Tips for removing Wraith Prism

dpeter

Hello guys, I have a ryzen 3700x running on the stock cooler and i ordered an AIO from Coolermaster ( ML240L V2 RGB), and i just heard about the cpu being "glued" to the cooler when removing the wraith prism and now im starting to panic thinking im about to break my cpu. Is there any safe way(minimal risk) of removing this cooler? I also noticed that on all unboxing videos i have seen the pre-applied thermal paste was a solid square and in my case it was little circles in the square area(less thermal paste than normal), is this an attempt by AMD to minimize this fatality?(My cpu is not even a week old)

Intel Core i5-12600K            Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X            XPG Gammix  D10 (4x8GB) DDR4-3200Mhz

ADATA Falcon 512GB            Nvme  XPG Gammix S41 TUF 256GB Nvme            WD Green 480GB Nvme

Zotac Geforce RTX 2070 Super            XPG Core Reactor 850W            Seagate HD 1TB 7200rpm                       

Noctua NH-D15            AOC 24G2/BK           Corsair 4000D            Corsair K68            Logitech G502 Hero           

So twist and pull is 100% safe?

Intel Core i5-12600K            Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X            XPG Gammix  D10 (4x8GB) DDR4-3200Mhz

ADATA Falcon 512GB            Nvme  XPG Gammix S41 TUF 256GB Nvme            WD Green 480GB Nvme

Zotac Geforce RTX 2070 Super            XPG Core Reactor 850W            Seagate HD 1TB 7200rpm                       

Noctua NH-D15            AOC 24G2/BK           Corsair 4000D            Corsair K68            Logitech G502 Hero           

Yes, it's very common for AMD CPU to be stuck in the cooler when removing

If you pull it straight out, the pins won't be bent

The pins are bent when people are shocked and knock the CPU against the socket

The safe way is to run the system for a bit to warm the paste, make it runnier

Then turn it off, unscrew the cooler and rotate it a bit to loosen the paste, then tilt the cooler gently instead of pulling up, once you feel the CPU is unstuck you can pull the cooler up

AMD mounting really sucks, just saying

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Yes, it's very common for AMD CPU to be stuck in the cooler when removing

If you pull it straight out, the pins won't be bent

The pins are bent when people are shocked and knock the CPU against the socket

The safe way is to run the system for a bit to warm the paste, make it runnier

Then turn it off, unscrew the cooler and rotate it a bit to loosen the paste, then tilt the cooler gently instead of pulling up, once you feel the CPU is unstuck you can pull the cooler up

AMD mounting really sucks, just saying

Intel Fanboy be like...

Ok, twist and pull it is, thanks for the help guys, i was really panicking here about this.

Once the AIO arrives i will try this method :)

Also, if you can, run a stress test, then shut down as quickly as you can and de-mount it right away. In theory this helps warm up the TIM and keep it from sticking.

I just upgraded to the very same AIO, and my old cooler (wraith stealth) came off easily—I'd been running F@H just prior.

Will do, thanks for the help

1 minute ago, dpeter said:

Will do, thanks for the help

You have to quote or mention the person you're replying to or else they won't see it

@Moonzy for example

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

You have to quote or mention the person you're replying to or else they won't see it

@Moonzy for example

Sorry, im kinda new to the forum...

Just now, dpeter said:

Sorry, im kinda new to the forum...

Don't have to be sorry, just letting you know

Welcome to the forums

The way I usually do this, I would heat up the CPU for a bit using a program like Cinebench, in the hopes of at least making it so the thermal paste isn't full dry.

Personally I don't like the twist route, so I personally avoid that, but you just gotta make sure the cooler doesn't pop off at once, possibly causing the CPU to pull out of the socket and fall. So just slowly remove it.

13 minutes ago, BlazerBuddy said:

Intel Fanboy be like...

I'm just about the biggest AMD fan on this forum and can easily tell you: AMD's current PGA mounting system SUCKS.

It would probably cost them a dollar per motherboard in materials to just have a metal cover over the CPU socket, like Intel does; or like AMD does on their LGA sockets (like TR4 and TR4x).

What you showed is more like fanboy-ism, taking any criticism and spinning it as fanboyism of the other side. That's an unhealthy attitude towards feedback.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 minutes ago, BlazerBuddy said:

Intel Fanboy be like...

Yeah, if you like your CPU actually sitting securely in the socket you're obviously just an Intel fanboy. /s

Intel used to have PGA on their CPUs up until 775 if I'm not mistaken, so 2004, 2005.. sometime around then. Then they probably realised that LGA is pretty much just better for the consumer.

It's not like AMD sticking to PGA saves them money or anything, or at least I really can't imagine that it does. Whatever they're saving on not going with LGA on their boards/CPUs it obviously not even close to matching the money they're spending on RMAs because of people trying to take CPUs off of heatsinks.

Their HEDT and server sockets are LGA though, so good thing security matters for those markets at least.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Not sure if mentioned, I didnt read the thread - but get the CPU hot, shut down and then take cooler off using the twist and pull method, gets that TIM to loosen up its grip by getting it hot first

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

29 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

Also, if you can, run a stress test, then shut down as quickly as you can and de-mount it right away. In theory this helps warm up the TIM and keep it from sticking.

I just upgraded to the very same AIO, and my old cooler (wraith stealth) came off easily—I'd been running F@H just prior.

How is that AIO treating you?

@dpeter

As already mentioned by a few other forum members, twist the CPU cooler, and pulling slightly should help loosen the CPU cooler from the thermal paste.

Another good top ON TOP of that, remove the CPU cooler while the thermal paste is still hot / warm.

Meaning, use the PC, or let it idle on Desktop for maybe 15 ~ 30 minutes, and let it warm up the heatsink + thermal paste, so it is not as hard / sticky.

Hell, or run it through a quick gaming session, or stress test if you want.

Old thermal paste can be like glue, while hot/warm thermal paste can be more liquid.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

@dpeter

As already mentioned by a few other forum members, twist the CPU cooler, and pulling slightly should help loosen the CPU cooler from the thermal paste.

Another good top ON TOP of that, remove the CPU cooler while the thermal paste is still hot / warm.

Meaning, use the PC, or let it idle on Desktop for maybe 15 ~ 30 minutes, and let it warm up the heatsink + thermal paste, so it is not as hard / sticky.

Hell, or run it through a quick gaming session, or stress test if you want.

Old thermal paste can be like glue, while hot/warm thermal paste can be more liquid.

Newer thermal paste is softer? I assembled my pc this week still, AIO arrives on monday...

And last question, if i do fuck it up and the cpu comes out glued to the cooler, does the warranty covers it if the cpu gets broken in the process?

3 hours ago, dpeter said:

How is that AIO treating you?

So far, pretty well. I've got it on an R5 3600, where it's probably a little overkill.

With the stock cooler (Wraith Prism), I could F@H with 5-6 threads and hover around 80C (and gradually higher than that). Now I do 10 (leaves a couple open for the OS and for GPU folding orchestration) and I've been steady at 70. (I've been running it for nearly 24 hours now; I installed the AIO last night).

My GPU went from low 60s to about 70 as well (my case only has front mounts for a 240, so it gets the warmed air from the rad), but that's still in a comfortable range.

I love it. And I grabbed an extra CM Sickle Flow 120 fan for my exhaust so it matches.

Hey guys, just wanna say thank you. I removed the cooler successfully and if i didnt do the twist the cpu would have come out. Everything worked out :)

I removed  ryzen cpus 4 times now, never an issue except when the freaking cooler flew into my exhaust fan because I forgot there was a back plate holding it so I was a bit too rough... 😂

Nothing happened though as far I can tell... I was a bit afraid the pins would be bent but there's nothing, also pc works 99% most of the time 🤷🏾‍♀️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity