Starting my own webshop.

JurKuip123

Hey there!

I had an idea to start my own webshop in te pc components /building a custom pc for costumers.

At the start would it be a part-time thing because i still have a full-time job.

but my question to you (the reader) is would you order an custom pc to your liking?

you can pick every component in an configurator and if you pick for example and intel motherboard then the only thing that shows up is an intel cpu that is compatible with that specific socket type. So that there is no way for the customer to pick an wrong component. and of course delivered to your home ! 

or do you still want to build your own pc?

the reason i ask this question is to find out if there is any demand for an service like this, and if the market isn't over populated with tech companies that already give this service.

i cant wait to read the comments!

No.

Unfortunatly there is already a lot of places/people that do this, so it is not really a good option for a successful business.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

personally yes im on of those freaks who is busy like a bee

and there are alot of people how can select components but suck at assembly 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

I think you'd have better luck offering a tiered service with set components and offering a warranty with each system. Otherwise if all you're doing is building the parts I pick out I don't see it...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

30 minutes ago, Velcade said:

I think you'd have better luck offering a tiered service with set components and offering a warranty with each system. Otherwise if all you're doing is building the parts I pick out I don't see it...

thank your response,

do you mean offering for example 1 pc thats is an decent gaming and an other that is a good gaming machine and an other one that is an beast gaming machine?

my though was on selecting your own components is you can make completely to your liking. no RGB, with RGB, water-cooled, not water-cooled etc.

I donˋt think the margins are big enough to make it worthwhile. The profit is in upselling with additional warranty, service, ...

I would but many say not worth the markup  

i also wouldn’t really trust random Joe Schmo to build my PC. 

20 hours ago, JurKuip123 said:

Hey there!

I had an idea to start my own webshop in te pc components /building a custom pc for costumers.

At the start would it be a part-time thing because i still have a full-time job.

but my question to you (the reader) is would you order an custom pc to your liking?

you can pick every component in an configurator and if you pick for example and intel motherboard then the only thing that shows up is an intel cpu that is compatible with that specific socket type. So that there is no way for the customer to pick an wrong component. and of course delivered to your home ! 

the reason i ask this question is to find out if there is any demand for an service like this, and if the market isn't over populated with tech companies that already give this service.

Services like this already exist - what would make your service better? Why would I choose to configure a custom PC on your website instead of, say, CyberPower or Dell or any number of OEM's and system builders that let you configure individual components?

In fact, what you're describing is basically the bare minimum for a custom configurator PC building business. What sets you apart?

The realistic thing is that yes, you can do this. But the PC Building market is very cut-throat, very low margin, and very saturated. So odds are you wouldn't make much money.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

No I wouldn't.

Same reason others have already said, there are trusted companies like HP and others that have been doing it for ever.

I would either build it myself or buy from one of them.

What I usually do is what I think a lot of people do.

Buy from HP and then upgrade with off the shelf parts. 😄

Just because it's fun.

Good for you though for trying to make your own business.

I'm definitely not an expert but if I was going to start a business.

The first question I'd ask myself before anything else is what is unique about your service or product?

Why should someone buy from you over the rest?

Besides the other day to day business concerns that seems like the most important puzzle I think I would need to figure out before I started.

Good luck with it. 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:30 PM, JurKuip123 said:

Hey there!

Depends on a lot of things. Scout the market for similar options and figure out if you can do it better and or cheaper than they can. Also depends a lot on your location. You have to know one thing though. In most markets there's a lot of competition and very aggressive pricing, making it hard for a small business to make it. 

Edit:  Basically this.

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Services like this already exist - what would make your service better? Why would I choose to configure a custom PC on your website instead of, say, CyberPower or Dell or any number of OEM's and system builders that let you configure individual components?

In fact, what you're describing is basically the bare minimum for a custom configurator PC building business. What sets you apart?

The realistic thing is that yes, you can do this. But the PC Building market is very cut-throat, very low margin, and very saturated. So odds are you wouldn't make much money.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, Intergalacticbits said:

trusted companies like HP

Best laugh I've had all year.

To the OP, 

Go for it. While I'm not in the market for a new system currently, a pre-built, provided it's done properly (wiring, etc) is something I'd consider, if you offered things like proper Workstations.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 1:30 PM, JurKuip123 said:

Nope, not through independent sellers like what you want to do. You'd be preying on the uninformed customer who would buy what your building, and those are to few and far between when they just go to bestbuy and buy a pc on the spot. Everyone else would go to memoryexpress or bestbuy or microcomputer chain stores if they build pc's. A few reasons, ease of return, brick and mortar store, big company, actual protections in place for buyers then some random dude from an online website.

On 10/14/2020 at 7:07 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Best laugh I've had all year.

there old stuff is good but my dads desktop and my moms laptop both hp died this year

they switched to dell laptops.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 hours ago, sub68 said:

there old stuff is good but my dads desktop and my moms laptop both hp died this year

they switched to dell laptops.

Yes, back when the founder's actually ran the place in the 70s and 80s, it's been a very long time since HP were anything other than suckage.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes, back when the founder's actually ran the place in the 70s and 80s, it's been a very long time since HP were anything other than suckage.

my current desktop is ok (the psu can't be upgraded though)

but yeah its been awhile since hp brought back there game

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I think our niche market is saturated for this type of service (Puget Systemm, OriginPC, etc...). But hey, if you want put a configurator on your website maybe I'll see how it compares to PCpartpicker's then use it for my next build. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...