Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Loabzz

3080 Version

Posted · Original PosterOP

I was thinking about upgrading my graphics card to a 3080 and was wondering what version to get, like one from ASUS or MSI, or just the Founders Edition. I'm not upgrading right now but in the near future probably after the Radeon Graphics card announcement. 

Well, whichever 3080 you can get your hands on is the version you should get. Now, if you actually had a choice, I heard the ASUS TUF is actually pretty good if you can get if for the same price as the Founders Editions.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: Asus Dual OC 2080  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia (Proprietary Thermaltake View 21, side intake, not front)  PSU: ATNG 800w 80+ Bronze (replacing when shortage is over) Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Acer XG270HU (27" 1440p 144hz TN), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

There's two things you want to consider. Boost clock, and cooling solution. For boost clock, higher = better, and you can read reviews for specific cards from trustworthy publications to determine if they have a good cooler. At this point, however, you're probably best just going with whatever you can get your hands on. 

Always remember the 80/80 rule of project management. That is, the first 80% of the project takes 80% of the time, and the last 20% of the project takes the other 80% of the time.

4 hours ago, bellabichon said:

For boost clock, higher = better

Not so much with the 3080... Stock boost tables on everything except the Founders and TUF put you into unstable frequencies that cause crashes.

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-36 MoboASRock X570M Pro4

Graphics Card: ASRock Reference RX 5700 XT Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM

Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, dual Constellation ES 2GB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

to be honest, the FE seems like a good deal but hard to come buy, i´ve ordered a Strix at launch but still waiting, should be here next week.

personally i really like Asus overengineered power solution, on all their strix cards, and now it seems TUF is well buildt two with the indication from use of 6 mlcc´s instead of poscaps, yes it might not have any effect on stability, although all youtubers have cried "wolf" based on this.

personally i would order a TUF today, since it has showed it self to cool well, and to have a better than FE version of board design.