So, real-world drawbacks for staying several versions behind on Win10?

Radium_Angel

Some of you may know I loathe Win10, and flatly refuse to use it.

But at the same time, the writing is on the wall for support of Windows "9" (8.1 Industry embedded professional, with a win7 skin on it. All the advantages of 7, 8.1 and 10, none of the drawbacks of 10 or 8.1) and sooner or later,I'm going to have to migrate. My experiments with moving to Ubuntu have been mixed so far.

Now, support for Windows 9 doesn't end until 2024, so I have some time, but all the same, it's worth investigating options.

Enter, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC. It's Windows 10, minus the BS. No live tiles, minimal telemetry, no candy crush crap, it's as near as a naked Win10 as you can find.

I've been testing it on a spare system, and so far, it's run everything I've thrown at it, without question or issues. Still need to silence the rest of the telemetry and whatnot, but easily done. Shutup10 is a good place to start. As is the GPO.

But I can possibly see some potential downsides, namely, it's several versions behind as it's meant for worksystems, rather than cutting edge. The current (and latest as far as I can find) version is 1809. It gets security updates, at least to that build number, but I am curious if there is anything missing from 1809 that exists in the latest general release (which is what? 2004?) that is not gaming related but rather security oriented.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

LTSC has a few software issue, and some newer programs won't run, but if your testing says its fine.

ALso ltsc isn't supported on newer hardware, so if you get a 11th gen intel system or zen 3 system there may be issues.

There are some new security fixes in newer feature builds, but this really depends on your threat model, for a home user ltsc is fine.

No RTX, etc.  

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

i also use win10 ltsc no problems in 5 month that i've had it

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

2 hours ago, ewitte said:

No RTX, etc.  

I don't really game, so not a downside for me

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

You can remove as much as you want from Windows, but what is the point to have modern operaing system that is limited by user? If someone recommend you to use UWP application like Netflix, you'll say "no, I can't install it, because I removed that functionality". Then Messenger, then YourPhone, then... And you want to save that few bytes and functionality for what? For feeling better that your system is so "clean"? Use DOS - it has basically no background processes, no telemetry and internet at all.

The point of using new operating system is to have more options, more functionality, discover new stuff, not having the same like before but with higher version number.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

The point of using new operating system is to have more options, more functionality, discover new stuff, not having the same like before but with higher version number.

Totally disagree.

The point of a new OS is better driver support and bug fixes/better compatibility with older software.

And OS, by itself, is just a platform to run your chosen software. I don't load Windows to have it come with an unremoveable browser (they got in trouble for that BTW back when they were trying to kill off Netscape), a built-in unzipping program (ditto), and especially not a bunch of half-assed "apps" from a "store" with questionable functionality.

The OS exists to support the programs *I* want to install and use, not what some programming company thinks I want.

I'd still be running Win7 if it was supported, but it's not, so I am forced to move up.

Win7 was pretty much the finest OS MS had created, and as such, had to be killed off for arbitrary reasons for people frog-marched to Win10.

What really grinds my gears about Win10 is it cannot be trusted. The staunch insistence on baking spyware into the system at every turn is a tact admission that Win10 was not better than Win7 (or even 8.1) but that it was done to turn the users into a further source of revenue. I flatly reject that, and the existence of Enterprise LTSC shows that MS *could* have made a semi-good to great OS to succeed Win7, but chose not to.

You don't understand me fully. I am not talking about keeping software you don't want to keep. But if you remove store, you'll not be able to install uwp software and that means if you want to install ANY software you want, you'll not be able to if software you choose will be uwp type. I think even NVidia after some time drop their whql drivers and the only way you'll be able to use nvidia control panel will be uwp application. The same about intel graphics drivers. Sure, you can fight with whole world and remove support for stupid uwp apps or other system elements, but that is only action you made against yourself.

And you should be happy with zip support or preinstalled browser. Without it (and without microsoft store) alternative browser download would be not that easy. The more tools is built in system, the more functionality is out of the box, the better system is. Unix terminal is very complex and good, but I don't think anyone wants to use it these days.

4 hours ago, homeap5 said:

if software you choose will be uwp type

Non-starter. LTSC doesn't have the store by default and IIRC cannot be installed, anyway.

And there is no software that I need that is UWP only. If MS goes UWP-only for the future, that's the day I dump Windows entirely. I already have *nix on a few boxes as it is.

Unix terminal is very complex and good, but I don't think anyone wants to use it these days.

You don't work in the professional world do you?

The more tools is built in system

The worse it is. The OS is there to support *my* needs, *my* choices, *my* desires, not some pinhead mid-level exec's idea of what he thinks I should be running. My decisions, not his. MS/Apple/Google are either currently embroile din anti-trust over stuff like this, or in the case of MS, have a long track record of running afoul of AT laws for this very reason.

Arch linux, at least does it right, base OS, you can opt to choose to install anything, or nothing extra at all. But they leave it up to the user, as it should be.

Sure, I also like to work with software of my choice. I mostly use 3rd party software and I don't even know when last time I used something built in system. But that doesn't mean I complain about few programs that I have and don't use. It's not first HDDs era where 20MB costs fortune and every byte was important. I just don't care that I have Edge or Explorer. I don't complain that I have Groove I don't use. I don't must feed them, I have lot of space and I don't need to fight with every small tool I don't want to use. I just don't use them and that is all.

this isn't as much a drawback rather than a compromise.

you *will* have less "security" in exchange of a much more *stable* OS.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

this isn't as much a drawback rather than a compromise.

you *will* have less "security" in exchange of a much more *stable* OS.

I can accept that. Security comes in layers. Stability is hard to layer.