Spontaneous computer shitshow

smxth_

Hey,

SPECS OF MY PC:

-AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (not oc)

-Asus b450f strix mobo

-G.Skill Trident Z rgb 3200Mhz (2x8gb, cl16)

-Gtx 1070 Strix

-Seagate Barracuda Compute 2tb 7200rpm (main drive, w win10 installed)

-Kingston A400 256gb ssd (untouched)

-EVGA GQ 750w 80+ gold

Ive come here looking for help. Recently this year i built my first computer, with little difficulty and issues. my main issue was RAM, as i had not noticed it wasnt listed on qvl for my mobo and gave me problems regularly. Today i woke up to the RAM indicator light flashing on my mobo, and i didnt think much of it, and simply hard reset. Upon entering bios, i have EXTREME artifacts, my cpu is idling at near 75c, and overvolting to hell at 1.645v. while i have managed to "fix" the issue with my cpu overvolting (turning down a built-in performance enhancer, which honestly never did alot), i cannot boot. my hard drive, which had contained my installation of windows, leads to a black screen with a flashing underscore. The old usb tactic hasnt worked either, as all i get after attempting this multiple times (and reformatting the usb and creating the media twice now) is "BLInstallationLibrary failure 0xc0000229". i feel as if part of the cpu may be dead due to the artifacts, but im really not sure. and suprisingly, my RAM is reporting normal with the xmp profile applied, as are the voltages from my power supply itself. every component in this computer is brand new and less than a year old, minus the gpu (second hand, functions perfectly). ive tried what i know how to do  and nothing has worked. i was using this computer just last night to play, and now its unable to do anything but BIOS. any help would be greatly appreciated.

20201013_192819.jpg

UPDATE : recently got a rtx 2070 strix. has not solved my problem with the artifacting. Any other recommendations?

Edited by smxth_

7 minutes ago, smxth_ said:

minus the gpu (second hand, functions perfectly)

Looks like your Video card is bunk. Do you have another one around to test with?

artifacting is normally a GPU issue

is the GPU known working in other systems?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Tried the good old CMOS reset yet?

That's the first thing you should do.

Then start eliminating component by component.

RAM is usually a good start, but I don't believe that's your issue. If you're able to get your hands on a different GPU, motherboard or CPU to try and test, then you know what you gotta do. Otherwise you should start contacting the manufacturers and see what they can do for you.

Almost looks like my old 7970 I used to mine crypto. That thing was a beast. But alas eventually this happened. I could get into BIOS (looked very similar) but could never get it back to windows. RIP sweet card.

1 hour ago, Bad5ector said:

Looks like your Video card is bunk. Do you have another one around to test with?

unfortunatly no. however, there still should be a way to boot, right? never encountered this before.

43 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Tried the good old CMOS reset yet?

That's the first thing you should do.

Then start eliminating component by component.

RAM is usually a good start, but I don't believe that's your issue. If you're able to get your hands on a different GPU, motherboard or CPU to try and test, then you know what you gotta do. Otherwise you should start contacting the manufacturers and see what they can do for you.

could you point me in the direction on how to do a cmos reset? still new to this  only know some basic things from fixing my laptop and this computer.

6 minutes ago, smxth_ said:

unfortunatly no. however, there still should be a way to boot, right? never encountered this before.

Unfortunately no. Not going to get very far without working video. 

4 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Unfortunately no. Not going to get very far without working video. 

fair enough. just decided to pull out the gpu anyway, worth a shot. i might be wrong but is this contactor intended to be shorter?

16026312283854725276682626287999.jpg

Just now, Bad5ector said:

That is normal I believe. 

okay. after pulling the gpu, i also noticed that the green indicator light didnt remain on for nearly as long (i believe its a boot light for the b450f), so as soon as i cop the nearest 3070, ill let you know!

Do you know what your second hand GPU did in its previous life? Do you know if it was used for Crypto mining?

4 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Do you know what your second hand GPU did in its previous life? Do you know if it was used for Crypto mining?

wasnt a mining card. i am technically the third owner, but only the second user. the first person bought the card and never used it, left in its packaging. the second guy bought it many years later, and used it for about 6 to 8 months. then i received it and started using it in january. ive had no proboems with it except for some of the rgb not working correctly.