HELP! Laptop keep shutting down unexpectedly after cleaning and repasting!

My Asus S45lb is a 4-5 year-old Laptop. 

Spec

intel i3-4010U

Nvidia GT 740M 

6 GB ram (4gb ddr3 i sdram + 2gb ddr3 sdram SK Hynix

1TB WDC WD10SPZX-00Z10T0

500GB HGST HT545050A7E680

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i notice that my laptop is running too hot when both cpu and dedicated gpu on a high load and the gpu thermal throttled. Granted it might be the cost of not cleaning and dust built up over those 4 years of usage. 

So decided to clean my laptop. Before i clean it, i took some thermal and performance test. Using R20 , CPU-Z for cpu, Heaven Imagine for gpu and hwi64 for recording temp.

Previously i have upgraded my ram(integrated) from 4gb to 6gb by adding 2gb to the expansion ram slot and adding new hdd using caddy hdd to replace my dvd drive.

before doing the cleaning procedure I’m well aware how to do it and make sure i understand what I’m doing by researching on the internet. So i’ve come prepared (so i’ve thought). 

After opening up the back cover, taking of the necessary screw that hold the cooling assembly and fan and also keep in mind what screw goes where, i’ve come to the part when u need to take of cooling block from gpu and cpu dye. I pull slightly and it wont came of, So i take my time to pull carefully with abit of force and finally it came of! but in my mind, i was a bit worried to take that amount of force to sensitive hardware that could possibly damage the hardware.

The thermal paste was dry and the consistency hard like plastic. But after i carefully took bit of time using 99% alcohol (ipa) and cotton buds all of the old thermal paste slowly dissolving away. When i clean the cpu it was easy but when i do the gpu dye it was a different story. the old thermal paste is much harder also not only covering the dye but also couple of the small tiny surface mounted component on gpu. then I proceed to clean the fan and cpu/gpu block. 

and wiping away any dust from behind the mobo. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

old dried thermalpaste

After cleaning was done i used arctic mx-4 thermal compound to repasted my cpu and gpu with an adequate amount ( long line and a dot) and doing the crisscross pattern to screw that cooling assembly back on its place. Make sure everything was back in place then i closed the back cover.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Repasting using artic mx-4 

gpu on top, cpu on bottom

On the initial boot everything was a ok. Then i do the same test. First was 15 min idle temp and it passed that. Cpu-z 15 min it passed that. I took the laptop a chance to cool down to its idle temp before proceeding to gpu test but when heaven benchmark just started it suddenly shutdown. Then i cold boot the laptop and do the heaven benchmark. It does the same thing sudden shutdown. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

2nd time repasted

i opened back up my laptop and repasted the gpu and cpu. Then everything went okey again temp was good not even thermal throttling again! after it finish the test i even be able to overclock the gpu and didnt hit 80°c but for lifespan sake and thermal headroom i change that again to its normal clock.

But the next day i have the same problem again when cpu on full load and gpu was utilized it suddenly shutdown again! I were on memu android emulator which take half of cpu and gpu performace. Then i open up my laptop again and put it sideways and took a giant fan and to blow into the laptop. Everything is ok  even when i did the heaven and cpuz combo temp was fenomenal at only 67°c both cpu and gpu. 

But once i turn of the fan after 5 sec. It shutdown again!

Spoiler

spacer.png

Troubleshooting 

I took the precusion to disable my gpu using device manager and relay on igpu but after a couple hours of usage it sudden shutdown again! And noted that cpu and gpu temp was nominal. Never exceeded the t junction temp on hwi64. But it kept shutdown with no warning!  

My thoughts ? the problem its obviously caused by overheating then thermal shutdown but I don’t know that the components causes that :/

I need your help! what is the problem ? How can i fix it ?

1 hour ago, Biomecanoid said:

Something went wrong when repasting. Clean everything and start again

i've clean everthing and repaste as close as originaly possible, but it kept shuting down :/

12 minutes ago, TheQuicKz said:

i've clean everthing and repaste as close as originaly possible, but it kept shuting down :/

Maybe the heat sink is not on tight enough or the fan is not spinning or maybe you have thermal paste on components that should have any.    At what temps the laptop turns off ?

5 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Maybe the heat sink is not on tight enough or the fan is not spinning or maybe you have thermal paste on components that should have any.    At what temps the laptop turns off ?

Before repasting the fan spins within lowest settings at 2400rpm and highest at 4500rpm. But after repaste #1 the fan handle cpu fine at 60°C and ramped up like usual. when everything cooldown and i launch heaven benchmark at only 5 sec in its instant shutdown. So temp is probably near 50-60 ~ish.

1 minute ago, TheQuicKz said:

Before repasting the fan spins within lowest settings at 2400rpm and highest at 4500rpm. But after repaste #1 the fan handle cpu fine at 60°C and ramped up like usual. when everything cooldown and i launch heaven benchmark at only 5 sec in its instant shutdown. So temp is probably near 50-60 ~ish.

Usually computer shut down after 90 degrees 50-60 is hot but OK

23 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Usually computer shut down after 90 degrees 50-60 is hot but OK

Yeah but like i said in the OP 

8 hours ago, TheQuicKz said:

i opened back up my laptop and repasted the gpu and cpu. Then everything went okey again temp was good not even thermal throttling again! after it finish the test i even be able to overclock the gpu and didnt hit 80°c but for lifespan sake and thermal headroom i change that again to its normal clock.

Here’s the benchmark screenshot 

Spoiler

Before repasted 

spacer.png

XbQDVPM.png

Overclocked after repasted #2spacer.pnggkmTB5l.png

spacer.png

But the next day it begin shutting down again

19 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Something went wrong when repasting. Clean everything and start again

what did you think i did wrong?

1 hour ago, TheQuicKz said:

what did you think i did wrong?

Impossible to say, but hopefully you didn't knock a tiny capacitor off which can cause these sorts of issues.  But even too much clamp force can cause unexpected problems.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7