choosing monitor help please

JAKEBAB

So i want to buy 2 monitors for my computer and also will play some xbox on them too i want them to be the same and they have to be ips with 5ms and max $220 Aud ive found a few but dont know which one to choose it may look like im an lg fanboy im really not if someone can find one better than the ones ive looked at doesnt matter what brand that would be awesome heres the links to them:

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-23EA63V-P-led-monitor

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-23EA53V-P-led-monitor

http://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-IPS235P-BN-led-lcd-monitor

http://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-IPS237L-ips-monitor

http://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-IPS234V-led-lcd-monitor

http://www.aocmonitorap.com/root/anz/product_display.php?id=368#prettyPhoto

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1368&products_id=22089

http://www.megabuy.com.au/philips-238c4qhsn-23-widescreen-ah-ips-led-monitor-p361041.html

Are you gonna use it mainly for gaming? In that case why are you going for IPS instead of TN?

i have a 24" tn atm and im over it i want ips my tn is only 5ms and its fine playing games so why not get better viewing angles and better colour at the same speed as my tn?

First things first: Response time measurement is complete B.S value.

Every manufacture, even doesn't to a specific monitor, measure their monitor response time differently.

The measure method they call is "gray to gray" to G-t-G or gtg for short. Something you notice on the specs sheet (if not mentioned, it is).

This means that the manufacture uses 2 gray colors of their choosing, not limiting them self to the same gray color (see 1ms response time monitors), and see how fast it is for the monitor to change the pixel from 1 color to another. As there is no standard in measuring this, every manufacture measures the response time with the equipment and method they want.

The result is as follows (all pictures comes from TFTCentral, an in depth monitor review site):

ViewSonic 1ms TN response time
viewsonic_vx2739wm.jpg

BenQ 1ms TN 120Hz response time
benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

Dell 6ms IPS response time
dell_u2410.jpg

As you can see, the Dell U2410, despite being 6ms, is faster than the other mentioned models.

The best way to know the real refresh rate is to check in depth monitor review.

Are you gonna use it mainly for gaming? In that case why are you going for IPS instead of TN?

You can perfectly game on an IPS panel. IPS panels only affects you if you are a hardcore FPS player, with twitch fast reflexes.

You can perfectly game on an IPS panel. IPS panels only affects you if you are a hardcore FPS player, with twitch fast reflexes.

I totally agree, but I think many of us are just that. :) As you know I rock U2410's and love every bit of them, except for when I play BF3, this is where I really notice the difference between my old TN panel and my new U2410's. I don't play a lot of FPS anymore and do a lot of photography and video and that's why I went for the U2410's. I find it hard to believe that most people on this forum can justify spending that amount of money on a screen though.

Why not? It's the most important component of your computer.

It's the main hardware and also peripheral at the same time, that you use to communicate with the computer.

When you use your computer a lot, you want the best in terms of visuals, and you also want a resolution that fits you best so that you feel cram as you work.

First things first: Response time measurement is complete B.S value.

Every manufacture, even doesn't to a specific monitor, measure their monitor response time differently.

The measure method they call is "gray to gray" to G-t-G or gtg for short. Something you notice on the specs sheet (if not mentioned, it is).

This means that the manufacture uses 2 gray colors of their choosing, not limiting them self to the same gray color (see 1ms response time monitors), and see how fast it is for the monitor to change the pixel from 1 color to another. As there is no standard in measuring this, every manufacture measures the response time with the equipment and method they want.

The result is as follows (all pictures comes from TFTCentral, an in depth monitor review site):

ViewSonic 1ms TN response time

viewsonic_vx2739wm.jpg

BenQ 1ms TN 120Hz response time

benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

Dell 6ms IPS response time

dell_u2410.jpg

As you can see, the Dell U2410, despite being 6ms, is faster than the other mentioned models.

The best way to know the real refresh rate is to check in depth monitor review.

That's partially true, but response times still do matter. It's why there are no IPS/PLS monitors that offer anything above 60Hz refresh rates.

That's partially true, but response times still do matter. It's why there are no IPS/PLS monitors that offer anything above 60Hz refresh rates.

Correct. And for the fact that the U2410 was at the time 750$ (it's a end 2009 monitor). And that is why I say, "if you are a hardcore FPS player, you want to get a TN panel".

But my point is that IPS monitor came a very long way since a couple years back, and that they are fine for gaming, even FPS (as long as you are not hard core, and playing competitively). Today, IPS panels that are similarly fast, are drastically cheaper. It's just a question of time, maybe in the next 3-5 years we will see 120Hz IPS panels.

For fast action movie, and casual FPS gaming, IPS panel of today, is plenty fast.

Correct. And for the fact that the U2410 was at the time 750$ (it's a end 2009 monitor). And that is why I say, "if you are a hardcore FPS player, you want to get a TN panel".

But my point is that IPS monitor came a very long way since a couple years back, and that they are fine for gaming, even FPS (as long as you are not hard core, and playing competitively). Today, IPS panels that are similarly fast, are drastically cheaper. It's just a question of time, maybe in the next 3-5 years we will see 120Hz IPS panels.

For fast action movie, and casual FPS gaming, IPS panel of today, is plenty fast.

i play lots of cod :S but i really dont want to buy 2 tn panels :/

Oh :/

Sadly my knowledge on TN panel (what's good and what's not) is rather limited. So I don't have any suggestions of the most color accurate TN panel, with fast response time.

What I would do, as they are not many models, check out all 120Hz monitors, and see which one has the best colors out of the box. You may need to look into in depth monitor reviews to get bar graphs, like this one.

Where you want the bars to be the closets to 0.

default_srgb.jpg

The above is an excellent, especially for a consumer grade monitor.

Well it's a good monitor.. but you are paying a bit for the name.

The monitor panel color is unknown. I can't find if it's a 6-bit panel or a true 8-bit panel (it maters for this price)

Some issues with it:

-> Back light bleeding is very visible at max brightness, which is quiet poor compared to other consumer grade IPS panels that I have seen.

-> "Smart Insight" is crap. It works well, but ruins the visuals completely of the game. It's a just feature that adjust the contrast to make dark areas in a game look extra bright. This feature defeats the purpose of having an IPS panel, as you want to play the game with the best visuals, as the artists and art director of the game intended too. If the game is extra dark and you have a hard time seeing thing, it's on purpose. It's a sensation that the game artists or creator(s) wanted you to feel. You can disable this feature.

-> Not a very bright monitor, at only 250 cd/m². Might be an issue if you have in a open spaced with lots of windows around you. If not, then it's no concern.

-> Does not support 1:1 pixel mapping (if that concerns you)

-> Response time is fast. It's part of the fast IPS panels range, however it does overshoot, which can be a problem if you have a light background and dark object moving across.

-> The monitor LED back light uses a PWM (which is fine), but only goes at 200Hz on normal brightness settings. This can be bothersome for some people. Peopel with sensitive eyes will see flickering.

Good stuff:

-> Nice colors out of the box. sRGB profile is good.

-> Input lad is as advertised. rated at 0.8ms at best. This is the least inputs lag I have seen, including for TN panel.

-> Solid build quality. Although the stand ruggedness isn't great for the price, but not terrible either.

-> Lots of inputs

-> Lots of features

-> Delivers on what they say.

I guess it's a good compromise. But I don't know.

If you get it, you sure be the first that I know to get it. And if you decide to do, please please please give us your feedback, and do, if you have time, a small review with pictures. Your information will allow me to help others who might be interesting with this monitor, or is in similar situation as you.

Just make sure you can return the monitor easily, in the case you are not happy.

Well it's a good monitor.. but you are paying a bit for the name.

The monitor panel color is unknown. I can't find if it's a 6-bit panel or a true 8-bit panel (it maters for this price)

Some issues with it:

-> Back light bleeding is very visible at max brightness, which is quiet poor compared to other consumer grade IPS panels that I have seen.

-> "Smart Insight" is crap. It works well, but ruins the visuals completely of the game. It's a just feature that adjust the contrast to make dark areas in a game look extra bright. This feature defeats the purpose of having an IPS panel, as you want to play the game with the best visuals, as the artists and art director of the game intended too. If the game is extra dark and you have a hard time seeing thing, it's on purpose. It's a sensation that the game artists or creator(s) wanted you to feel. You can disable this feature.

-> Not a very bright monitor, at only 250 cd/m². Might be an issue if you have in a open spaced with lots of windows around you. If not, then it's no concern.

-> Does not support 1:1 pixel mapping (if that concerns you)

-> Response time is fast. It's part of the fast IPS panels range, however it does overshoot, which can be a problem if you have a light background and dark object moving across.

-> The monitor LED back light uses a PWM (which is fine), but only goes at 200Hz on normal brightness settings. This can be bothersome for some people. Peopel with sensitive eyes will see flickering.

Good stuff:

-> Nice colors out of the box. sRGB profile is good.

-> Input lad is as advertised. rated at 0.8ms at best. This is the least inputs lag I have seen, including for TN panel.

-> Solid build quality. Although the stand ruggedness isn't great for the price, but not terrible either.

-> Lots of inputs

-> Lots of features

-> Delivers on what they say.

I guess it's a good compromise. But I don't know.

If you get it, you sure be the first that I know to get it. And if you decide to do, please please please give us your feedback, and do, if you have time, a small review with pictures. Your information will allow me to help others who might be interesting with this monitor, or is in similar situation as you.

Just make sure you can return the monitor easily, in the case you are not happy.

ok lol i didnt really understand what u said i know next to nothing about monitors except ips is better than tn coz the colours are more accurate and it has deeper blacks and better viewing angles and i know what backlit bleed is and thats all lol with all the stuff u have said u have kind of turned me off it because theres more bad then good i dont really know what to do lol

If you are gonna buy a ips you should get at least a 1440p..

Mayby create a poll - I would take the Dell.

i have pretty much given up and decided to wait until what i want is actually possible probs best of waiting for 4k and ill have more money to spend on it and 4k doesnt look to far away with saiki tv or watever.

Mayby think about oled then too .. it's ips like color quality .. high refresh rates .. no backlighting.

Mayby think about oled then too .. it's ips like color quality .. high refresh rates .. no backlighting.

When a OLED monitor will come out for desktop computers, I'll definitively tell you :)

So far, it's a no. And too pricey.

It is a yes sony showed too, a 24" and 17" 17000$ :D

I know it.

But it's not really a computer monitor. It's for movie production/filming, where the cameras are connected to it.