How should I position my case fans?

Rxplants

I am running an air cooled ryzen 3700x, and a reddevil 5700xt. My case has 2 fan slots in the front, 2 at the top and 1 at the back. Should I have the top and front fans sucking fresh air in with just one exhaust? Not sure of the best config

5 minutes ago, Rxplants said:

I am running an air cooled ryzen 3700x, and a reddevil 5700xt. My case has 2 fan slots in the front, 2 at the top and 1 at the back. Should I have the top and front fans sucking fresh air in with just one exhaust? Not sure of the best config

I would go for 2 front intake and one rear exhaust first and see how thermals go from there. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I would go for 2 front intake and one rear exhaust first and see how thermals go from there. 

I already have all four fans though why would I do that

1 minute ago, Rxplants said:

I already have all four fans though why would I do that

Adding a top fan can increase noise with minimal impact on thermals.

Only add the top fan if needed and you are OK with the extra noise. Don’t just add it because you have the fan.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Just now, NineEyeRon said:

Adding a top fan can increase noise with minimal impact on thermals.

Only add the top fan if needed and you are OK with the extra noise. Don’t just add it because you have the fan.

I was originally running it with 2 intakes in the front and one exhaust and my gpu was getting to 95 cel. Temps dropped when I opened side panel, so please tell me how I should position all 5 fans like I just asked?

11 minutes ago, Rxplants said:

Never mind forget it, cant get a good answer going to toms tech

Well you're a stubborn one aren't you.

14 minutes ago, Rxplants said:

I was originally running it with 2 intakes in the front and one exhaust and my gpu was getting to 95 cel. Temps dropped when I opened side panel, so please tell me how I should position all 5 fans like I just asked?

Unless you get a fan that can push more air through as your intake, not much else you can do because it's all about channeling air to the components that need it the most. That's the problem with modern cases with side panels that don't have fan mounts. You no longer have the ability to blow fresh air directly onto your GPU which is often the biggest source of heat. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Try 4 intake and one rear exhaust. Assuming you have empty PCI brackets with holes in them. That might push more air to the GPU.

Do you have bottom mounts?

30 minutes ago, Rxplants said:

Never mind forget it, cant get a good answer going to toms tech

Don't be a child. This post is less than an hour old.

2 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

Try 4 intake and one rear exhaust.

This is what I would do. You have your GPU dumping heat into your case already, you cant get it out fast enough without getting everything else warm. Might as well cool that GPU air off before it heats everything up and use the power of positive pressure and push it all out. You cant rely on the air from your rad to be effective at cooling your case when your GPU is active. On my R4 I have 4 in 3 out and its excellent, but not quiet. I do miss my Meshify C though.. I cant use it with this board unless I buy a dremel.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

19 hours ago, Rxplants said:

Case? Sounds like either the front doesn't have big enough opening or the fans are just weak.

Adding intake to top or isn't going to help with GPU as you won't have any way to direct airflow from above the card to its fans. Leaving top fans off might force more air from front to GPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv