Ryzen 3700x is toasty

I over clocked my processor about 20 min after I installed my new system and I have it running at 4.4Ghz constant on auto volts.

Since it's folding month I started running my F@H for CPU and GPU. My GPU is warm but well within what I consider perfect.

My CPU is running at 97c-103c while folding. Seems pretty damn hot for a water cooled system.

My GPU sits at 41c-44c while folding

My loop is as follows:

Res, dual EK D5 pumps at 100%, GPU, CPU, 240 rad, 360 rad, back to the res.

My fans are at 80% on both rads.

GPU block is alpahcool

CPU block is Bitspower

I used EK thermal paste on everything.

MSI x570-A Pro

Ryzen 7 3700x

Asus ROG RX 5700 XT (OC to 2100)

32GB G-Skill trident Z at 2667 MHz

Custom water loop with 10mm ID tubing

gpu.png.aa6835d4a9b7141734c5d815457571a9.png

gpu a.jpg

cpu.jpg

try reseating the cpu block you might not have good pressure on it

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10 Home 64-Bit EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS (Both use no DSC, No HDR, and 8BPC)

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

Theres no way your CPU is running at 94 Celsius unless something is wrong with your pump, the block on the cpu, or the thermal paste. My 3800x running a 1.375v at 4.4ghz didnt break 87 degrees on a NH-d15, unless you are pumping more voltage than that.

Can you hear the pump running?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

I have it running at 4.4Ghz constant on auto volts.

Bruh...

Ryzen 3000 is notorious for running stupidly high core voltages. Drop it down to like 1.3 and see what happens (you most likely won't be stable at 4.4 GHz after this btw)

11 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Theres no way your CPU is running at 94 Celsius unless something is wrong with your pump, the block on the cpu, or the thermal paste. My 3800x running a 1.375v at 4.4ghz didnt break 87 degrees on a NH-d15, unless you are pumping more voltage than that.

It's auto which has it at 1.456v

10 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Can you hear the pump running?

I can feel them both working and if I unplug one oth the other the little flow meter spinner still moves, so they work.

8 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Bruh...

Ryzen 3000 is notorious for running stupidly high core voltages. Drop it down to like 1.3 and see what happens (you most likely won't be stable at 4.4 GHz after this btw)

Then why would I drop the volts if it might not be stable?

I'm gonna get around to cranking it up, hoping to get 5GHz or higher, but pretty concerned at this temps only at 4.4 something ain't right.

30 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

try reseating the cpu block you might not have good pressure on it

Problem with that is draining the loop. Hard tubing looks damn cool but it's terribly inconvenient at times.

I'm thinking if I'm have to pull it apart I might as well lap the CPU and waterblock, did that to my 2700x and it dropped 12c.

24 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

It's auto which has it at 1.456v

I can feel them both working and if I unplug one oth the other the little flow meter spinner still moves, so they work.

I'm gonna get around to cranking it up, hoping to get 5GHz or higher, but pretty concerned at this temps only at 4.4 something ain't right.

Problem with that is draining the loop. Hard tubing looks damn cool but it's terribly inconvenient at times.

I'm thinking if I'm have to pull it apart I might as well lap the CPU and waterblock, did that to my 2700x and it dropped 12c.

You must not be really well informed about ryzen CPUS then... You do realize that 4.4/4.5 ghz is the hard limit on the 3000 series right? You arent going to get even close to 5 ghz lol.

Auto voltage isnt a static 1.456v, its usually a dynamic changing one. id set it at 1.325v or 1.35v and see what your thermals are after.

1 hour ago, airborne spoon said:

Uhh...because of your incredibly unsafe temperatures? You know...the whole reason for this topic😂

When overclocking there are two walls your chip will run into. A voltage wall, where you have to dramatically increase the voltage for small gains. And a temp wall, which is where you exceed the capabilities of your cooling solution. You're obviously running into the second one so therefore you need to dial back your overclock and voltage until it's within a decent temperature.

From what I've read online the general consensus is to not exceed 85 degrees Celsius on your cores, AMD throttles at 95C but that's when the CPU is trying to save itself, not limit degradation.

I have the same CPU and I would not under any circumstance let it run at  a constant 4.4 at 1.45v especially if you're going to be blasting it with max load for hours. If you don't care about it dying at all and you wanna see how fast it breaks then maybe but if your goal was high ghz you should've gone Intel. 4.5 at 1.5V is pretty much absurdity land territory.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

damn.... and here I thought the old FX days were long gone.

Ryzens aren't really built for overclocking, you kind of get what you pay for, and yes I do have a Ryzen chip, it's great but I won't overclock it for now as it's more than enough for what I use it for which is college stuff and some games.

It's not even about getting what you paid for it's the architecture and chiplet design. Mine runs at 4250 stable at around 1.3V and I'm perfectly content losing a little bit of performance but gaining silence and great thermals. We should remember that IPC on Ryzen (even 3000 series) is higher than Intels so ghz isn't everything. Do I sometimes wish I had that extra 20-50FPS at 1080p in competitive titles? Yes I do. Am I willing to get a blazing hot Intel chip with less cores (or one that costs more than double) in return for those FPS? No I am not. Not giving Intel money for their 10 year old architecture based on complacency  is a nice incentive as well.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

45 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

I have the same CPU and I would not under any circumstance let it run at  a constant 4.4 at 1.45v especially if you're going to be blasting it with max load for hours. If you don't care about it dying at all and you wanna see how fast it breaks then maybe but if your goal was high ghz you should've gone Intel. 4.5 at 1.5V is pretty much absurdity land territory.

Well I am looking at the 5900x it's looking pretty good, and if this was to die or something I may snag one up in a few months 🤷‍♂️😂

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Uhh...because of your incredibly unsafe temperatures? You know...the whole reason for this topic😂

When overclocking there are two walls your chip will run into. A voltage wall, where you have to dramatically increase the voltage for small gains. And a temp wall, which is where you exceed the capabilities of your cooling solution. You're obviously running into the second one so therefore you need to dial back your overclock and voltage until it's within a decent temperature.

From what I've read online the general consensus is to not exceed 85 degrees Celsius on your cores, AMD throttles at 95C but that's when the CPU is trying to save itself, not limit degradation.

I thought when a chip got too hot it would thermal throttle itself as it deemed necessary. I've never gotten one that hot though, especially on water.

I think I'll just hold off on folding with the CPU and do GPU only till this weekend when I'll have some time to drain the loop and lap them.

I'll make sure I check the imprint of the paste to see what kind of connection it made when I disassemble. But I'll lap both the CPU and the block so even if it has a crap imprint that'll smooth it up.

9 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

Well I am looking at the 5900x it's looking pretty good, and if this was to die or something I may snag one up in a few months 🤷‍♂️😂

I thought when a chip got too hot it would thermal throttle itself as it deemed necessary. I've never gotten one that hot though, especially on water.

I think I'll just hold off on folding with the CPU and do GPU only till this weekend when I'll have some time to drain the loop and lap them.

I'll make sure I check the imprint of the paste to see what kind of connection it made when I disassemble. But I'll lap both the CPU and the block so even if it has a crap imprint that'll smooth it up.

You need to remember that heat increases with voltage exponentionally once you go above the voltages that the CPU is designed to operate under. I won't be shocked even slightly if that's the actual temperature of the chip even if properly installed and under water.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

16 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

You need to remember that heat increases with voltage exponentionally once you go above the voltages that the CPU is designed to operate under. I won't be shocked even slightly if that's the actual temperature of the chip even if properly installed and under water.

Yeah but it seems overly hot. Like my 2700x was at 4.5 and hung out at 85-90c under intense prime95 load. But I also had a full cover monoblock for that one and lapped everything on it before the initial install.

3 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

Like my 2700x was at 4.5 

I'd love to see a screen shot of this!

15 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

You do realize that throttling isn't a "dial in highest possible overclock and have the CPU dial it back" feature right? It's a safety measure to keep the CPU from destroying itself from overheating...It's actually quite a terrible thing to do to a CPU regarding longevity. Download CPU-Z and watch what the core voltage goes to when you're folding to see what the vcore actually is during that time since you have it set to Auto.

18 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

200efce29966e36dedaa57eb97e4ad8a.jpg

That is going to make ZERO difference if you're pumping a stupid amount of voltage into it by leaving it on Auto.

21 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

I'll make sure I check the imprint of the paste

Again, not going to matter if you're just dumping a shitload of voltage on the cores. Serious question, how did you learn how to overclock? This entire thread is a WTF moment when it comes to overclocking. You never leave the vcore on Auto and you should NEVER just let the CPU bounce off the throttle limit continuously. Do yourself a favor and start with a mild all core OC of like 4.2 GHz at 1.25 vcore and then run a stress test like Prime95 for 15 minutes and watch your temps. If none of threads fail in P95 and your temps are good (under 85C) then bump up the clockspeed to something like 4.25 GHz and then run P95 again. Repeat this process until a thread fails and then bump your vcore up by the smallest voltage increment in your BIOS, then boot and run P95 again to check and see if it was enough to make you stable. Then just do this process until your temps hit their max safe temp (again, 85C). Once you get to that point then run P95 overnight to do a completely stability test and then you should be golden if none of the threads fail. If a thread fails during the overnight stability test then back the clockspeed off by 25 MHz and try it again. Once all threads are stable overnight then you've found your max stable overclock.

29 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

It's going to have the same problem if you just do the exact same thing you've done with your 3700X so if you're buying it to "fix" this issue you're going to just be throwing your money away.

For reference I'm running a 4.25 GHz overclock on my 3700X with a vcore of 1.295 and my temps stay in the mid 70's to low 80's depending on what type of workload I'm running at the time. I tried running a 4.3 GHz OC but my CPU hit a voltage wall and needed more than 1.35v on the core in order to even come close to being stable and that made my temps spike into the upper 80's so I had to back it off because it wasn't worth it in the slightest for a measly 25 MHz.

So OP has all the money to build dual pump custom loop. But don't know how to manually set vcore for the CPU.

Just now, Deli said:

So OP has all the money to build dual pump custom loop. But don't know how to manually set vcore for the CPU.

I want to see the 2700X at 4.5ghz screen shot first. That's 100mhz faster than he's at now!!

18 hours ago, Deli said:

Yeah, this guy doesn't have any idea what he's actually doing from the sounds of it. From using thermal throttling as a "feature" to dial back an overclock to being defiant AGAINST setting his vcore manually makes me just think he's trolling us honestly.