Wierd Old House...Ethernet/Power Problem

PCFlegling
Go to solution Solved by Heliian,

What you're looking at is a wall box that has an outlet cover and is plastered over.  Your standard outlet has an oversize faceplate on it.  You can buy a regular size faceplate that will be the same size as the port cover.  You can also buy an extender for the thicker wall. 

The other style outlet you're thinking of is called a "decora" and is rectangular.  The light is usually on a gfci outlet version or USB version. 

I live in an old house that has cement drywall for the walls. I want to install a ethernet jack on the same wall as an power outlet. The problem is that the wall plates are two different sizes with the power port having one screw in the middle and being bigger..... I figured I might as well replace the power to a newer outlet type with a green indicator light. The new ones have smaller plates too that have one screw on each side instead of just one in the middle. I turned off the circuit to have a look and I found out that the wall box is between two pieces of cement drywall  and is not screwed into a stud but into the other far piece of drywall. I can't install this new GFCI outlet because the wall box is way too squished in. The outlet cant even screw into the wall box fully because its too squished in. I cant install an ethernet port if one wall plate is smaller than the other. That would look stupid. What can I do?

20200928_200432.jpg

20200928_200502.jpg

20200928_203654.jpg

i would not even try it most likely there is conduit in the walls where the power wires are running thru you can not mix low power cabling and electric in the same conduit as the low power cables do not have the right insluation as power cables do thats just waiting for a fire to start 

Use longer screws.....

What you're looking at is a wall box that has an outlet cover and is plastered over.  Your standard outlet has an oversize faceplate on it.  You can buy a regular size faceplate that will be the same size as the port cover.  You can also buy an extender for the thicker wall. 

The other style outlet you're thinking of is called a "decora" and is rectangular.  The light is usually on a gfci outlet version or USB version. 

On 9/28/2020 at 9:34 PM, keysbeast said:

i would not even try it most likely there is conduit in the walls where the power wires are running thru you can not mix low power cabling and electric in the same conduit as the low power cables do not have the right insluation as power cables do thats just waiting for a fire to start 

Im putting the ethernet cord farther off in between two different studs