Looking to replace CPU and motherboard and looking for suggestions

Hello, I am a computer science student and I am looking to upgrade my current rig. I have an Intel i7-5820K 32 gb of ddr4 and a gtx 970. My motherboard has given me all sorts of issues and I am looking to replace it, however I was planning on upgrading my CPU in the future so I dont want to buy one with a socket to fit my current cpu. I dual boot Windows 10 pro and ubuntu and spend most of my time programming, but also like to game on occasion and do some light game development. Because I am a student, I don't exactly have a massive budget to upgrade and was wondering what everyone might suggest as a good cpu/motherboard combo to replace my current. Also, most of my problems are currently due to graphics card sag and motherboard flexing so strong pci express ports and board construction are a must on the new board. What suggestions does everyone have? (I also plan on swapping out my graphics card for a 3080 when I can get the money)

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What is the budget?

I'd like to spend at most $600 but if that is too low then I might just have to wait a bit. The lower the better, but I still want it to be an upgrade.

1 minute ago, tbell19 said:

I'd like to spend at most $600 but if that is too low then I might just have to wait a bit. The lower the better, but I still want it to be an upgrade.

Oh you're well within reason. Did you find the 5820k was lacking in some places or anything?

If you're buying now- I'd look at a 3700x and a B550 board. Maybe reuse the ram if it's <= 3000mhz. 

If you can wait, maybe see what AMD has in store for their upcoming generation. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, tbell19 said:

You could go with something like the B550-A pro and a 3700x/5700x. A 3600/5600 would work, as well. Either should work fairly well for your circumstances. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Oh you're well within reason. Did you find the 5820k was lacking in some places or anything?

If you're buying now- I'd look at a 3700x and a B550 board. Maybe reuse the ram if it's <= 3000mhz. 

If you can wait, maybe see what AMD has in store for their upcoming generation. 

The processor has been plenty fast, I just hate to spend all that money replacing and not get any extra performance out of it. Any idea when the new AMD CPUs are coming out, I can wait if there is going to be something really good.

Just now, tbell19 said:

The processor has been plenty fast, I just hate to spend all that money replacing and not get any extra performance out of it. Any idea when the new AMD CPUs are coming out, I can wait if there is going to be something really good.

We should hear something within the next two weeks or so- which means about another month until you should be able to get your hands on one

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P