Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanoray

PSU tripping breaker?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have my PC plugged into a power bar with speakers, monitor, and a lamp. A couple of times I have switched the power bar on at the wall and the house breaker has tripped - this is before I switch the PC on, and I have never had a trip with the PC running, even while stress testing or gaming.

 

How likely is it that the PSU is responsible? The system is fairly new and this has only happened since I put a new PSU in it. This has only happened twice so far so it's difficult to isolate the problem at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nanoray said:

I have my PC plugged into a power bar with speakers, monitor, and a lamp

Its the inrush current thats tripping the breaker. As you noticed it never happens when everything is already on.

Switching power supplies have a tendency to have a peak when they are switched on from cold. So its prob the combination of PC,

Speakers, monitor that does it.

 

You can do 2 things: Reduce the amount of appliances that you switch on cold. Or let an electrician install a different kind of breaker.

Not so much a higer rated one, but one designed to deal with inrush currents. (Ofc apply all the standards that apply to your area before doing so)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Dujith said:

Its the inrush current thats tripping the breaker. As you noticed it never happens when everything is already on.

Switching power supplies have a tendency to have a peak when they are switched on from cold. So its prob the combination of PC,

Speakers, monitor that does it.

 

You can do 2 things: Reduce the amount of appliances that you switch on cold. Or let an electrician install a different kind of breaker.

Not so much a higer rated one, but one designed to deal with inrush currents. (Ofc apply all the standards that apply to your area before doing so)

 

 

I have taken the lamp off the strip and put it on its own switch - I noticed that both times the trip happened the lamp had been left on the previous night. I know it's on the same ring, but at least it won't be a cold-start. The lamp is very old - sticker on the bottom say 1997 - so I will replace it with a USB LED one shortly.

 

I might get a supply with a lower inrush current as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nanoray said:

The lamp is very old - sticker on the bottom say 1997

God i feel old now :D I'm way older then that lamp.

Does the lamp have a normal bulb or a LED/Fluorescent?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Dujith said:

God i feel old now :D I'm way older then that lamp.

Does the lamp have a normal bulb or a LED/Fluorescent?

I came with a capsule-type halogen but I put an LED in it.

It may be that the new PSU has enough extra insrush current compared to the old one that it's just past what the breaker can cope with; reviews suggest a 7-8 Amp difference at our mains voltage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×