What would you liked featured in my "Rooting and Custom ROMs" guide

_ASSASSIN_

I am currently working on a informative post on Rooting and Custom ROMs with @nsyedhasan and @TheSLSAMG editting. 

so far, the topics I  have are:

Rooting
AOSP

Custom Kernels

Custom ROMs

Xposed Framework

what else would you like added

thanks for the response

-_ASSASSIN_

ahh phones r dumb sthap

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

no u sthap

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

no prob bro

There's no one "best rom"

:)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I am currently working on a informative post on Rooting and Custom ROMs with @nsyedhasan and @TheSLSAMG editting. 

so far, the topics I  have are:

Rooting

AOSP

Custom Kernels

Custom ROMs

Xposed Framework

what else would you like added

thanks for the response

-_ASSASSIN_

Explaining people how to work with setting up ADB and Fastboot explaining to them WTF it means for them. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Explaining people how to work with setting up ADB and Fastboot explaining to them WTF it means for them. 

thank you, can't believe I forgot that ;)

thank you, can't believe I forgot that ;)

Also, for Ubuntu users this method works best. this will get both adb and fastboot running in no time. :D

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phablet-team/tools

On Ubuntu 12.04, you will also need to run:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-sdk-team/ppa

Then do the following:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-device-flash

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Also, for Ubuntu users this method works best. this will get both adb and fastboot running in no time. :D

want to be added to the google doc to help me? maybe also @T.Vengeance

? :)

want to be added to the google doc to help me? maybe also @T.Vengeance? :)

sure do you need my email?

sure do you need my email?

yiss, just send it over in a PM and I'll add you to the doc

want to be added to the google doc to help me? maybe also @T.Vengeance

? :)

I'm a noob :P. I just follow tuts online, and Nexus device = easy :P

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

As someone trying to takle rooting my new phone(but can't b/c of 4.4 on my Verizon HTC One), relate/make analogies of terminology and procedures to computers. Example: ROMs are like OS distros and unlocking the bootloader is like having access to the BIOS to change boot path(Least I'm pretty sure these are good analogies).

Also, a section on "What you can do now that you've rooted your device" or "What you should do afer rooting your device." Going through the capabilities and things to do to get full use out of you device, what apps to get, and other optimizations you can do that your phone is more "free".

At the top make sure to have a "Date last updated xx/xx/xx" and a list of known phone that have rooting  procedures with either links to external website with the how to or to posts/comments here on how; kind of like |jokers|'s HUGE IEM review of Head-Fi. His post would be great to look at for ideas. Of course the type of post is different, review verse guide, but he's managed his now huge post very well.

EDIT: Also, thanks for doing this. Trying to go around on XDA isn't the easiest and cross referencing tutorials was like researching for a paper. Having a simplistic one stop shop of info would be very helpful.

Edited by Ekmod

As someone trying to takle rooting my new phone(but can't b/c of 4.4 on my Verizon HTC One), relate/make analogies of terminology and procedures to computers. Example: ROMs are like OS distros and unlocking the bootloader is like having access to the BIOS to change boot path(Least I'm pretty sure these are good analogies).

Also, a section on "What you can do now that you've rooted your device" or "What you should do afer rooting your device." Going through the capabilities and things to do to get full use out of you device, what apps to get, and other optimizations you can do that your phone is more "free".

At the top make sure to have a "Date last updated xx/xx/xx" and a list of known phone that have rooting  procedures with either links to external website with the how to or to posts/comments here on how; kind of like |jokers|'s HUGE IEM review of Head-Fi. His post would be great to look at for ideas. Of course the type of post is different, review verse guide, but he's managed his now huge post very well.

EDIT: Also, thanks for doing this. Trying to go around on XDA isn't the easiest and cross referencing tutorials was like researching for a paper. Having a simplistic one stop shop of info would be very helpful.

thank you for the ideas, but one of them I know I can't do is the root procedures, that's extremely lengthy to write down every known one, considering there are multiple ways to hack the device to gain root access. For the HTC One alone there are 4 methods. I couldn't continue to update it every year with a new slew of phones with a new way of hacking it every month. I just couldn't. But I will do everything else. And you welcome, I see we have a lot of noobs here who want to root their phones and I wanted to make a guide so they understand what they are doing.

thank you for the ideas, but one of them I know I can't do is the root procedures, that's extremely lengthy to write down every known one, considering there are multiple ways to hack the device to gain root access. For the HTC One alone there are 4 methods. I couldn't continue to update it every year with a new slew of phones with a new way of hacking it every month. I just couldn't. But I will do everything else. And you welcome, I see we have a lot of noobs here who want to root their phones and I wanted to make a guide so they understand what they are doing.

Ideally, something like this should be done in a wiki format where others can update as things change. And even if you can't list the procedures, pretty please link to a few. When trying to root my phone, having a point in the right direction really helped.

Also what 4 methods are there for the HTC One? RumRunner, Firewater, ...?

EDIT: After reading through your comment again, it seems like you're writing less of a guide on how to root and more of an introduction to rooting.

Ideally, something like this should be done in a wiki format where others can update as things change. And even if you can't list the procedures, pretty please link to a few. When trying to root my phone, having a point in the right direction really helped.

Also what 4 methods are there for the HTC One? RumRunner, Firewater, ...?

EDIT: After reading through your comment again, it seems like you're writing less of a guide on how to root and more of an introduction to rooting.

it is more an introduction to rooting, yes, but the 4 are

Moonshine

RumRunner

Revone

HTCDev.

After going through the list, it seems my Verizon HTC One with 4.4 isn't able to get rooted due to an hboot update to 1.56. So me and all other Verizion HTC One user's with KitKat are SOL for a while.

History. Basicly how it all started and where it is today.

Installing drivers if you haven't included it yet as most people that I see usually have troubles installing drivers (especially with Windows 8). Good luck with the guide :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Installing drivers if you haven't included it yet as most people that I see usually have troubles installing drivers (especially with Windows 8)

windows 8 has tons of issues with adb, I'll make sure to include that ;)

also general update

we have now added

Odin

Knox

and a general FAQ for noobs 

windows 8 has tons of issues with adb, I'll make sure to include that ;)

also general update

we have now added

Odin

Knox

and a general FAQ for noobs 

Also eFuse is a good topic to explain on Samsung devices. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer