Wire type C to type A 2.0

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

You use the USB 2.0 D+ and D- pins for data as well as the GND and Vbus for power

USB Type-C™'s Configuration Channel | by Benson Leung | Medium

I have a wired mechanical keyboard... I want to make a type c port for it and make the wire removeable... I found a type c port online for cheap but theres like 24 pinouts... I found a guide online but have no idea how to interpret it... can someone please help... where do I connect to 4 wires from the 2.0 cable to the type C port... and it would really help if you could help me how to read the table below...

*do i just wire the 4 cables straight to the port? or do i have to wire some resistors (read some vague thingiesbthat you have to wire resistors for it to work)

1agHR.png

Edited by Loli Pits

1 minute ago, Loli Pits said:

can someone please help

Why don't you just simply buy a type-C -> type-A - adapter?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Why don't you just simply buy a type-C -> type-A - adapter?

i want to make the cable from the keyboard removeable... in order to do that i need to make a type c port for it... gonna wire the port to the keyboard... i want to make the cable removeable so that I can use custom cables for it like most keyboard enthusiasts do (sleeved cables/coiled cables/cables with aviators)... i don't have a big budget so im doing it myself... also its fun to diy...

Edited by Loli Pits

You use the USB 2.0 D+ and D- pins for data as well as the GND and Vbus for power

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

26 minutes ago, Enderman said:

thank you very much for this... btw vbus is the +5v on usb 2.0 right? there seems to be 2 of every pin... do i need to solder to both? or can i just solder to any 1 of them?

13 minutes ago, Loli Pits said:

thank you very much for this... btw vbus is the +5v on usb 2.0 right? there seems to be 2 of every pin... do i need to solder to both? or can i just solder to any 1 of them?

Yes Vbus is 5v.

You need to solder both because USB C is reversible so when you plug it in upside down you still want it to work.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes Vbus is 5v.

You need to solder both because USB C is reversible so when you plug it in upside down you still want it to work.

oh yeah... that actually makes sense lol... thanks ❤️❤️❤️

9 hours ago, Loli Pits said:

Yes, but USB C has a range of acceptable voltages so it's labeled VBUS. Depending on your application, you may need to place some configuration pull down resistors on pins CC1 and CC2, but if you get something like this you should be good https://www.adafruit.com/product/4090.

ASU

i am so sorry for bringing this post back up... i found out that my keyboard have 5 wires on it... i thought it would only just be 4... it is labeled... i believe vcc (what does this stand for?) is bus power? what does sg mean and where do i solder it to?

asd.png

On 10/15/2020 at 7:14 AM, Loli Pits said:

i am so sorry for bringing this post back up... i found out that my keyboard have 5 wires on it... i thought it would only just be 4... it is labeled... i believe vcc (what does this stand for?) is bus power? what does sg mean and where do i solder it to?

The SG pin is for USB OTG. I think you're supposed to ground it or throw a pull down resistor on it, but I'm not sure. VCC is the power pin of USB, often also called VUSB or VBUS. VCC is a common term for the main power rail for circuits, especially when the power rail is common to several devices. The term VCC itself comes from transistors, it's supposed to stand for Voltage Common Collector, or the voltage you connect to several collectors in a multi-transistor circuit.

ASU

No, in this case I don't think it's for usb on the go.

It's more likely SG means shielding ground or something like that. If this is the case, the exterior of the usb connector AND the mesh sleeve (or braid?) that surrounds the wires in the usb cable gets connected to that pin, usually through a resistor and/or some esd diode (to protect against static discharge aka esd)

Vcc is voltage, sometimes is called Vdd ... GND is ground, sometimes it's called Vss , D- and D+ are data wires for the usb. If you get them wrong the device won't work but won't break.

You can use a multimeter in continuity mode, test between ground and sg pin, most likely they're just connected together.

Example cable:  https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0887388100/2711806

The drawing tells you : https://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/887388100_sd.pdf

image.png.c8c11d5351184cde3e068aefb9e331b1.png