What does five beeps mean on start?

Go to solution Solved by thebrain36,
6 hours ago, Internet Person said:

Also, I've never heard about a mobo that takes PCIe lanes from the video card slot.

Yeah idk man. Straight from the manual “if m_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled”

image.jpg

It doesn’t show me what this means in the manual. But I try to turn it on and it beeps five times. Equally spaced beeps. Just upgraded the motherboard, ram, and CPU. (And added an m.2 ssd) Kept the Same (trashy) graphics card (I’m going to upgrade it eventually)  and 1TB hard drive (which is my boot drive with windows 10)  

5 more seconds left until self destruction.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

2 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

5 more seconds left until self destruction.

Bro... upon doing more research, I think it means it doesn’t recognize my graphics card? But I still don’t know. And I’m bouta be in a fat pickle if I can’t have this fixed by tonight. 

6 minutes ago, thebrain36 said:

Bro... upon doing more research, I think it means it doesn’t recognize my graphics card? But I still don’t know. And I’m bouta be in a fat pickle if I can’t have this fixed by tonight. 

image.thumb.png.6a22f170f42c59d7b1b932547953f1ba.png

can also be DoA CPU.

image.thumb.png.91b889057e083911c05f31c5a47e5125.png

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

1 minute ago, thebrain36 said:

FREAK. So what should I do? Take the cpu out and look at it?

yea, try pulling it out and put it in again, make sure its installed correctly, if it still bitches around i would RMA.

Do the same for GPU.. just pull it out and put it back in...

oooooooooor you might need a Bios Update for your new CPU.

3 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

yea, try pulling it out and put it in again, make sure its installed correctly, if it still bitches around i would RMA.

Do the same for GPU.. just pull it out and put it back in...

oooooooooor you might need a Bios Update for your new CPU.

Ok how do I do the bios update. I won’t be able to... without a whole other pc... right?

4 minutes ago, thebrain36 said:

Ok how do I do the bios update. I won’t be able to... without a whole other pc... right?

what cpu have you bought? If its Ryzen 3000, its possible that the bios version of the board isnt up to date so you would need another CPU that is already supported out of the box to flash the bios to make the board compatible.

4 minutes ago, thebrain36 said:

Also what does RMA mean?

send back to vendor, but if its about flashing bios maybe try to borrow a first or second gen ryzen from someone. 

or send back the board to the vendor and buy a board that actually supports bios flashback without a CPU installed .. 

Holy pissballs it’s working. I took out the m.2 drive so I think it was doing something with it it wasn’t supposed to be doing? Idk. 

Update: If I put the m.2 drive in the M_1 slot, it disables the PCIE4 slot... doesn't make sense to me, but idk how to design motherboards so here we are. 

1 hour ago, thebrain36 said:

Update: If I put the m.2 drive in the M_1 slot, it disables the PCIE4 slot... doesn't make sense to me, but idk how to design motherboards so here we are. 

AFAIK, B series motherboards don't have a chipset that shares the PCI-E workload with the CPU. M.2 uses PCI-E. So, it might be disabling one of those PCI-E for the GPU due to this. Usually, X series of motherboards or a high-end mobo from B series has this feature. B550 is a little bit advanced tho, I own a B550 motherboard, once I fill all the M.2 drive slots, SATA 5 and 6 ports become unfunctional. They are cutting the energy that SATA ports consume rather than touching any of the PCI-E slots.

On 9/29/2020 at 10:34 PM, Bandow said:

So, it might be disabling one of those PCI-E for the GPU due to this.

That's exactly what it was doing. I placed the M.2 drive in M_2 and now two of my SATA ports are disabled, which is better than the PCIE slot I suppose. So it's basically a SATA SSD but more expensive. I should've done a bit more research into my board beforehand. I'm planning on buying an SSD to add more storage for games soon. 

1 hour ago, thebrain36 said:

That's exactly what it was doing. I placed the M.2 drive in M_2 and now two of my SATA ports are disabled, which is better than the PCIE slot I suppose. So it's basically a SATA SSD but more expensive. I should've done a bit more research into my board beforehand. I'm planning on buying an SSD to add more storage for games soon. 

No, it's not "basically SATA", It's still a PCIe NVME M.2 SSD. You can tell by testing the speeds. M.2 slots and SATA ports share PCIe lanes on many motherboards since the number of lanes is limited. So you can use only one at a time and PCIe takes priority. Also, I've never heard about a mobo that takes PCIe lanes from the video card slot.

6 hours ago, Internet Person said:

Also, I've never heard about a mobo that takes PCIe lanes from the video card slot.

Yeah idk man. Straight from the manual “if m_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled”

image.jpg

21 minutes ago, thebrain36 said:

image.jpg

Ah, PCIe 4 is not the graphics card slot. It's one of the lower PCIe slots.

3 hours ago, Internet Person said:

is not the graphics card slot.

uhmmm... huh? I think i messed up...

9 hours ago, thebrain36 said:

I have my graphics card in the wrong damn slot

It's usually the first full-length slot from the top, closer to the CPU socket.