Red Cpu Led on X570 Mainboard

Hey guys,

im really struggling rn. I ran my computer for 6 months now and suddenly it now started having issues. 
Whenever I try to boot up the computer, all components that have leds are apparently working, fans are running on speed when pressing the power button. Now the problem is, that the computer isn‘t actually booting up anymore out of the sudden. The red led for the Cpu on my motherboard is on when turning on the computer. 
I‘ve tried a lot, but still haven‘t found a solution... I checked all the cables, checked the ram and also swapped all the ram spots and even tried the rams on different positions. I even reinstalled the gpu just in case. I removed my cpu cooler and checked the cpu itself and didn‘t notice anything suspicious... I even installed the boxed cooler and replaced my tower cooler because I thought it maybe could be the problem. So I basically tried a lot and still couldn‘t find the issue. The red gpu led on the mainboard is still on...

Maybe you guys have an idea... just ask if you have any further questions.

My components:

Msi Mpg x570 Gaming Plus

Ryzen 3900x

Msi Gaming x Trio Rtx 2080S

4 minutes ago, NiklasH said:

Hey guys,

im really struggling rn. I ran my computer for 6 months now and suddenly it now started having issues. 
Whenever I try to boot up the computer, all components that have leds are apparently working, fans are running on speed when pressing the power button. Now the problem is, that the computer isn‘t actually booting up anymore out of the sudden. The red led for the Cpu on my motherboard is on when turning on the computer. 
I‘ve tried a lot, but still haven‘t found a solution... I checked all the cables, checked the ram and also swapped all the ram spots and even tried the rams on different positions. I even reinstalled the gpu just in case. I removed my cpu cooler and checked the cpu itself and didn‘t notice anything suspicious... I even installed the boxed cooler and replaced my tower cooler because I thought it maybe could be the problem. So I basically tried a lot and still couldn‘t find the issue. The red gpu led on the mainboard is still on...

Maybe you guys have an idea... just ask if you have any further questions.

My components:

Msi Mpg x570 Gaming Plus

Ryzen 3900x

Msi Gaming x Trio Rtx 2080S

that is one of the worst x570 boards. mayby the board got burned? what psu do you have? try to remount the cpu not the cooler. since it is red it mean that something to do with the cpu. try other cpu. you can get ryzen 2200g's very cheap used. 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

17 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Did you try a known good PSU?

Funny... it‘s a 700W BeQuiet Psu, it also worked till a few days ago, thats why Im confused.

13 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

that is one of the worst x570 boards. mayby the board got burned? what psu do you have? try to remount the cpu not the cooler. since it is red it mean that something to do with the cpu. try other cpu. you can get ryzen 2200g's very cheap used. 

I already remounted the Cpu and have a BeQuiet 700W PSU FYI. 

Yeah that doesn't mean anything to me. That's how computer parts break, one day they work and the next they don't.

First thing I would try is PSU, then RAM, then if possible CPU. If all that fails, could be the mobo.

22 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

that is one of the worst x570 boards.

Oh yeah? MSI still making garbage? I haven't purchased any MSI branded product since the early 00s... I can't tell you how many MSI boards came by the shop DOA or with swollen / bad caps. I thought they got their act together recently but still won't risk my money on them.

make sure the 8pin EPS (cpu power) cable is properly inserted.

Check the pins on the bottom of the cpu maybe you have one bent or broken

Reseat the cpu.

Try with just one memory stick, just in case one channel is screwed

40 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Check the pins on the bottom of the cpu maybe you have one bent or broken

Im curious as to how a bent pin just happens if CPU was inserted into socket months ago and HSF applied?? I mean I guess it could have been damaged during the install, but that seems unlikely.

Some linear and logical troubleshooting steps need to be applied. Divide and conquer. Usually easier to do this with known good hardware, but if you don't have the luxury of having known good gear, some of the steps to follow if you want to get to the bottom of this is the following:

1) Remove everything from the system that isn't required to output to display. In OPs case, that means Mobo, CPU, a single stick of RAM and PSU. I would even take the board out of the case and use the mobo box or something similar to mount the board. Then jump the board using the trusty flat head (or philips head, I ain't picky). 

2) Observe any LED diagnostics codes (do not focus just on a single red light) most boards have a read out, or they have a beep code. You might need to plug in a pc speaker from your case if it has it. Though I don't think beep codes are that prevalent anymore.

3) Remove all ram and video card, power system on. Does the LED readouts/beep codes change? If yes, add one of the parts you removed (your choice) and see if the diagnostic codes change. If they do, so far so good. Swap parts, for example if you tried adding the video card first, remove it and then plug in a single stick of RAM. Power on system and observe. Does the diagnostic codes change? Basically you are testing the motherboard's ability to accurately detect issues that you are artificially introducing. If the diagnostics code do not change during any of these steps, chances are you have a bad motherboard (still could be PSU though).

4) If all the testing above resulted in different diagnostic codes then move on the removing the CPU and try to power on the system. Do you get the same RED CPU error code that you started with? If so, good chance that's it (though still could be motherboard / PSU).

5) In the end, if you dont have the "known good hardware" to do the tests, you are going to be taking some leaps of faith. Honestly though, if you can swing it, try picking up a new PSU or borrow one from a friend perhaps. You would be surprised how often those go, even top shelf PSUs. And just because they supply electricity and LEDs are lit up, DOES NOT MEAN YOUR PSU IS WORKING.

Not trying to start a flame war here on how good or bad a piece of hardware is, just because I mentioned I won't touch MSI doesn't automatically mean it is the motherboard. The only true way to get to the bottom of this is through the help of known good hardware and the divide and conquer technique.