Is it safe to clean AIO Water Cooling radiator with vacuum cleaner?

It's been almost a year i got my first PC and it's cooling performance have been degrading with time, and i think it's because i didn't clean my radiator thoroughly (I always use a paint brush to clean it and blow it with my mouth), and i'm way too much of a newbie in PC hardware maintenance to clean the radiator with water and i don't have those water-shooty-thingies. In other words, i'm too afraid to involve water into the equation. So is it fine if i use vacuum cleaner to clean my radiator? Although, i've heard that vacuum builds up static electricity and could potentially fry my PC.

lmao what, don't do that, buy compressed air

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qJB4Xv

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORE LIQUID 240R 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($394.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($869.99 @ Staples) 
Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Asus 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($229.64) 
Total: $2338.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-08 10:04 EST-0500

1 hour ago, Rully7160 said:

It's been almost a year i got my first PC and it's cooling performance have been degrading with time, and i think it's because i didn't clean my radiator thoroughly (I always use a paint brush to clean it and blow it with my mouth), and i'm way too much of a newbie in PC hardware maintenance to clean the radiator with water and i don't have those water-shooty-thingies. In other words, i'm too afraid to involve water into the equation. So is it fine if i use vacuum cleaner to clean my radiator? Although, i've heard that vacuum builds up static electricity and could potentially fry my PC.

On electrical components then a vacuum can indeed fry components, although I did it for years with no issues.  But on the radiator it should be safe as its a large piece of metal so should dissipate any static charge.

Be careful with fans though, you don't want the air of the vacuum to make them spin as it can fry their tiny PWM ICs.  I HAVE done that!

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Anything on sensitive components, using a vacuum is risky...such as

• On/around the Motherboard
  • The graphics card PCB / circuit board
  • RAM sticks
  • SSD / HDD PCB / circuit boards

Other then that, the chance of static electricity killing fans / cables / radiators, etc is slim...or next to impossible.

An AIO radiator (or any radiator) has no electronics in it -- literally metal tubes with liquid flowing inside it, and a bunch of metal fins.

If you are careful not to damage the tubes (e.g. puncture them), and/or damage the thing metal fins, you are basically safe to vacuum it.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

4 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Anything on sensitive components, using a vacuum is risky...such as

• On/around the Motherboard
  • The graphics card PCB / circuit board
  • RAM sticks
  • SSD / HDD PCB / circuit boards

Other then that, the chance of static electricity killing fans / cables / radiators, etc is slim...or next to impossible.

An AIO radiator (or any radiator) has no electronics in it -- literally metal tubes with liquid flowing inside it, and a bunch of metal fins.

If you are careful not to damage the tubes (e.g. puncture them), and/or damage the thing metal fins, you are basically safe to vacuum it.

But, do i need to discharge it first? Or the radiator won't carry any static electricity so that i can put it back to the Motherboard right after vacuuming it?

12 minutes ago, Rully7160 said:

But, do i need to discharge it first? Or the radiator won't carry any static electricity so that i can put it back to the Motherboard right after vacuuming it?

wait, im confused, why is rinsing the radiator under the tap not a option? you can literally submerge the radiators (take the fans off first obviously) and get rid of all the dust.

43 minutes ago, For Science! said:

wait, im confused, why is rinsing the radiator under the tap not a option? you can literally submerge the radiators (take the fans off first obviously) and get rid of all the dust.

I don't have those faucet-hose-thingies in my home. But if submerging it in water is completely fine, i'll consider it. But do i have to remove the tubes and get all the water out of the radiator? And also, how long does the radiator usually dries out?

25 minutes ago, Rully7160 said:

I don't have those faucet-hose-thingies in my home. But if submerging it in water is completely fine, i'll consider it. But do i have to remove the tubes and get all the water out of the radiator? And also, how long does the radiator usually dries out?

Why would you submerge an AIO in a bucket of water??? Do NOT open the cooling loop of an AIO as this will most likely VOID your warranty. Just remove the fans and dust them off with a brush, use a dry vac with the hose on the return line to use as a blower and blow the dust out in the opposite direction of the fan's flow. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

29 minutes ago, Rully7160 said:

No, just remove the fans, and dunk it in without remove anything else, the dust will float up to the surface. I think also you need to clarify whether this is an AIO, or a custom loop radiator, and whether you are trying to clean the inside or the outside or both.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

No, just remove the fans, and dunk it in without remove anything else, the dust will float up to the surface. I think also you need to clarify whether this is an AIO, or a custom loop radiator, and whether you are trying to clean the inside or the outside or both.

This is an AIO. For now, i'm planning to clean the outside first, if cleaning the outside doesn't resolve my heating problem, i may have to clean the inside too. I had this radiator since last year so i don't think cleaning the inside is necessary for now.  

32 minutes ago, Rully7160 said:

This is an AIO. For now, i'm planning to clean the outside first, if cleaning the outside doesn't resolve my heating problem, i may have to clean the inside too. I had this radiator since last year so i don't think cleaning the inside is necessary for now.  

You can clean the outside, the inside of the AIO should never be cleaned as it will void yoru warranty and so is not part of routine maintenance. If something requires internal maintenance you should contact the manufacturer for an RMA request,.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

You can clean the outside, the inside of the AIO should never be cleaned as it will void yoru warranty and so is not part of routine maintenance. If something requires internal maintenance you should contact the manufacturer for an RMA request,.

Ok, thanks for the answer. But how do i dry a radiator? Do i use a hair dryer or just leave it in a room for like 24 hours?

41 minutes ago, Rully7160 said:

Ok, thanks for the answer. But how do i dry a radiator? Do i use a hair dryer or just leave it in a room for like 24 hours?

shake off the water and then leave to dry for a couple of hours is fine. You don't want to heat it up since there is liquid still inside it. As long as it is not dripping wet it will be fine.

2 hours ago, Rully7160 said:

You CAN'T clean the INSIDE of an AIO ... it's a CLOSED LOOP ALL-IN-ONE cooler.

It's not meant to be taken apart, to have anything inside cleaned.

If you want to rinse it with water, you need to first .... obviously take it out of the PC.

Remove it from the CPU and motherboard -- NOTE, you'll need new thermal paste if you do this.

Take the fans off, so you are just left with the radiator + tubes + CPU block (that is all connected together anyways).

Then clean the radiator.

Shake the water off, put it on a towel to dry...use a hairdryer to speed the drying up (use low or no heat)....or just let it sit to air dry.

Clean off old thermal paste, and reapply new thermal paste (you cannot re-use it once you have taken the CPU cooler off).

Re-install AIO back into your system.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1.) Yes, this is how I clean all of my radiators (by using duct tape and 3 bendy straws to reduce down and create a hell of a suction)

2.) If you took your AIO apart, just buy a reservoir and new tubes and its a "custom loop" and refill it with antifreeze 50/50 premix (I use Preston with their Cor-guard corrosive inhibitor already in the bottle)

3.) Yes you can dunk radiators in icewater to get better temps so just dry it all out in whatever method you want that dries it out.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case