Installing PFsense on a USB stick?

h3ll0

I want to install pfsense on a old amd 3600+ computer but the hard drive is dead, so I want to install it on a USB stick (using the USB stick as a HDD), however the installer says if I want to install it to a USB stick I have to install manually.

So does anyone know how to install pfsense on a USB flash drive?

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Here is a nice video that should help you with this:

Here is a link to the software he uses:

http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Here is a nice video that should help you with this

No I know how to do that I created a bootable CD and inserted it into my machine and when I tried to install pfsense it said "No SCSI or IDE drives found. If you are tried to install on a different storage medium read the readme."

What I am trying to do it use the usb stick as the storage for pfsense to run off of like a hard drive not create a bootable usb drive.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Just use Win32 Image to 'burn' the ISO onto a Flash Drive. Make sure it's formatted as FAT 32.

Just use Win32 to 'burn' the image ISO onto a Flash Drive. Make sure it's formatted as FAT 32.

This.

I've also had a lot of problems with pfSense not installing of USB, this usually works - Unfortunately it might not, in which case use the CD. Though it seems strange that it looks for SCSI/IDE like you mentioned, OP. Never encountered that problem but would suggest trying other versions.

Make sure to get the right CPU type and bit structure - their download page/version history is a little confusing.