What's the best way to optimize RDR2 for a rig that has a 4C8T and a RX 5700XT?

Ricardo Harrow

So, seeing as how RDR2 is a very demanding game, I was wondering what would be the best way to optimize the game in terms of settings when one is running a 4C8T processor and a RX 5700XT?

Use the settings from these 2 videos:

This way you can boost your FPS without sacraficing much quality.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

RDR2 is actually better-optimized for single-core performance, the 3300x beats the 3600 in that game.

I'd try to find optimized settings but tbh with a 5700xt there isn't much reason to worry. What resolution?

Which 4C/8T CPU?

From personal experience my 5700XT can run RDR2 at 1440p with the preset slider three quarters to Quality and maintain 60FPS however I have a 3800X.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Which 4C/8T CPU?

From personal experience my 5700XT can run RDR2 at 1440p with the preset slider three quarters to Quality and maintain 60FPS however I have a 3800X.

The i7-7700k specifically.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

RDR2 is actually better-optimized for single-core performance, the 3300x beats the 3600 in that game.

I'd try to find optimized settings but tbh with a 5700xt there isn't much reason to worry. What resolution?

Just plain ol' 1080p. 

Also, holy blazes! That is weird. I assumed the game was more CPU heavy due to it being open world. Is it weird the fact that an open-world game has better performance on a 4C8T than a 6C12T? 

2 minutes ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

Just plain ol' 1080p. 

Also, holy blazes! That is weird. I assumed the game was more CPU heavy due to it being open world. Is it weird the fact that an open-world game has better performance on a 4C8T than a 6C12T? 

That's because it was created for consoles in mind and thus not optimized to use many threads.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

That's because it was created for consoles in mind and thus not optimized to use many threads.

Right, thank you for the brief explanation and for the videos that you linked in the thread!

16 minutes ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

Just plain ol' 1080p. 

Yeah you could literally turn everything up to max and not even get near 100% usage. My friend runs it at 120hz 1440p ultrawide with a 3600, OC 5700xt, and something like medium-high settings.

It's an engine thing. Games, for the longest time, have been more dependent on single-thread performance, which is why great improvements could be made with clock speed. You might rememeber the 2014 Pentium G3258 overclocked to 4.8 GHz was rivaling or outperforming everything in most games, even an 8-core 5960x

Well, some games still sort of behave that way, with a faster 4-core beating out a slower 10-core. The 3300x has markedly better single-thread performance than the 3600, and its single-CCX layout (as opposed to two on the 3600) make its multi-core performance not far form the 3600, despite less cores/threads.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Yeah you could literally turn everything up to max and not even get near 100% usage. My friend runs it at 120hz 1440p ultrawide with a 3600, OC 5700xt, and something like medium-high settings.

It's an engine thing. Games, for the longest time, have been more dependent on single-thread performance, which is why great improvements could be made with clock speed. You might rememeber the 2014 Pentium G3258 overclocked to 4.8 GHz was rivaling or outperforming everything in most games, even an 8-core 5960x

Well, some games still sort of behave that way, with a faster 4-core beating out a slower 10-core. The 3300x has markedly better single-thread performance than the 3600, and its single-CCX layout (as opposed to two on the 3600) make its multi-core performance not far form the 3600, despite less cores/threads.

How does the 3300X having a single CCX layout give it similar multi-core performance? Could you please elaborate a bit on that?

15 minutes ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

How does the 3300X having a single CCX layout give it similar multi-core performance? Could you please elaborate a bit on that?

2:08