Two Routers or a Switch?

Nanook

If I wanted to increase the number of wired access points in my home, then would it be better to have two routers connected or a router and a switch? Or does it matter at all?

so a "router" as most people label it is simply a wired switch plus an access point and router all rolled into one box. it really doesn't matter except for cost and wireless coverage, if the "router" you are adding has wireless mesh capability or wireless access point capability it will benefit the system by basically adding another wireless source for your network. 

if you are only looking at adding more wired ports to the network an unmanaged switch will save you a bunch of $ compared to a wireless router. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Get a switch, a router won't help you here. Switches are basically made for adding more devices, where as home routers are made for connection to a wan

2 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

so a "router" as most people label it is simply a wired switch plus an access point and router all rolled into one box. it really doesn't matter except for cost and wireless coverage, if the "router" you are adding has wireless mesh capability or wireless access point capability it will benefit the system by basically adding another wireless source for your network. 

if you are only looking at adding more wired ports to the network an unmanaged switch will save you a bunch of $ compared to a wireless router. 

Yeah, I should have made it a bit clearer. I already have a nighthawk c7000 cable modem router combo, but I am running out of wired access points. I know I can buy another modem router combo and connect it to my main to function as more qired connections and more wifi spread. However, I am not worried to much about wifi coverage so I guess a switch is looking like the way to go. Considering everything equal, both solutions should operate at the same speed correct?

A router is a switch with built in wifi.

Also unless you get routers that can be combined into a single wifi mesh network you would have two separate networks you would have to switch between manually.

If you just need wired ports, a switch is cheaper than a router.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Nanook said:

Considering everything equal, both solutions should operate at the same speed correct?

Yes as long as the switch is gigabit you will have the same speed across all ports, if you start getting too large (>24 ports) you will want to start looking into managed switches but adding a simple 4 or 8port unmanaged will be perfect for expansion 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it