Does a GT 710 require a separate power supply?

Takt1kal

So i recently found out that the GT 710 has low power consumption,so that means it can intake power from the mini pci e.

Is it possible to use it as an egpu by disconnecting the wifi card and using an external wifi antenna instead?

By connecting the mini pci e to one of thesedownload.jpg.93b37bddbf3b0fef053d0c03b149e4d0.jpgAnd the other hdmi end to the gpu? Will it intake power from the mini pci e?

Thanks.

Considering the GT 710 will perform worse than integrated graphics, why are you trying to use it as an external gpu?

And no, it won't work like that.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Considering the GT 710 will perform worse than integrated graphics, why are you trying to use it as an external gpu?

And no, it won't work like that.

My integrated graphics are Intel HD Graphics Arrandale (First gen). It can't handle youtube at 144p.

1 minute ago, knockless said:

My integrated graphics are Intel HD Graphics Arrandale (First gen). It can't handle youtube at 144p.

Ouch. Is hardware acceleration enabled in the browser?

Spending money on a GT 710 and external dock would just be a waste of money honestly. You'd probably be better off just putting the money in a piggy bank and saving it, keeping an eye on craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc for a newer 2nd hand laptop.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Ouch. Is hardware acceleration enabled in the browser?

Yes and thanks.

A GT 710 video may not need a separate power connector, but it still uses power from the pci-e connector. 

The pci-e slot gives 3.3v and 12v, and a video card is allowed to take up to 10 watts from 3.3v and up to around 65 watts from 12v inside the pci-e slot.  

A card like GT710 consumes maybe around 40-60 watts, and that's why it doesn't need a separate power connector. 

The connector for the wireless card only has 3.3v or 5v in it, there's no 12v. So, you can't connect the video card JUST to that slot using an adapter cable, and get it working. 

What you could do is use an adapter cable to make the connection between the miniPcie slot and the video card just to transfer the data and give the card some power on 3.3v, and then have a separate power cable that introduces 12v into the pci-e slot of the adapter cable. 

HOWEVER, the card would run at pci-e x1, and that's slow. Yeah, it would play movies but that's about it. 

Really though, what's your budget? For the money you would spend on a GT 710 you could probably get a motherboard AND cpu with integrated graphics from eBay and then transplant the RAM and all the other components.

No it doesn't, the PCIe slot can supply up to 75w of power, and belive me, a GT 710 will not require 75w of power

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

18 minutes ago, mbntr said:

No it doesn't, the PCIe slot can supply up to 75w of power, and belive me, a GT 710 will not require 75w of power

ok I'm confused rn

50 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Really though, what's your budget? For the money you would spend on a GT 710 you could probably get a motherboard AND cpu with integrated graphics from eBay and then transplant the RAM and all the other components.

My budget is literally the price of a GT 710 ngl. 

2 minutes ago, knockless said:

ok I'm confused rn

The PCIe slot supplies power to devices, up to 75w, that's how 1x WiFi cards, audio cards and even lower power GPUs work

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

15 minutes ago, mbntr said:

The PCIe slot supplies power to devices, up to 75w, that's how 1x WiFi cards, audio cards and even lower power GPUs work

So I can connect the GT 710 to the mini pci e? it will be 1x. Not sure if thats fast enough.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

A GT 710 video may not need a separate power connector, but it still uses power from the pci-e connector. 

The pci-e slot gives 3.3v and 12v, and a video card is allowed to take up to 10 watts from 3.3v and up to around 65 watts from 12v inside the pci-e slot.  

A card like GT710 consumes maybe around 40-60 watts, and that's why it doesn't need a separate power connector. 

The connector for the wireless card only has 3.3v or 5v in it, there's no 12v. So, you can't connect the video card JUST to that slot using an adapter cable, and get it working. 

What you could do is use an adapter cable to make the connection between the miniPcie slot and the video card just to transfer the data and give the card some power on 3.3v, and then have a separate power cable that introduces 12v into the pci-e slot of the adapter cable. 

HOWEVER, the card would run at pci-e x1, and that's slow. Yeah, it would play movies but that's about it. 

I think they have a laptop not desktop (needing eGPU and mini-PCIe connector from the wifi card). If it was a desktop they would likely just be able to plug in the card directly to a PCIe slot.

An old Dell/HP office PC might be within budget if they can find someone selling locally who just wants to get rid of it. Or an old laptop if they don't already have peripherals and monitor to use.

GT 710 should only be around 20W power consumption max. GT 730 is around 30-40W. GTX 750Ti is around 60-70W.

3.3V and 1.5V for mini PCIe.

https://pinoutguide.com/Slots/mini_pcie_pinout.shtml

24 minutes ago, mbntr said:

That's for the PCIe connector. Not mini PCIe (commonly used in laptops for wifi cards) which is what OP is trying to use.

@knockless what model laptop(?) do you have?

5 minutes ago, knockless said:

Dell Inspiron 1564.

Thanks

So Intel i3 330M CPU?

If you try playing a youtube video can you open Task Manager and take a screenshot of the performance tab.

So Intel i3 330M CPU?

If you try playing a youtube video can you open Task Manager and take a screenshot of the performance tab.

ok lemme try

2 minutes ago, knockless said:

idk why is the cpu not being used. :(Capture.PNG.411d26d009d51cadf52df7d00241c35d.PNG

I guess it's because of heating (it's at 85C now)

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

pci-e 1x, Isn't that enough for such a old card?

Oh... Is that Windows XP? Right, didn't even think you wouldn't be running Windows 10. I was hoping to also see GPU usage in the performance tab as well as some other info but I guess Windows XP doesn't show that.

Time to save up for a new(er) laptop.

15 minutes ago, knockless said:

I guess it's because of heating (it's at 85C now)

You could try cleaning dust out of the laptop and applying new thermal paste under the heatsink if you are comfortable opening your laptop. Try searching for some videos on youtube that give a guide for opening that laptop.

Oh... Is that Windows XP? Right?

Time to save up for a new(er) laptop.

You could try cleaning dust out of the laptop and applying new thermal paste under the heatsink if you are comfortable opening your laptop. Try searching for some videos on youtube that give a guide for opening that laptop.

It's Windows 7 on performance mode.

The heatsink is not easily reachable as the RAM or HDD. 

To get to it, I have to open up the keyboard and take out the cd rom.

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I was hoping to also see GPU usage in the performance tab

Capture.PNG.1397db0288b1e7bc66046c3a6f43eaa0.PNG

1% GPU usage. T_T

2 hours ago, knockless said:

Will it intake power from the mini pci e?

I'm not aware of any laptop with mPCIE that was designed to supply the same 75W as desktop-mobos are. Typically those laptop mPCIE-sockets supply only like 10W or so, so that totally wouldn't be enough to run a GPU on. Besides which, there's only 3.3V and 1.5V there -- no 12V, which a GPU would require.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Oh... Is that Windows XP? Right, didn't even think you wouldn't be running Windows 10. I was hoping to also see GPU usage in the performance tab as well as some other info but I guess Windows XP doesn't show that.

As far as i know it's exclusive to Windows 10,

I don't see that there when i use Windows 7 (for competitive overclocking).

Anyway i have to deal with laptops from that era from time to time,with GPU acceleration the iGPU will struggle at running anything more than 720p.

And it seems like OP doesn't have enough budget for Adapter+PSU+GT 710 anyway.

My recommendation is to save money for a better laptop,post a new thread once you have enough budget.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

39 minutes ago, Vishera said:

My recommendation is to save money for a better laptop,post a new thread once you enough budget.

Ok, Thanks.