Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtmoseley

Need Laptop for School

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello!

I am a senior in highschool. My school is switching away from using paper due to covid-19, so I need a laptop.

My priorities:

I want it to be under 700, but honestly the cheaper the better.

I want it to have a ryzen 4000 series CPU, like the 4500u.

I want it to be small, so around 13-14 inches. Preferably nothing more than that.

Can anyone help me find laptops that fit this criteria?

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Amp! Edition Ram: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

14 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

Hello!

I am a senior in highschool. My school is switching away from using paper due to covid-19, so I need a laptop.

My priorities:

I want it to be small, so around 13-14 inches. Preferably nothing more than that.

For 708.00 US you can get a LenovoFlex 5 wich is 14inches and has a 4500u with 16gb ram. Right up there with you max max budget but if you really need a laptop this fits the bill. If I where you I would get a system with a 3500u as they seem to be much cheaper. Heres the link to the LenovoFlex5 https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Processor-Graphics-Included-81X20005US/dp/B086226DDB

this is going to be controversial, but I would recommend a Chromebook. Mainly because they can be much cheaper than conventional laptops, while doing much of what you need to for school (I'm assuming that you're in elementary/high school not university where the power needs can be greater.) while allowing you to save money for a much better computer.

There are cheap ones for under $300

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-14-0-chromebook-intel-celeron-n3350-4gb-memory-32gb-emmc-grey/6425046.p?skuId=6425046

And you can take your $400 and put that towards a much more powerful computer later down the line, which has benefits like: upgradability, easier to maintain, and more power for every dollar spent.

9 minutes ago, MateoThePro9007 said:

You should get a Dell Inspiron 15, 3000 series.

It is powerful but doesnt have a amd cpu

I am yet to find anyone who requests an AMD CPU and has a problem with an Intel equivalent it it's cheaper. However, this specific CPU is a Pentium, nowhere near as powerful as a 4500.

Another problem is that it has a 15 inch screen. OP requested something small, which that is definitely not.

Also - a bit of personal experience here - these cheap Inspirons are really badly put together. They're made of cheap plastic and not much else which means the casing cracks easily. Not good for carrying around.

Ultimately they are designed as a desktop replacement for someone who does fairly basic work and needs to occasionally move it somewhere else. I don't think it really fits OP's requirements.

Hi there! If you know about upgrading old machines with SSDs, I could really do with some help over in this thread. Any assistance would be appreciated - thanks! :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

12 minutes ago, william axton hylle said:

this is going to be controversial, but I would recommend a Chromebook. Mainly because they can be much cheaper than conventional laptops, while doing much of what you need to for school (I'm assuming that you're in elementary/high school not university where the power needs can be greater.) while allowing you to save money for a much better computer.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-14-0-chromebook-intel-celeron-n3350-4gb-memory-32gb-emmc-grey/6425046.p?skuId=6425046

And you can take your $400 and put that towards a much more powerful computer later down the line, which has benefits like: upgradability, easier to maintain, and more power for every dollar spent.

Yes, OP, this right here ^^^

Chromebook, or used Thinkpad if you cannot live with ChromeOS or dual booting Linux.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

3 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I am yet to find anyone who requests an AMD CPU and has a problem with an Intel equivalent it it's cheaper. However, this specific CPU is a Pentium, nowhere near as powerful as a 4500.

Another problem is that it has a 15 inch screen. OP requested something small, which that is definitely not.

Also - a bit of personal experience here - these cheap Inspirons are really badly put together. They're made of cheap plastic and not much else which means the casing cracks easily. Not good for carrying around.

Ultimately they are designed as a desktop replacement for someone who does fairly basic work and needs to occasionally move it somewhere else. I don't think it really fits OP's requirements.

I have that inspiron myself and it has a I7

Just now, MateoThePro9007 said:

I have that inspiron myself and it has a I7

Hadn't noticed that, though the more powerful configurations exceed OP's budget

Also this ignores the poor build quality and the fact that it's not what OP asked for.

Hi there! If you know about upgrading old machines with SSDs, I could really do with some help over in this thread. Any assistance would be appreciated - thanks! :)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Hadn't noticed that, though the more powerful configurations exceed OP's budget

Also this ignores the poor build quality and the fact that it's not what OP asked for.

i got my pc for at around 500$ at the computer store

48 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

Hello!

My priorities:

Get this mini laptop https://www.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-MiniBook.html

3 minutes ago, MateoThePro9007 said:

i got my pc for at around 500$ at the computer store

You're being very non-specific here.

I can't find a $500 config on Dell's website with an i7, and also you are still ignoring all the other problems.

1 minute ago, MateoThePro9007 said:

With all due respect, that looks like a scam.

(Also don't quote the whole original post, OP will get a notification anyway)

pythonmegapixel

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

You're being very non-specific here.

I can't find a $500 config on Dell's website with an i7, and also you are still ignoring all the other problems.

With all due respect, that looks like a scam.

(Also don't quote the whole original post, OP will get a notification anyway)

A scam? I ordered few laptops from them and they are working just fine

29 minutes ago, william axton hylle said:

Well, I have a few classes this year that are... underwhelming. Such as an independent study in AP environmental science, which is an hour and a half of just me studying. So, needless to say, I might want to play minecraft or rocket league or another light level game during that class or downtime in other classes, so a chromebook isn't the move for me.

I also feel like if I am spending 300 on a chromebook that cannot be used in the future (after highschool) for college stuff that needs windows, then I am just wasting 300 dollars. I also already have a beefy desktop (3900x, 16gb ram, 1080, liquid cooled).

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Amp! Edition Ram: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

42 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

For 708.00 US you can get a LenovoFlex 5 wich is 14inches and has a 4500u with 16gb ram. Right up there with you max max budget but if you really need a laptop this fits the bill. If I where you I would get a system with a 3500u as they seem to be much cheaper. Heres the link to the LenovoFlex5 https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Processor-Graphics-Included-81X20005US/dp/B086226DDB

I think this fits the bill. I also did some research myself and found this acer https://www.amazon.com/Acer-A515-44-R41B-Hexa-Core-Processor-Graphics/dp/B087N4ZRXV/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ryzen+4000+laptop&qid=1601398872&refinements=p_36%3A-70000&rnid=2421885011&sr=8-3 and also this lenovo https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-V14-ARE-82DQ000PUS-14-Notebook/dp/B088FTRQG7/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=ryzen+4000+laptop&qid=1601398872&refinements=p_36%3A-70000&rnid=2421885011&sr=8-6

Do you think those would be okay as well? The lenovo is basically the same as the one you recommended but not 2 in 1

21 minutes ago, MateoThePro9007 said:

A scam? I ordered few laptops from them and they are working just fine

hey i understand but the fact that its a not know brand in the space some people dont feel comfortable enough buying something they havent heard of before or that its know on the main stream space 

Anyways Regarding This 

1 hour ago, jtmoseley said:

Hello!

My priorities:

I Wouldnt Go For A Chromebook in any way shape or form multiple past experiences of trying its something i wouldnt ever recomend to someone else unless they are in a pretty tight budget around 300 or less and also you want something for also gaming and school i generally dont give suggestions for past experiences on other forums but im just staying away 

* thread moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

probook 455 G7. I'd under order on ram and storage and add that in. it has 1 2.5in and 1 m.2 along with 2 ram sticks

make sure to get the 1080p screen and the faster charger

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech