Whaler's GPU Folder Build Log - Folding3

why would it not work then. Would it be better with 1 Xeon 2687 and the 2 7990.

to get any huge advantage with a lot of cores(16+), you need linux. AFAIK linux doesnt support GPU folding.

whaler should have more info on that than me though.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

to get any huge advantage with a lot of cores(16+), you need linux. AFAIK linux doesnt support GPU folding.

Ok then maybe one zeon 2687 per system would be better.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

why would it not work then. Would it be better with 1 Xeon 2687 and the 2 7990.

Mental pretty much summed it up. On a 16+ core system, apparently there is some work being doing using Wine I think it is to better support GPU folding, and the new Linux client also supports GPU folding, only on NVidia, but that is still a test as well.

So - you have to choose. Personally, to maximize GPU folding, I wouldn't waste anything on the CPU. Heck, run and i3 for all it matters and let the GPU's fold away. But, if you have a 16+ core system, don't bother with GPU, install Ubuntu and do some bigadv folding.

Also to point out - here is where AMD and Intel make a difference, and why AMD is king of SMP folding. That core count - needs to be real cores. Almost everyone sees a Intel cpu with 8 logical cores and thinks you have a monster CPU. You don't. You have 4 cores, and 4 hyper-threaded ones - which at most give you a 30% improvement.

So, on a 16 Core intel system, you could make yourself eligible for bigadv units, which require a 16 core minimum. BUT - your WU's will always fail. Bigadv WU's have an extremely limited time frame, a day or two at most... some even hours.. unlike ones in Windows that have weeks to return. You really need 16 physical cores to get the job done - not 8 and 8 HT ones... just something else to keep in mind...

And to answer your original question, yes. Save some money and only go with the one Xeon... or better yet, just get a Core i series CPU for GPU folding...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

AFAIK linux doesnt support GPU folding.

Actually, you can now.

Although It's Nvidia only (due to AMD not releasing proper drivers for linux to support openCL fully.)

Actually, you can now.

Although It's Nvidia only (due to AMD not releasing proper drivers for linux to support openCL fully.)

And it's still very beta :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet project, but curiosity gets the best of me... what in the world is in the bottom left of this picture?

KVM switch for switching between all his folding machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more news on the GPU front - I have a Zotac GTX 780 coming next week along with a XSPC Razor full water block and back plate. Wonder what I will be doing with that hmm? :)

And also, that means I will free up my two 6870's to add to my AMD rig and I also got a 7790. So... will be "trying" to get the following running in the rig:

1 x 7790

2 x 7770

2 x 6870

2 x 6850

Wonder how much heat that will put out? :)  Going to have to fandangle some stuff around. I think the GD65 mobo disables one of the x1 slots when another one is used (there are seven total PCIe slots)... so have to see how it all works out in the end and which ones I can cram in there...

For the sheer fun of it. I have a lot of spare gear and this is fun for me. Pure and simple. A hobby and that I can also help out a lot of other folks to get into this as well. I enjoy the competition aspect of this. 

Competition ehh, you're so far ahead that none of us can begin to compete ;) unless you are referring to the larger folding realm and not just LTT lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

What is that tower you are using for the server next to this rig?

post-765-0-94329800-1367463948_thumb.jpgthat antec one.

@Whaler_99

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

What is that tower you are using for the server next to this rig?

that antec one.

@Whaler_99

Antec 1200v3

http://store.antec.com/Product/benclosure/twelve-hundred/0-761345-45012-6.aspx

It's basically a taller 902

http://store.antec.com/Product/benclosure/NINE-HUNDRED-TWO-V3/0-761345-45006-5.aspx

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

how did he get the hot swap bays?

I'm sure they are just some aftermarket bays, the stock case will hold 9 drives though.

Take a look at my sig - that is my 40 TB Storage server. The hot swap bays are 4 different 5x3 bays I did reviews on for the unRaid forum.

Take a look at my sig - that is my 40 TB Storage server. The hot swap bays are 4 different 5x3 bays I did reviews on for the unRaid forum.

Jesus 40TB?

How much of that is in use?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Jesus 40TB?

How much of that is in use?

Umm, all of it? :D I have a distributed layout, so all disks are being used. Also taking advantage of unRaid power savings with extra drives. I think I have about 5 or 6 TB free at this point. Eventually going to have to start swapping in 4TB drives...

• 1 month later...

Whaler, I'm getting ready to build a second unraid tower myself and was trying to find if anyone had built a 20 drive tower that also ran boinc.  VMware, 1 core for unraid, 3 for boinc.  probably a liquid cooler for the cpu external to the case (possibly overkill but I haven't build a water cooled rig yet so it's also an excuse to experiment).  Have you gone down this road?

Whaler, I'm getting ready to build a second unraid tower myself and was trying to find if anyone had built a 20 drive tower that also ran boinc.  VMware, 1 core for unraid, 3 for boinc.  probably a liquid cooler for the cpu external to the case (possibly overkill but I haven't build a water cooled rig yet so it's also an excuse to experiment).  Have you gone down this road?

Nope - I have a low power AMD unit running all my unraid - dedicated to it. The main issue with VM, unraid and Boinc is if you try and stream you may get some jitter and what not. Remember, Boinc cannot limit to specific cores I believe, but you can limit the CPU usage between certain hours and such. That may be an ideal. The other issue some people have is just getting the controller cards to work properly in VM. In unraid, you need all those disks in pass through mode, that way unraid gets access to the actually disk, and not a virtual drive image. Then you would need one disk, or USB, for you host, another disk for your Boinc... it can be done though. Check on the unraid forum as I know a bunch of guys there are running VMWare and unraid.

• 6 months later...

Very ghetto, but I love it.  All your rigs are awesome. does it heat up your room much. I know some other folders with dual 7990's use them as heaters, but those cards would probably get a lot hotter.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I want to see all of his folding machines...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)