VPN and ISP Question on local network

Midevil Chaos
Go to solution Solved by badreg,
5 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

So in practice, they will never know I am streaming Linus or my own videos then? I assume that local traffic is safe from other snoopers too? I don't know much about security when it comes to the local network itself unfortunately in terms of streaming and the actual data being seen.

Local traffic does not route through the WAN, so it only goes between your devices through the router. Again, an ISP gateway could conceivably (read: highly unlikely) collect metadata on your local traffic, like how many bytes are transferred to and from each device, but no one outside your network will be able to see the packets (unless there is something seriously wrong with your network security or you have malware on your devices).

Using your own router will completely eliminate any chance of your ISP knowing anything about the activity on your local network.

I hate the idea of my ISP knowing what I look at. Whether it's streaming Linus on my Smart tv (from my PC), or steaming home made vids on my 4K tv (from my PC). Basically, my question is about if my ISP can snoop on my local network? For example, I want to make videos soon, but I don't want my ISP knowing that information, because my personal life is personal (despite the fact those could be shared on youtube with other people).

I am trying to use Mezzmo. So far, I made a random video and then streamed it on my smart tv. I would assume I would be safe from my ISP snooping, since it would be (I assume) local traffic.

Your ISP can do deep packet analysis to get metadata on your traffic. Most web traffic is encrypted, so they won't be able to see the actual data, but they'll be able to make a very good guesses about the data. However, in practice, no ISP is going to monitor its customer base in this way. For the average consumer, most of the data they gather come from your DNS lookups. Change your DNS settings at the router level, and they'll no longer have this information.

Regarding your local network, if you use the ISP gateway, it is possible that it could phone home about what devices are connected to it. But they don't have access to the individual devices on your network through the gateway. If you use your own router behind the gateway, all the gateway will see is the router, and will have no way to see individual devices behind the router (unless you deliberately set your router a certain way).

2 minutes ago, badreg said:

Your ISP can do deep packet analysis to get metadata on your traffic. Most web traffic is encrypted, so they won't be able to see the actual data, but they'll be able to make a very good guesses about the data. However, in practice, no ISP is going to monitor its customer base in this way. For the average consumer, most of the data they gather come from your DNS lookups. Change your DNS settings at the router level, and they'll no longer have this information.

Regarding your local network, if you use the ISP gateway, it is possible that it could phone home about what devices are connected to it. But they don't have access to the individual devices on your network through the gateway. If you use your own router behind the gateway, all the gateway will see is the router, and will have no way to see individual devices behind the router (unless you deliberately set your router a certain way).

So in practice, they will never know I am streaming Linus or my own videos then? I assume that local traffic is safe from other snoopers too? I don't know much about security when it comes to the local network itself unfortunately in terms of streaming and the actual data being seen.

5 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Local traffic does not route through the WAN, so it only goes between your devices through the router. Again, an ISP gateway could conceivably (read: highly unlikely) collect metadata on your local traffic, like how many bytes are transferred to and from each device, but no one outside your network will be able to see the packets (unless there is something seriously wrong with your network security or you have malware on your devices).

Using your own router will completely eliminate any chance of your ISP knowing anything about the activity on your local network.