Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThatPizzaGuy

A question regarding 240hz heat and temps

Posted · Original PosterOP

hello, i have an 144hz 2k monitor atm and i get in games temps like 68-70c which is pretty average or expected, i was thinking of downgrading to 1k 240hz since i mostly play games like overwatch or mordhau that needs or benefits from more fps, if i get atm temps like 65-70c on demanding games on 2k 144hz, what would be the expected temps when downgrading to 1k 240hz or how does it work basically.

What is 2k and 1k?

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

2k isn't a specific term for a screen resolution, neither is 1k

but i'm assuming you mean 2560x1440p and 1920x1080p?

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

if the temps you mention are gpu temps, you wont' see any difference if you don't manually limit in-game fps, as the gpu will try to push as many frames as it can, regardless of what the monitor can show.

Just now, ThatPizzaGuy said:

FHD 1K and 2K 1440P

I would argue it would drop if the GPU isn't pinned at 100% after lowering res

Because the chances of it being CPU bound is much higher

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

if the temps you mention are gpu temps, you wont' see any difference if you don't manually limit in-game fps, as the gpu will try to push as many frames as it can, regardless of what the monitor can show.

i always limit it to 144 fps on my 2k monitor and get about 68-70c so i wonder what will be on 1080p 240hz capped

11 minutes ago, ThatPizzaGuy said:

i always limit it to 144 fps on my 2k monitor and get about 68-70c so i wonder what will be on 1080p 240hz capped

just slightly undervolt your gpu or set a more aggressive fan curve if you're not happy with the temperature. I don't think it's worth spending money to change resolutions

13 minutes ago, ThatPizzaGuy said:

First of all, what games?

Not many games will run above 200 fps due to CPU limitations

Spoiler

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

First of all, what games?

Not many games will run above 200 fps due to CPU limitations

Overwatch, TF2, Mordhau, story games like walking dead or life is strange etc...

Also i'd like to add my gpu is 2070 super and my cpu is i7 9700k and the ram is corsair vengeance ddr4 3000mhz, already getting the full 144hz on my games on 2k.

I have never had a card change times between those two res’s and hz. Not sure how it could as the load is the same in my case. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

13 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

I have never had a card change times between those two res’s and hz. Not sure how it could as the load is the same in my case. 

hello, by change times u mean change temps ? thank you for your comment

Should be the same. 😉

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@5.3, 5.3, 5.3, 5.2, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1,

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@4000, testing new timings

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's

4 hours ago, ThatPizzaGuy said:

hello, by change times u mean change temps ? thank you for your comment

Correct, there isnt a limitation so it sees the same load thus reaching the same temps.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Correct, there isnt a limitation so it sees the same load thus reaching the same temps.

and that would be the same on the cpu right ? since some games are cpu heavy.

1 hour ago, ThatPizzaGuy said:

and that would be the same on the cpu right ? since some games are cpu heavy.

No, cpu temp can change based on use/load. So I wouldnt say thats the same, but wont be effected by hz of a monitor.