Randomly crashes when HDMI unpluged.

SharielBelle

Hi,

I've noticed that sometimes when I unplugged (and sometimes replug) my GPU's graphics card it crashes my PC. Sometimes it black screens and reboots by itself and sometimes it freezes then reboots. It used to happen every time with my oculus rift. I tried turning my PC off, then plugging my oculus in and then turning it on. But that actually just causes it to boot to black, fail, and reboot again.Now I've found that if I unplug my hdmi for my rift and then the USB then it crashes less often. What do you think could be causing this issue?

Thank you!.

If this helps here's the reliability from the crash. It doesnt say what crashed it. My guesses are a MOBO, GPU, or PSU problem. What do you all think?image.png.1860108ec4a8fec44acae463ecf120f8.png

Howdy and welcome :)  

your description implies you are trying to plug or unplug you monitor WHILE the computer is functioning.  I would be somewhat surprised if it DIDNT crash when you did that.  Why are you doing such a thing? Perhaps there is a better solution.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Howdy and welcome :)  

your description implies you are trying to plug or unplug you monitor WHILE the computer is functioning.  I would be somewhat surprised if it DIDNT crash when you did that.  Why are you doing such a thing? Perhaps there is a better solution.

so true probley send voltage spikes back to the gpu and power supply never unplug anthing with power on wow

40 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

your description implies you are trying to plug or unplug you monitor WHILE the computer is functioning.  I would be somewhat surprised if it DIDNT crash when you did that.

What are you talking about? People (or at least me) do that all the time, and I've never crashed a computer doing it. Mind you, the window manager in Windows doesn't always handle it that elegantly, but it's not crashing.

21 minutes ago, keysbeast said:

so true probley send voltage spikes back to the gpu and power supply never unplug anthing with power on wow

The voltages being used to transmit the video signal are at least two active power components away from PSU power. There's nowhere near enough current to be dangerous. All modern video cable standards are designed to be hot-plugged (make ground connections first), so there essentially no risk when plugging/unplugging video cables.

1 hour ago, SharielBelle said:

Now I've found that if I unplug my hdmi for my rift and then the USB then it crashes less often.

Regarding the issue at hand, potentially it's crashing if it's still rendering something for the headset because it's connected, and the increase in load is causing something. Else, maybe a bad cable is connecting/disconnecting it fast enough that Windows can't react (I've had that happen with bad USB cables before).

It could also be placebo effect. What are the rest of your system specs? Is your RAM overclocked/XMP'd/DOCP'd?

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

5 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

What are you talking about? People (or at least me) do that all the time, and I've never crashed a computer doing it. Mind you, the window manager in Windows doesn't always handle it that elegantly, but it's not crashing.

The voltages being used to transmit the video signal are at least two active power components away from PSU power. There's nowhere near enough current to be dangerous. All modern video cable standards are designed to be hot-plugged (make ground connections first), so there essentially no risk when plugging/unplugging video cables.

Regarding the issue at hand, potentially it's crashing if it's still rendering something for the headset because it's connected, and the increase in load is causing something. Else, maybe a bad cable is connecting/disconnecting it fast enough that Windows can't react (I've had that happen with bad USB cables before).

It could also be placebo effect. What are the rest of your system specs? Is your RAM overclocked/XMP'd/DOCP'd?

While “crash” is a specific technical term it is not used that way by everyone.  Also computer components can use really really small wires these days.  So small theyre measured in nanometers. Even static electricity can destroy computer components. Best practice is to not plug or unplug anything not specifically designed to be hotswappable.  USB is hotswappable but even it has problems with that sometimes though that generally has to do with drives that have USB connections. 
There may be safety features baked into modern systems that averts damage should someone randomly rip out a cable, but relying on them seems like it is courting danger.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

I've never had a problem before with changing monitors out. I've done it all the time and my friends to it too. I change my monitor out on consoles too on my tv in the living room and its not like thats ever rebooted my console. and no, I dont overclock my ram or anything. Just for benchmarks mostly. I have an EVGA 1080 ti sc black and a 750w Corsair PSU as well as 2 1080p monitors at 27 and 24 inch.

Also I have an hdmi to display port adapter that I used to use to keep my monitors plugged in as well as my headset but it started having issues with all three plugged in and if any of the cables got bumped it could crash it so now I keep it down to one monitor and one hdmi be it monitor or headset. I'd experiment more but I hate crashing my PC so much.

The sometimes bit implies you are pulling out cables in a manner that crosses pins, however The bump thing implies some sort of loose connection somewhere which could mean that the mere jostling cause by the cable removal is enough to cause the problem.  Is the common factor this gpu?  You could have a worn or badly attached connector.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

While “crash” is a specific technical term it is not used that way by everyone.  Also computer components can use really really small wires these days.  So small theyre measured in nanometers. Even static electricity can destroy computer components. Best practice is to not plug or unplug anything not specifically designed to be hotswappable.  USB is hotswappable but even it has problems with that sometimes though that generally has to do with drives that have USB connections. 
There may be safety features baked into modern systems that averts damage should someone randomly rip out a cable, but relying on them seems like it is courting danger.

If that was the issue then why does turning off my system, plugging in my headset and turning it on cause it to boot twice? Is it just because the gpu is messed up at this point? I'm replacing it on monday with a 30 series so would that fix it or do I need a new PSU too?

1 hour ago, SharielBelle said:

Hi,

I've noticed that sometimes when I unplugged (and sometimes replug) my GPU's graphics card it crashes my PC. Sometimes it black screens and reboots by itself and sometimes it freezes then reboots. It used to happen every time with my oculus rift. I tried turning my PC off, then plugging my oculus in and then turning it on. But that actually just causes it to boot to black, fail, and reboot again.Now I've found that if I unplug my hdmi for my rift and then the USB then it crashes less often. What do you think could be causing this issue?

Thank you!.

Do you have a RTX 3080?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 minutes ago, SharielBelle said:

If that was the issue then why does turning off my system, plugging in my headset and turning it on cause it to boot twice? Is it just because the gpu is messed up at this point? I'm replacing it on monday with a 30 series so would that fix it or do I need a new PSU too?

I suspect the issue may be worn or damaged components in your current GPU so replacing the GPU would likely fix the issue.  In any case I doubt your PSU is involved unless you think there is a reason it should be.  A PSU that can provide only barely adequate power and/or cannot deal with the weird microsecond long power draw spikes of modern equipment can cause weird problems. 

As a separate issue,  You may be interested in emerging news about 3080s. Some models are having serious problems.  Apparently the problems only occur during an overclock but some drivers automatically overclock a gpu that is below a given temperature, so it is possible the even a non “OC” card might be affected.  Some  (but not all) cards cannot exceed 1.9ghz ever. There was also an earlier issue involving shenanigans involved in the initial release which also may or may not apply. 

Edited by Bombastinator

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Apparently the problems only occur during an overclock

Not necessarily,the lack of proper capacitors for filtering interference makes it easy for the GPU to pickup interference from the environment.

So if you have enough interference in your house,the GPU will be unstable even at stock configuration.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

42 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I suspect the issue may be worn or damaged components in your current GPU so replacing the GPU would likely fix the issue.  In any case I doubt your PSU is involved unless you think there is a reason it should be.  A PSU that can provide only barely adequate power and/or cannot deal with the weird microsecond long power draw spikes of modern equipment can cause weird problems. 

As a separate issue,  You may be interested in emerging news about 3080s. Some models are having serious problems.  Apparently the problems only occur during an overclock but some drivers automatically overclock a gpu that is below a given temperature, so it is possible the even a non “OC” card might be affected.  Some  (but not all) cards cannot exceed 1.9ghz ever. There was also an earlier issue involving shenanigans involved in the initial release which also may or may not apply. 

i'm getting the 3090. It was the one I could order and will help with zBrush for me.

34 minutes ago, SharielBelle said:

i'm getting the 3090. It was the one I could order and will help with zBrush for me.

Apparently none of the FE GPUs are having issues.  Lot of money to spend on a card.  3090 draws a heckuva lot of watts.  Might need to replace your PSU anyway.  Also a card that hot is going to need a lot of air

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Apparently none of the FE GPUs are having issues.  Lot of money to spend on a card.

It's for my school and career so it's worth it to me.

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Apparently none of the FE GPUs are having issues.  Lot of money to spend on a card.  3090 draws a heckuva lot of watts.  Might need to replace your PSU anyway.  Also a card that hot is going to need a lot of air

Also I see you edited this. atm i have 4 case fans and im gonna upgrade my psu in probably 2-3 weeks.

So I have one more bit of info that might help narrow it down. I just finished playing in VR and turned my pc off fully, even the PSU and it turned on okay. after it booted though my second monitor that was working a moment ago had "input not supported" on the screen so for the sake of experimentation I took the  the dvi cable out (replacing the monitor soon once the card comes) and edged it out and it instantly black screened (into reboot) my pc by the time I put it back in. I think this used to happen to my HDMI to Displayport too. So is this evidence of hotplugging being the issue? It seems to be triggered by any of the ports being plugged or unplugged.

38 minutes ago, SharielBelle said:

So I have one more bit of info that might help narrow it down. I just finished playing in VR and turned my pc off fully, even the PSU and it turned on okay. after it booted though my second monitor that was working a moment ago had "input not supported" on the screen so for the sake of experimentation I took the  the dvi cable out (replacing the monitor soon once the card comes) and edged it out and it instantly black screened (into reboot) my pc by the time I put it back in. I think this used to happen to my HDMI to Displayport too. So is this evidence of hotplugging being the issue? It seems to be triggered by any of the ports being plugged or unplugged.

I cant get it to reliably boot since this. It kinda looks like it’s booting but the screen remains black so i cant tell. I think I’m gonna get it serviced at this point. Whether its my gpu or psu, I think it’s on it’s last limb. Unless its the mobo. I had an issue with it before but got it RMA’d. 

my only hope is that it’s only one effect component or cable. 

• 8 months later...

I've been having a very similar issue, and now I think it is indeed due to unplugging/replugging the monitor

now the thing with my setup is this stupid new monitor I got seems to turn off the ports when going to sleep, as it literally sounds like getting reconnected after it wakes up, so essentially my pc is at risk of crashing every time I turn this monitor on, which I do quite often while switching between it and my projector, it also crashes when waking up from sleep because yes it sounds like plugging it in whenever that happens

by crashing I mean screen stays dark and totally unresponsive kb/mouse, I've tried DDU, more driver versions than I can count and even big w10 updates, chipset updates, different power plans, also factory settings on bios, and just recently I hooked the monitor to another pc for testing and when I switched the input back to the main rig it crashed just like that, heck if I turn the monitor off, windows goes crazy shouting "device plugged in & out" until I turn it back on

my rig is a B450a pro + 2600 + rx570 8gb, my conclusion so far is that windows/drivers cant handle certain "plug & play" devices from going in and out too rapidly, and on top of that my monitor does just that every time it wakes up

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 4:51 AM, SharielBelle said:

Hi,

Thank you!.

Hi,

I don't know if this has been already answered so sorry for that. I was having the same issue on my Leigon Y530 15ich. It would always crash when I unplug the hdmi cable on battery mode (wasn't effected when on AC). Wherever I look everyone says it is a graphics card or driver issue. So my system had legaccy bios and when I changed it to UEFI unplugging hdmi does't cause a crash anymore. While I was doing that I figured out my boot and system were in different disks as boot partiton was on the HDD and the system was on SSD. This might be another cause of it.