The HID Liberator

TheProfosist

I was compensated which included a partial exchange. I enjoy the process every time as its one of my favorite hobbies. I have built quite a few boards for people when im not working on one for myself.

I dont think many people on this forum would as they have only recently switched from rubber domes and ever if they havnt they dont know how the board is put together.

As for where to start, I could help you but if you want to do it all your self your going to have to do your research. I suggest heading over to GeekHack.org and Deskthority.net and do some lurking.

Do those two sites have tutorials/videos or any learning materials to get me started? Sorry, I would go check it out but my phone is deciding to be a donkey tonight.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Do those two sites have tutorials/videos or any learning materials to get me started? Sorry, I would go check it out but my phone is deciding to be a donkey tonight.

yep and GH has proper support for tapatalk. Since your in the US I would probably try GeekHack since its US/NA based. You can ask questions but make sure theyre specific which is why I recommend reading stuff first since much of what your looking for is likely out there. Oh an ive never been on a forum that had a good search engine so I suggest using google. Here is a example of what I mean site:geekhack.org how to desolder a keyboard

• 1 month later...

That's awesome I wasn't too clear if you guys bought 87 switches by them self?

That's awesome I wasn't too clear if you guys bought 87 switches by them self?

I bought more than 87 but yes I just bought lone switches to swap in.

I bought more than 87 but yes I just bought lone switches to swap in.

thank you and also where did you buy them

thank you and also where did you buy them

Got them from a group but on GeekHack but I believe that person has since switched to Deskthority.

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed that last picture as the url for it was incorrect for some reason.

• 1 month later...

I've always dreamed of having a fully custom keyboard.  You are so privileged :) 

I've always dreamed of having a fully custom keyboard.  You are so privileged :)

This actually isnt my board its my friends that he and I built. I do have a few that I have built for myself.

This actually isnt my board its my friends that he and I built. I do have a few that I have built for myself.

still, your really lucky to be able to do that :)  And also skilled as well, I accidentally scratched so many things building my pc I thought it was gonna blow up at post, but... it didn't so.

I would be completely hopeless building a keyboard :P 

Nice. This is very informative.

Thanks, if you have any questions please let me know.

• 8 months later...

Niiiiiiiiice!! 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Niiiiiiiiice!!

Lol thanks man. I really need to find time to do another keyboard project since this one is so popular. lol

I dont know why i havent seen this yet, anyway nice job on this mod

My guess is because the thread is over a year old now but it is one of my better logs if I do say so myself. More of this sort of stuff hopefully coming in the future!

Impressive:O I love it :wub: :lol:

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

@TheProfosist

This looks so nice and also quite similar to mine. I am currently using a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (Black switches) that my friend modded for me. He painted the PCB white, changed the MX Blacks to Browns, put on custom rainbow keycaps, replaced the controller (don't rememer what the new one is) and wrapped it in a wood grain vinyl. May the Filco custom keyboard master-race live on! 

@TheProfosist

This looks so nice and also quite similar to mine. I am currently using a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (Black switches) that my friend modded for me. He painted the PCB white, changed the MX Blacks to Browns, put on custom rainbow keycaps, replaced the controller (don't rememer what the new one is) and wrapped it in a wood grain vinyl. May the Filco custom keyboard master-race live on! 

Dude take some nice pics and wither make your own thread if you have assembly pics or hit up the Mech Keyboard Club

I also would have to assume its the same controller as I dont know of another for a Filco. Did you do any custom programming on it?

Dude take some nice pics and wither make your own thread if you have assembly pics or hit up the Mech Keyboard ClubI also would have to assume its the same controller as I dont know of another for a Filco. Did you do any custom programming on it?

I want to say there have been a few custom controllers made for them but can't think of them right now.

I want to say there have been a few custom controllers made for them but can't think of them right now.

really? The HID Liberator was open so could they just be reprints of that.