Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Excstasy

VRM/MOS FAN 12,000 RPM HELP

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

New PC build sounds like jet engine is spinning up for takeoff. The sound is constant, never getting louder or quieter no matter how long its been on or what I am doing on the PC. Whether it be idle or playing a resource heavy game. The CPU Temp. stayed between 33°C and 47°C, GPU was at 70°C-75°C. The noise is coming from where the processor sits on the MB and the AIO is connected. From what I tested the noise is not coming from any fan.

To isolate the noises location, I disconnected all case fans, disconnected the GPU, disconnected the AIO’s SATA power cable, disconnected both the CPU_PWR1 CPU_PWR2 from MB and the ATX_PWR1. First, I plugged in only the ATX_PWR1 to test the PWR Supply fan noise, it was quiet. Next, I left everything disconnected except for the ATX_PWR1 and plugged in the CPU_PWR1 CPU_PWR2 and the noise was immediately back coming from the processor AIO location.

Link is a video of the sound I am hearing,
https://youtu.be/j7Ec6PXJIfQ

Can you help me figure this out, if it’s a faulty product, or something else?

Intel Core i9-10900K

MSI Z490 MEG ACE

MSI - GeForce 980TI

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200

CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX

Corsair RMX Series RM850x 850 Watt

Corsair 500D

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD

Samsung 970 EVO+ 2TB SSD

Check you AIO connections where the pump connector is connected to the pump header on MB and fans are plugged into CPU FAN headers. Also check BIOS fan settings as this sounds like the BIOS set the pump to a constant 100% speed. 

CPU: Intel i7-9800X @ 4.4Ghz 1.18V All Cores  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144Hz 27" Monitor

24 minutes ago, Excstasy said:

Hi,

New PC build sounds like jet engine is spinning up for takeoff. The sound is constant, never getting louder or quieter no matter how long its been on or what I am doing on the PC. Whether it be idle or playing a resource heavy game. The CPU Temp. stayed between 33°C and 47°C, GPU was at 70°C-75°C. The noise is coming from where the processor sits on the MB and the AIO is connected. From what I tested the noise is not coming from any fan.

To isolate the noises location, I disconnected all case fans, disconnected the GPU, disconnected the AIO’s SATA power cable, disconnected both the CPU_PWR1 CPU_PWR2 from MB and the ATX_PWR1. First, I plugged in only the ATX_PWR1 to test the PWR Supply fan noise, it was quiet. Next, I left everything disconnected except for the ATX_PWR1 and plugged in the CPU_PWR1 CPU_PWR2 and the noise was immediately back coming from the processor AIO location.

Link is a video of the sound I am hearing,
https://youtu.be/j7Ec6PXJIfQ

Can you help me figure this out, if it’s a faulty product, or something else?

Intel Core i9-10900K

MSI Z490 MEG ACE

MSI - GeForce 980TI

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200

CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX

Corsair RMX Series RM850x 850 Watt

Corsair 500D

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD

Samsung 970 EVO+ 2TB SSD

My suggestion?

Some ear protectors like they wear on aircraft carrier.

26 minutes ago, Excstasy said:

<snip>

What happens if you flip the computer upside down/on the back?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3000 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 32 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Make sure your bios has been updated and cpu tjunction is set correctly.  When I built this 10980xe w/Asus Rampage VI extreme omega the tjunction max defaulted to something like 110c.  It should be set to 86c or lower, but I will say that my Cinebench scores at 5ghz/110c tmax were pretty insane.

Damn, from the video it looks/sounds like it's the pump! But I'm no expert on AIO. I use them but never had to troubleshoot one. Double check that you have all the AIO cables hooked up according to the instructions. Did you connect the pump USB cable? If so then install Corsair iCUE software and see what the pump speed is. Also, check your CPU temps with HWMonitor. You may have a defective AIO.

screenshot.1601604624.jpg.4265a8e12c37db7de097aec6484c54c7.jpg

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have discovered the cause of the problem, it is the VRM/MOS Fan. However, it is stuck running at 12,000 RPM and I can't change it. 

I updated the BIOS to its latest E7C7IMS.120 by flashing it. Even rolled back to the previous 2 versions before that to see it made a difference. None of the setting options increased or decreased the the fan in MOS, Smart Fan mode changed nothing, All Full Speed changed nothing, Default change changed nothing. Adjusting the graph manually no matter where I positioned the circles didn't change its speeds either. 

Going into Dragon Center didn't give me any options in adjusting the MOS Fan, it just showed it running at 12,000 RPM. The Temps stayed at a nice cool 30°C so that's good lol, but it is so loud at 12,000 RPM.

Attached are my BIOS settings. You can see the fan's rpm is running way above the curve I have set for it.

1.jpg

2.jpg