Help me with picking monitors (1440p 144hz)

eBright

I am currently looking to buy a monitor to replace my current 75hz monitor.

I want a 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor, since I will probably be upgrading to the RTX 30 series later. (3060/70)

I have been searching for monitors and I am not sure which to buy. Here are 2 monitors that I think would be good

MSI OPTIX G27CQ4 CURVED GAMING MONITOR [1440p, 165Hz]

- No G-Sync, only FreeSync

- 1440p 165hz

- VA Panel, 115% SRGB and 92% DCI-P3

- 2560 x 1440

- 3000:1 contrast ratio, 250 nits max

- around 370$

LG 27GL850 / 27GL850F-B

- G Sync compatible (adaptive sync)

- 1440p 144hz

- IPS Panel, 98% DCI-P3

- 2560x1440

- 1000:1 contrast ratio, 350 nits max

- around 470$

Which one should I buy? I am leaning towards the VA one since it is cheaper and has a better contrast ratio, but I've heard VA panels have a lot of ghosting. Is there any other good monitors at this price range?

17 minutes ago, MateoThePro9007 said:

You should get this monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7

I think that would be nice, but that monitor is kinda out of my price range

I want like a 300 - 550$ monitor if possible

1 minute ago, eBright said:

I think that would be nice, but that monitor is kinda out of my price range

I want like a 300 - 550$ monitor if possible

it is a 400$-500$ monitor

2 minutes ago, MateoThePro9007 said:

it is a 400$-500$ monitor

I think its like 700-800$, I just checked on Amazon and on my local online store

1 minute ago, eBright said:

I think its like 700-800$, I just checked on Amazon and on my local online store

no, you are right

If you don't use the USB hub of the monitor. There is LG 27GN850, which should be $30-40 cheaper than the 27GL850. Otherwise these two monitors are the same.

I prefer the LG over the MSI monitor.

You could also look up the dell s2721dgf monitor. It is a more professional design (in my opinion).

It is a 27 inch, 1440p, 165hz display utilising the same panel as the lg 27gl850.

44 minutes ago, tijsje69 said:

You could also look up the dell s2721dgf monitor. It is a more professional design (in my opinion).

It is a 27 inch, 1440p, 165hz display utilising the same panel as the lg 27gl850.

I ordered this yesterday, arriving today.

Dell also do a lot of discounts (student/dell advantage through work), so I got this for £330 delivered where as the LG 27gl850 was £430 delivered.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:44 PM, j1mgg said:

I ordered this yesterday, arriving today.

Dell also do a lot of discounts (student/dell advantage through work), so I got this for £330 delivered where as the LG 27gl850 was £430 delivered.

Any impressions / review? I'm currently choosing between LG 27GL850-B and S2721DGF, where the latter seems better designed, with more usb slots and software controls, just an update on the same panel from 2019 basically.

Another question is, if you have a laptop — is it possible to connect the laptop via DP to the monitor, and then directly use the USB ports on the monitor for mouse, keyboard, and external storage? There's a USB-B port in the monitor for that matter, but I'm wondering if the USB-c3—to—DP1.2+ can do that... asking for Macbook Pro 13" 2018.

On 10/6/2020 at 6:49 PM, pissedpig said:

Any impressions / review? I'm currently choosing between LG 27GL850-B and S2721DGF, where the latter seems better designed, with more usb slots and software controls, just an update on the same panel from 2019 basically.

Another question is, if you have a laptop — is it possible to connect the laptop via DP to the monitor, and then directly use the USB ports on the monitor for mouse, keyboard, and external storage? There's a USB-B port in the monitor for that matter, but I'm wondering if the USB-c3—to—DP1.2+ can do that... asking for Macbook Pro 13" 2018.

I like it as it is a bit toned down compared to the LG, the only thing I am finding is the darks while playing in the dark, but also this is kind of known, and I came from a tn which probably makes it even more noticeable.

I have seen or heard of the cable you are talking about, so sadly cannot say.