdex聽聽

Sentdex Discord:聽https://discord.gg/sentdex

On 10/17/2020 at 1:52 PM, Blue_Incog said:

Write in C.

(Knowing how memory allocation works can and will be useful later.)

Write in C.

A good middle ground would be C# + Unity Framework.

You would get a very good base / coding habits as it's a C language聽and Unity is a very good and well known engine.

There is tons and tons of support and tutorials for both.

Reading (skimming) through the replies it doesn't look like anyone has recommended Pygame (sorry if someone has). I found this quite fun to mess around with at a beginner level with thousands of video tutorials on how to do certain things if you get stuck.

C# is pretty cool in my opinion, its the one I started with and still primarily use.聽 There are many IDEs that can be used (VSCode!), and so many things that C# can be used for.聽

• Console apps
  • Windows forms apps
  • UWP windows apps (new style, think Windows 10 UI)
  • ASP.NET websites
  • Blazor apps
  • .NET API's
  • mobile apps with C# + Xamarin
  • + more...

C# is also able to be developed and ran on Windows, Mac & Linux, and is a good stepping stone (IMO) to later move into languages like C/C++.

EZ BAKE OVEN 3.5

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, 1.46v
16GB DDR4 @3400Mhz, 1.35v

MSI GTX 1060 3GB

x2 Corsair 500GB SSD

x2 Seagate 6TB HDD RAID 1 @7200RPM

Ubuntu 20.04

12 hours ago, AM29000 said:

C# is pretty cool in my opinion, its the one I started with and still primarily use.聽 There are many IDEs that can be used (VSCode!), and so many things that C# can be used for.聽

• Console apps
  • Windows forms apps
  • UWP windows apps (new style, think Windows 10 UI)
  • ASP.NET websites
  • Blazor apps
  • .NET API's
  • mobile apps with C# + Xamarin
  • + more...

C# is also able to be developed and ran on Windows, Mac & Linux, and is a good stepping stone (IMO) to later move into languages like C/C++.

Would learning C first help with snything at C#?

2 hours ago, AzzaNezz said:

Would learning C first help with snything at C#?

As @Dat Guy has already mentioned, C will teach you about how memory allocation works. Design choices and operator conventions will make more sense coming from a C background. But I won't say that it will have any direct impact on your level of skill programming in C#, as it's an extremely mature language with a very robust framework but it doesn't share a lot of similarities to C.

In academia, it's preferred to teach object oriented programming rather than to start at the low level, potentially to avoid overwhelming students with the nuance and details of what makes systems run. The reason I argue that C++ is the best choice for game programming in particular is because game programming is intended to be a highly optimized thing that works very closely with hardware, so knowing how memory allocation works is going to be beneficial and most game programming is done in C++.

2 hours ago, Sakuriru said:

As @Dat Guy has already mentioned, C will teach you about how memory allocation works. Design choices and operator conventions will make more sense coming from a C background. But I won't say that it will have any direct impact on your level of skill programming in C#, as it's an extremely mature language with a very robust framework but it doesn't share a lot of similarities to C.

In academia, it's preferred to teach object oriented programming rather than to start at the low level, potentially to avoid overwhelming students with the nuance and details of what makes systems run. The reason I argue that C++ is the best choice for game programming in particular is because game programming is intended to be a highly optimized thing that works very closely with hardware, so knowing how memory allocation works is going to be beneficial and most game programming is done in C++.

I am not interested in game programming just programming in general,thats why i asked.

3 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

I am not interested in game programming just programming in general,thats why i asked.

Feel free to start with C#. It's so well documented and setup for success you shouldn't have any trouble with it.