AMD ITX Motherboard & CPU recomendations

I'm hitting the big 40 in January the wife said I can spoil myself 

Currently have a i7 7700k  & 2070 super

so looking to go AMD 5000 CPU not sure what one and 3070 if i can get one lol

I have a NZXT H1 case so the motherboard needs to be ITX & have, USB 3.2 motherboard connector

So what 5k AMD CPU and itx board will be a good update

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

I'm hitting the big 40 in January the wife said I can spoil myself 

Currently have a i7 7700k  & 2070 super

so looking to go AMD 5000 CPU not sure what one and 3070 if i can get one lol

I have a NZXT H1 case so the motherboard needs to be ITX & have, USB 3.2 motherboard connector

I use the B450-I ROG board and if I ever upgrade my HTPC to B550, I'll likely get the equivalent board. Needles to say, it's a pretty sweet board, top of it's class. Unfortunately, isn't the cheapest ITX board......lol. But packs quite a punch with a stout VRM setup.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Needles to say, it's a pretty sweet board, top of it's class. Unfortunately, isn't the cheapest ITX board......lol. But packs quite a punch with a stout VRM setup.

B550 strix, sure. B450 strix is kinda "eh" for what it offers. Given what else you can get. 

9 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

B550i Auros AX Looks allright. 

Also has bios flashback if you need to update the bios. And current pricing of it is allright. 

Going by what SKUs AMD has revealed thus far, even the least expensive 5600X would be a hefty upgrade over your 7700K pretty much across the board. 

The 5800X is in too weird of a spot in terms of price imo for me to recommend. We'll have to wait for reviews to see what it's really capable of, obviously, but it doesn't strike me as too good of a deal at the moment.

For the motherboard, I'd look strictly at B550 and X570. Some B450 boards are supposed to get beta BIOS updates to support Zen 3 in January, but it's not quite optimal and afaik no ITX B450 boards feature front panel Type-C connectors anyway, so I think those are out of the question.

The best board for the price at the moment looks to be the B550I Aorus Pro AX. The Strix B550-I is a little more expensive and has a weaker VRM - I'm not quite sure what it's got over the Aorus board feature-wise, but I can't imagine that it's anything too noteworthy.

If you want to go with X570, my pick would be the Strix X570-I, though to be fair, most of X570's benefits over B550 aren't really being used on ITX, so spending the extra money might not really be worth it.

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

B550 strix, sure. B450 strix is kinda "eh" for what it offers. Given what else you can get. 

The Strix B450-I is about as good as B450 ITX gets, along with the B450I Gaming Plus from MSI.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Strix B450-I is about as good as B450 ITX gets, along with the B450I Gaming Plus from MSI.

Yeah perhaps im a bit hard on the strix, but the normal cost of the gaming plus didnt make the strix all that noteworthy. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Yeah perhaps im a bit hard on the strix, but the normal cost of the gaming plus didnt make the strix all that noteworthy. 

Eh, the VRM on the Gaming Plus is what makes it so good for the money, but if you care about Intel LAN or fancy onboard audio, the Strix really wasn't/isn't too bad of a choice for ~$20-30 over the MSI board imo.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

While I didn't suggest the B450 model, I purchased mine used for 45 bucks In box and accessories from an OC forum. So the price was very well justified for me. Knowing people and being in the right places at the right time has it's advantages ;)

It all depends on your budget, but looking at the boards, to me, it looks like the:

ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming is the better one/best ITX form factor

• Excellent VRM with cooling fan which only kicks in when they are under heavy load (if you plan to get a 12 or 16 core CPU and OC it, it is nice to have)
  • Lots of USB ports 
  • WiFI 6
  • Good location of most ports on the board
  • ASUS makes pretty good UEFI's
  • 1GB Intel controller Ethernet

It's only flaw I can see, is that it doesn't have the front USB Type-C header. Only the newer B550 version (ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING) has it. But you lose A LOT of USB port (has only 3 Type-A! What a joke!), they are using much lower quality VRM (which are still perfectly fine, they are not terrible or anything, fine if you don't plan to put a 16-core CPU or something). Oh, you do gain 2.5Gbps Intel Ethernet over 1Gbps (does it really matter? Do you have Fiber Internet above 1000Mbps to care?). Also, the price between this board and the X570 is almost identical. Like pretty much all reviewers said: "I don't get it"

Thanks for the help guys. 

I have a strix board so leaving towards them. 

Only thing with the x570 strix board is it doesn't have the on board usb c 3 port. 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

You said in January? There is rumors of AMD releasing the 5600 (which is a slightly downclocked 5600X with the rumoured price of 220 dollars) in early 2021. It's up to you if you want to wait, I'm just throwing it out there.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

1 hour ago, shaz2sxy said:

Thanks for the help guys. 

I have a strix board so leaving towards them. 

Only thing with the x570 strix board is it doesn't have the on board usb c 3 port. 

If you can wait, there is word passing around that while no chipset is coming out for AMD, that motherboard manufacture will refresh their board. If it were my guess, CES 2021 which will be in early January. Hopefully, the X570 Strix will be updated with USB Type-C at the front.

that will be interesteing if they do a refresh. 

as the x570 boards could do with one

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC