My GPU exploded and I need advice

Caverabbit

My GPU (Asus rog strix RTX 2070) exploded and caught on fire just now. The timing is extremely unfortunate as well, I didn't really feel the need to replace my GPU and I had hoped to skip this generation so I am a bit upset.

While I'd like to know exactly why it happened, I think my bigger problem is with replacing it. It makes no sense to buy a 2000 series card to replace it seeing as the 3000 series, the 3070 in particular, is probably the same price if not cheaper. But it's not out yet and considering the recent shenanigans, I'm probably not gonna get a hold of one even when it's released. What should I do? While it'll hurt me a bit, I don't mind getting the 3080 but is it still out of stock? The 2nd hand market where I live doesn't seem much cheaper than just going out there and buying a new one.

If anyone could figure out what happened that would be very helpful as well, here's a recap of the events.

I was playing Halo ODST when my PC suddenly hard shut down. I checked my power cord to see if it became loose but everything was fine, the little light on the network cable port proved that it was still powered properly. I tried to turn the power back on but it refused to boot so I unplugged everything and tried again, no boot. Then I noticed that during boot, the GPU RGB flashed for a brief instant so I tried pulling it out and tried to power it on, the computer booted. I turn it back off and plugged the GPU back in and when I powered on, something inside the GPU exploded and fire started bursting out. I panicked and hit the switch on the PSU and pulled the GPU out and inspected it to see what had caused the fire. I tried to take it apart to get a better look but then realized I didn't know how exactly the heat spreader is mounted on the card and so gave up, I do want to see if I can send it in for repairs so I don't really want to risk voiding anything.

I took a picture of where the fire seemed to have come from and you can sort of see where some blown/burned resistors and whatnot are.

DSC_0013.JPG

Full system specs please psu in detail.

Try claiming warranty as this is catastrophic failure and most companies would love to have these cards returned to avoid having a thing like the galaxy note 7 have happen.

Would try a warranty RMA, and if that doesn't work either get a cheap used 2070 or wait a little longer for a 3070/3080... you're gonna need some old GPU to at least get a display output in the meantime in both cases, unless you have an iGPU..

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

RMA time.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Just now, jaslion said:

Full system specs please psu in detail.

Try claiming warranty as this is catastrophic failure and most companies would love to have these cards returned to avoid having a thing like the galaxy note 7 have happen.

I don't fully remember the full spec, I'll give you what I know.

It's a

Intel i7-8700

Asus z390 prime-a

32GB corsair ram 8*4 (I don't remember the model sorry)

2*256GB SSD

The PSU is a Gold Rated EVGA supernova 650+.

3 minutes ago, Caverabbit said:

I don't fully remember the full spec, I'll give you what I know.

It's a

Intel i7-8700

Asus z390 prime-a

32GB corsair ram 8*4 (I don't remember the model sorry)

2*256GB SSD

The PSU is a Gold Rated EVGA supernova 650+.

Does the system start without a gpu? You have a igpu so that should allow you to plug the monitor into the board.

13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Would try a warranty RMA, and if that doesn't work either get a cheap used 2070 or wait a little longer for a 3070/3080... you're gonna need some old GPU to at least get a display output in the meantime in both cases, unless you have an iGPU..

My cpu does have integrated graphics but I'd like to play games and work does require me to have a somewhat decent GPU. I'm leaning towards getting a cheap GPU like a 1660 or 2060, it would be a nice back up in the future but I'm stuck on what I should get if I do decide to do it. 

I might also have to dual boot a hackintosh for work in the future so having a 2nd GPU is not something terrible to have.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Does the system start without a gpu? You have a igpu so that should allow you to plug the monitor into the board.

Yes, it starts now that I pulled the GPU out. Aside from the laggy integrated graphics, it functions properly.

5 minutes ago, Caverabbit said:

My cpu does have integrated graphics but I'd like to play games and work does require me to have a somewhat decent GPU. I'm leaning towards getting a cheap GPU like a 1660 or 2060, it would be a nice back up in the future but I'm stuck on what I should get if I do decide to do it. 

I might also have to dual boot a hackintosh for work in the future so having a 2nd GPU is not something terrible to have.

Get a used rx580/480 or 570/470 cheap and decent cards. Also nvidia cards for hackintosh are not done as there is no driver support.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Get a used rx580/480 or 570/470 cheap and decent cards. Also nvidia cards for hackintosh are not done as there is no driver support.

That is actually a pretty good suggestion and I completely overlooked the driver support issue, thanks. But just a quick question, LTT did a hackintosh setup guide a while back and they used a nVidia card for it, the reason I would use the mac os is actually for iOS app development. I know that during normal emulation, xCode would crash because it doesn't communicate with the GPU correctly, would that also be the case for the way LTT did it in their setup?

2 minutes ago, Caverabbit said:

That is actually a pretty good suggestion and I completely overlooked the driver support issue, thanks. But just a quick question, LTT did a hackintosh setup guide a while back and they used a nVidia card for it, the reason I would use the mac os is actually for iOS app development. I know that during normal emulation, xCode would crash because it doesn't communicate with the GPU correctly, would that also be the case for the way LTT did it in their setup?

The vm machine? I don't know of any video where they used a nvidia card. A osx vm is honestly by far the easiest way to go about working with osx on a non mac.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The vm machine? I don't know of any video where they used a nvidia card. A osx vm is honestly by far the easiest way to go about working with osx on a non mac.

Yeah, I realize that. However it doesn't work for my use case, the way a normal easy to use VM reports the GPU to osx makes it seem that it is using integrated graphics. xCode still works, but if you ever try to use the scene manager or whatever they call it tab where you can visually fiddle with the layout, it will crash. The cause being the GPU not being detected or something. And since the whole point I am even VMing a mac machine is so I can dev using xCode, it defeats the purpose.

This is the I video I think I was referencing: 

This would seem like it would work for me since it seems to actually pass a GPU through.

5 minutes ago, Caverabbit said:

Yeah, I realize that. However it doesn't work for my use case, the way the VM reports the GPU to osx makes it seem that it is using integrated graphics. xCode still works, but if you ever try to use the scene manager or whatever they call it tab where you can visually fiddle with the layout, it will crash. The cause being the GPU not being detected or something. And since the whole point I am even VMing a mac machine is so I can dev using xCode, it defeats the purpose.

This is the I video I think I was referencing: 

This would seem like it would work for me since it seems to actually pass a GPU through.

Oh yeah they used the nvidia web driver but euhm yeah it's not great and very very hit or miss. Do not recommend it. I advise to just get a amd card and have official drivers that can be applied compared to hacky community ones.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Oh yeah they used the nvidia web driver but euhm yeah it's not great and very very hit or miss. Do not recommend it. I advise to just get a amd card and have official drivers that can be applied compared to hacky community ones.

Gotcha, it's actually a bit hard for me to get a 2nd hand card here for various reasons. Do you have any good suggestions for me to use in-between and maybe as a future hackintosh card if I had to get it brand new in the case I can't get my card repaired?

1 minute ago, Caverabbit said:

Gotcha, it's actually a bit hard for me to get a 2nd hand card here for various reasons. Do you have any good suggestions for me to use in-between and maybe as a future hackintosh card if I had to get it brand new in the case I can't get my card repaired?

No ebay?

Just now, jaslion said:

No ebay?

No it's not that, I'm in Japan and a lot of the 2nd hand cards are practically the same price as new. Also there's the language barrier, I'm not incapable of speaking Japanese but I'd like to avoid complicated conversations if possible.

For example, here's two identical cards. But since it's from Aussie, along with the shipping fee it's pretty much the same price as a new one that I can buy and have in my hands without waiting for shipping.Example.thumb.png.a810e9807c0ba965564223f51a2d1033.png