Map new HDD to D:\

danomicar

I'm getting a new HDD delivered tomorrow and would like to map it to my existing D:\ drive path. The current D drive is full and I am upgrading to a larger HDD. 

I have already created an image of the current D drive and have it saved externally. I would like to copy the image to the new drive and then re-assign the new drive to the D:\ directory. I'm doing this to preserve the existing files and programs which are saved on my D drive. 

What is the best way to go about doing this? I have an extra SATA port, so I don't believe that will be an issue. I just don't want to flip on the new drive and brick all of my existing files/programs/games. Am I better off redownloading everything? I have a metered connection with my ISP so I would rather not do this. 

I am using Windows 10 home.

Best way that I figure is to put both of the drives into your computer, copy all the files you want to the new drive, change and swap the partition's drive letter (give your new drive to the D and your old to E, for example) with Disk Management, format the old drive if you want to use some extra space, and it's done.

Just don't open and run any program/files from both drives yet while you're converting the drive letter. And, it won't break any software so far I know.

Or, you can use the image you made to copy those files, but I do think it's really the same with normal copy-paste from drive to drive, anyway.

Or it would be a lot easier if you just use the new drive for 'resuming' the old drive's job, and let the files on the old stay.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC