If you had $400 for headphones, what would you buy?

tryphaa

linus did a vid about them, so everybody wants them now

I've been here long enough that its like that every damn time Linus does a review. 

He reviews its, and suddenly Jesus was found wearing the HD8/IE80/MOE, or that he uses nothing but Asus and Corsair products in every computer he owns. 

Me thinks the people on the other end of the screen are really sheep with pants.

i bet that vid is the reason for this thread too, i dont like that people never recommended it, until linus did that vid

Wouldn't doubt it, never recommend them because they are a purpose built, expensive product. 

So who ever does have a budget for that kind of headphone (And there are few that even have half that kind of budget), is looking for a drastically different product.

But personally I would go for the P7 better in every way short of build quality.

In practice would just buy a second set of SRH1540's....

Always wanted to try the K712 since it came out so that, but I could be swayed by a Fidelio L2 as well :P

Current PC: AMD FX8320 || PNY GTX 770 || 2x4GB || ASUS M5A97 || Corsair TX 750 V2 || Asus Essence STX || CM Storm Enforcer
Peripherals: Logitech G500S || Cooler Master Quickfire TK || Audio-Technica AT2020 || Focusrite iTrack Solo || Q701 + DT990 Pro

I've been here long enough that its like that every damn time Linus does a review. 

He reviews its, and suddenly Jesus was found wearing the HD8/IE80/MOE, or that he uses nothing but Asus and Corsair products in every computer he owns. 

Me thinks the people on the other end of the screen are really sheep with pants.

Wouldn't doubt it, never recommend them because they are a purpose built, expensive product. 

So who ever does have a budget for that kind of headphone (And there are few that even have half that kind of budget), is looking for a drastically different product.

But personally I would go for the P7 better in every way short of build quality.

In practice would just buy a second set of SRH1540's....

True that. People need to get out of that sheep mentality or "Linus worship" mentality (although I enjoy his reviews). The experiences he have with the products will not necessarily be replicated to everyone else's.

Experienced that myself with the Sennheiser IE80. Tried it and I really can't understand how it can be considered as a good audio experience. It's simply just because everyone has a different need or taste. Go and try them out yourself before you even share them out as gospel.

Core i5 3470 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ | Kingston 8GB DDR3 (1600Mhz) | Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V LGA1155 | Asus Geforce GTX 670 2GB DirectCUII OC | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII | LITEON 24x DVD-RW | Cooler Master Silent Pro M600W | Xigmatek Midgard II Window | Logitech G100 Gaming Keyboard | LG 23" IPS234V | Edifier M1380 | Bravo Audio Ocean Tube Amp | Sennheiser HD600 | Sansa Clip+ | Yamaha EPH-100

*And some are sheep with neck beards

All hail the mighty neck bearded sheep, for his truth is ever present in the ways of sennheiser.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Probably either the MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro or Hifiman's HE-400... Or see if I could pick up an HE-500 used.

sennhieajdhfbgauhg Hd8 dj

i forgot how to spell sennhisahgairsyiahj

Just save some money and buy Siberian V2's. Great audio, good build quality and very affordable.

sennhieajdhfbgauhg Hd8 dj

i forgot how to spell sennhisahgairsyiahj

ah yes, the infamous sennhisahgairsyiahj

Just save some money and buy Siberian V2's. Great audio, good build quality and very affordable.

"great". Steelseries is... usually a babystep ahead of most other gaming headsets, but "great" is a little much. 

literally got Shure SRH440's with 840 pads for like 10% more here in Norway. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

sennheiser hd600, really been wanting to try them, i will probably hunt down a store to try them out before buying them though, because that's alot of money... im also abit worried about the comfort.

sennheiser hd600, really been wanting to try them, i will probably hunt down a store to try them out before buying them though, because that's alot of money... im also abit worried about the comfort.

God speed to you! 

Good luck finding them in store, and then good luck getting the store to let you use them. 

LPT, Amazon's return policy is basically the best thing since sex and sliced bread. 

(Comfort is fine they are a "large headphone")

It's hard to find shops that let you audition, at least where I'm from. Kinda sucks because I def want to hear a pair of cans if I'm going to drop $400+ on them.

I like my HE-500s so I'd say HE-400s.

Creative Build Name Here

i7 3930K | Rampage IV Extreme | NH-U14S | GTX 680 x2 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Coolermaster 1000W | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Western Digital Black 2TB x2 | 12GB RAM Disk | HE-500 Headphones

All in the Fractal Design Define XL R2

I would buy the sennheiser HD 650..  mainly because I've heard a lot of great stuff about the brand, also because I would prefer an around ear headphone for comfort.    

but.. oh wait its 500 USD..  :blink:   well hey... when you're getting this kind of thing you always have to splurge a bit. :) 

HD8 DJ gets my vote.... Although the HD 600s sound amazing too and I picked those up for around the same price used and in great condition.

i would probably get 2 pairs of $200 headphones to compliment my HD 558, I think something with a bit more punch on the low end so i would be more able to enjoy drums in all the music that i listen to. Would have to be open though because at the end of the day i still like to have a wide sound stage.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

probably HD600s, just because its still follows sennheiser classic approach to sound. I've tried He-90s and absolutely loved the detail that they produced. and while I know I will never be able to get anything near that close, I still prefer that type of sound. 

I would buy the he-500 used if not then the he-400.  At the moment I have the Audio Technica ATH-AD900x and

the despicable wish never had Senn HD-558.  I also had the ATH-AD700 which I gave to a friend.

I'd buy my BeyerDynamic DT 880 Premiums again and put the surplus funding into a Snowball or towards an O2 or maybe an A 200 p.

Beats by Dre just so I can smash them then I will go buy the 558s

U FOKEN WUT M8 ILL REK U M8 ILL BEAT UR ASS ACROSS THE PLANET ANS THEN SELL YOU TO THE MAFIA WHERE THEY WILL MAKE YOU THIER BITCH U FGT