Current setup and where to go from here

l33tsauce7

Budget (including currency): 1000 USD (adjustable)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming and Hi-Fi audio

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Currently running a z97 uh5d mobo / gtx 1070ftw / intel i7 4790k / 16gb ddr3 ram at 1.3ghz / a power supply / asus pg 279q monitor and lesser 2nd monitor / cooler master cpu fan / samsung 1tb ssd 2.5" sata.

I would love to get my hands on the 3080 just like everyone else but i feel as though it wont be any time soon and my rigs performance right now is awful. I find myself turning my settings down rather low just to maintain MAYBE 60 frames. I am happy with my case and monitor and so on but need new guts for the tower. Im leaning towards AMD for the new chipset. What order should i upgrade and what should i look into for what i want? (144hz on high settings for most new titles) Should i wait for not only the 30 series gpu stock to replenish but also ddr5? is it worth getting any upgrades for the time being or should i just suck it up and be the guy that loads into warzone 10 seconds before warmup ends for god knows how long?image.png.40896f69b2d1234ebd0e0f1b9a59890d.png
 First time post and recent fan of linus. sorry for poor formatting. thanks for any help!

Your system is pretty good at running the latest titles at decent settings with good framerates at 1440p, and you could even overclock your cpu for better performance as well.

4 minutes ago, l33tsauce7 said:

be the guy that loads into warzone 10 seconds before warmup ends for god knows how long?

Getting new hardware isn't really going to improve your loading times that much.

Personally I'd suggest waiting for the RTX 3070 to come out and going for that since it's still going to be much better than your current 1070 and spend the rest of the money on a new system AMD or Intel. Perhaps wait to see what AMD has to offer with Zen3, and their new big navi gpus, but it's not a must. Quick reminder, the RTX 3070 is expected to be priced at around 500$ leaving you with 500$ to build the rest of your system.

8 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Your system is pretty good at running the latest titles at decent settings with good framerates at 1440p, and you could even overclock your cpu for better performance as well.

Getting new hardware isn't really going to improve your loading times that much.

Personally I'd suggest waiting for the RTX 3070 to come out and going for that since it's still going to be much better than your current 1070 and spend the rest of the money on a new system AMD or Intel. Perhaps wait to see what AMD has to offer with Zen3, and their new big navi gpus, but it's not a must. Quick reminder, the RTX 3070 is expected to be priced at around 500$ leaving you with 500$ to build the rest of your system.

oh very nice price point on the 3070. is there a time frame for zen3 yet? if im gonna wait for stuff i may as well just wait for zen 3 the 3070 and ddr5 lol

Just now, l33tsauce7 said:

. is there a time frame for zen3 yet?

Well, it's actually a week away, and RDNA2 is 3 weeks away.

df0960e0-3106-48fd-9041-920ae3efa4f0.jpg

Lol, play at 1080p and youll be fine. the 1070 was always a bit.... eh..... at 1440p.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Lol, play at 1080p and youll be fine. the 1070 was always a bit.... eh..... at 1440p.

i got the monitor with gsync in hopes of squeezing a little more life out of the setup. so far its done its job but man when i drop to 1080 i really notice the quality drop :( im spoiled

1 minute ago, l33tsauce7 said:

i got the monitor with gsync in hopes of squeezing a little more life out of the setup. so far its done its job but man when i drop to 1080 i really notice the quality drop :( im spoiled

1st world problems lol. wait for the 3070/RDNA2/ryzen 5000, and try to do about 1200-1400 for a whole new system.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

also you could transfer drives.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler