Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SharielBelle

Randomly crashes when HDMI unpluged.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

I've noticed that sometimes when I unplugged (and sometimes replug) my GPU's graphics card it crashes my PC. Sometimes it black screens and reboots by itself and sometimes it freezes then reboots. It used to happen every time with my oculus rift. I tried turning my PC off, then plugging my oculus in and then turning it on. But that actually just causes it to boot to black, fail, and reboot again.Now I've found that if I unplug my hdmi for my rift and then the USB then it crashes less often. What do you think could be causing this issue?

Thank you!.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

If this helps here's the reliability from the crash. It doesnt say what crashed it. My guesses are a MOBO, GPU, or PSU problem. What do you all think?image.png.1860108ec4a8fec44acae463ecf120f8.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy and welcome :)  

 

your description implies you are trying to plug or unplug you monitor WHILE the computer is functioning.  I would be somewhat surprised if it DIDNT crash when you did that.  Why are you doing such a thing? Perhaps there is a better solution.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Howdy and welcome :)  

 

your description implies you are trying to plug or unplug you monitor WHILE the computer is functioning.  I would be somewhat surprised if it DIDNT crash when you did that.  Why are you doing such a thing? Perhaps there is a better solution.

so true probley send voltage spikes back to the gpu and power supply never unplug anthing with power on wow

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

your description implies you are trying to plug or unplug you monitor WHILE the computer is functioning.  I would be somewhat surprised if it DIDNT crash when you did that.

What are you talking about? People (or at least me) do that all the time, and I've never crashed a computer doing it. Mind you, the window manager in Windows doesn't always handle it that elegantly, but it's not crashing.

 

21 minutes ago, keysbeast said:

so true probley send voltage spikes back to the gpu and power supply never unplug anthing with power on wow

The voltages being used to transmit the video signal are at least two active power components away from PSU power. There's nowhere near enough current to be dangerous. All modern video cable standards are designed to be hot-plugged (make ground connections first), so there essentially no risk when plugging/unplugging video cables.

 

1 hour ago, SharielBelle said:

Now I've found that if I unplug my hdmi for my rift and then the USB then it crashes less often.

Regarding the issue at hand, potentially it's crashing if it's still rendering something for the headset because it's connected, and the increase in load is causing something. Else, maybe a bad cable is connecting/disconnecting it fast enough that Windows can't react (I've had that happen with bad USB cables before).

 

It could also be placebo effect. What are the rest of your system specs? Is your RAM overclocked/XMP'd/DOCP'd?


Main System (Byarlant) Ryzen 5 1600X | Asus B350-F Strix | Corsair H80i V2 | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz CAS-14 | XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II | Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / Samsung 970 EVO 500GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB | Corsair CX650M | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | Anidees AI-07BW Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Microsoft Modern Keyboard

 

FreeNAS Server (Veda) Core i3-4170 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 1x Samsung PM961 128GB SSD / 1x Kingston 16GB SSD | Corsair CX430M | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i LBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives)

 

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta) Core i7-2600 | Asus H77M-PRO | Stock Cooler | 8GB No-name DDR3 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | Sandisk UltraII SSD 64GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Syba USB3.1 Gen 2 Card | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case

 

Laptop (Narrative) Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | UMIS 256GB NVMe SSD | (all-around awesome machine)

Laptop (Rozen-ZuluSony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Kingston 120GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | (lived a good life, retired with honor)

 

Tablet (---): Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (crosses fingers)
Tablet (ReGZAsus T102HA (BIOS clock doesn't tick, loses time when sleep/off) (I kill tablets with disturbing regularity)

Tablet (UnicornSurface Pro 2 (battery will reset total capacity to current charge, leading Windows to think it's always 100% charged until it dies)

Tablet (LotoDell Venue 8 Pro (screen discoloration issues, wouldn't update to Windows 10)

Tablet: iPad 2 16GB (WiFi died, basically useless after that)

 

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya) Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M (?) | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | NZXT H230 Case

 

Camera: Sony A7II (w/ Meike Grip) | Sony SEL24240 (better than most reviews say) | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | Sony SEL50F18F (meh, don't buy) | PNY Elite Perfomance SDXC cards

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

What are you talking about? People (or at least me) do that all the time, and I've never crashed a computer doing it. Mind you, the window manager in Windows doesn't always handle it that elegantly, but it's not crashing.

 

The voltages being used to transmit the video signal are at least two active power components away from PSU power. There's nowhere near enough current to be dangerous. All modern video cable standards are designed to be hot-plugged (make ground connections first), so there essentially no risk when plugging/unplugging video cables.

 

Regarding the issue at hand, potentially it's crashing if it's still rendering something for the headset because it's connected, and the increase in load is causing something. Else, maybe a bad cable is connecting/disconnecting it fast enough that Windows can't react (I've had that happen with bad USB cables before).

 

It could also be placebo effect. What are the rest of your system specs? Is your RAM overclocked/XMP'd/DOCP'd?

While “crash” is a specific technical term it is not used that way by everyone.  Also computer components can use really really small wires these days.  So small theyre measured in nanometers. Even static electricity can destroy computer components. Best practice is to not plug or unplug anything not specifically designed to be hotswappable.  USB is hotswappable but even it has problems with that sometimes though that generally has to do with drives that have USB connections. 
There may be safety features baked into modern systems that averts damage should someone randomly rip out a cable, but relying on them seems like it is courting danger.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

What are you talking about? People (or at least me) do that all the time, and I've never crashed a computer doing it. Mind you, the window manager in Windows doesn't always handle it that elegantly, but it's not crashing.

 

The voltages being used to transmit the video signal are at least two active power components away from PSU power. There's nowhere near enough current to be dangerous. All modern video cable standards are designed to be hot-plugged (make ground connections first), so there essentially no risk when plugging/unplugging video cables.

 

Regarding the issue at hand, potentially it's crashing if it's still rendering something for the headset because it's connected, and the increase in load is causing something. Else, maybe a bad cable is connecting/disconnecting it fast enough that Windows can't react (I've had that happen with bad USB cables before).

 

It could also be placebo effect. What are the rest of your system specs? Is your RAM overclocked/XMP'd/DOCP'd?

I've never had a problem before with changing monitors out. I've done it all the time and my friends to it too. I change my monitor out on consoles too on my tv in the living room and its not like thats ever rebooted my console. and no, I dont overclock my ram or anything. Just for benchmarks mostly. I have an EVGA 1080 ti sc black and a 750w Corsair PSU as well as 2 1080p monitors at 27 and 24 inch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Also I have an hdmi to display port adapter that I used to use to keep my monitors plugged in as well as my headset but it started having issues with all three plugged in and if any of the cables got bumped it could crash it so now I keep it down to one monitor and one hdmi be it monitor or headset. I'd experiment more but I hate crashing my PC so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The sometimes bit implies you are pulling out cables in a manner that crosses pins, however The bump thing implies some sort of loose connection somewhere which could mean that the mere jostling cause by the cable removal is enough to cause the problem.  Is the common factor this gpu?  You could have a worn or badly attached connector.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

While “crash” is a specific technical term it is not used that way by everyone.  Also computer components can use really really small wires these days.  So small theyre measured in nanometers. Even static electricity can destroy computer components. Best practice is to not plug or unplug anything not specifically designed to be hotswappable.  USB is hotswappable but even it has problems with that sometimes though that generally has to do with drives that have USB connections. 
There may be safety features baked into modern systems that averts damage should someone randomly rip out a cable, but relying on them seems like it is courting danger.

If that was the issue then why does turning off my system, plugging in my headset and turning it on cause it to boot twice? Is it just because the gpu is messed up at this point? I'm replacing it on monday with a 30 series so would that fix it or do I need a new PSU too?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharielBelle said:

Hi,

I've noticed that sometimes when I unplugged (and sometimes replug) my GPU's graphics card it crashes my PC. Sometimes it black screens and reboots by itself and sometimes it freezes then reboots. It used to happen every time with my oculus rift. I tried turning my PC off, then plugging my oculus in and then turning it on. But that actually just causes it to boot to black, fail, and reboot again.Now I've found that if I unplug my hdmi for my rift and then the USB then it crashes less often. What do you think could be causing this issue?

Thank you!.

Do you have a RTX 3080?


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SharielBelle said:

If that was the issue then why does turning off my system, plugging in my headset and turning it on cause it to boot twice? Is it just because the gpu is messed up at this point? I'm replacing it on monday with a 30 series so would that fix it or do I need a new PSU too?

I suspect the issue may be worn or damaged components in your current GPU so replacing the GPU would likely fix the issue.  In any case I doubt your PSU is involved unless you think there is a reason it should be.  A PSU that can provide only barely adequate power and/or cannot deal with the weird microsecond long power draw spikes of modern equipment can cause weird problems. 
 

As a separate issue,  You may be interested in emerging news about 3080s. Some models are having serious problems.  Apparently the problems only occur during an overclock but some drivers automatically overclock a gpu that is below a given temperature, so it is possible the even a non “OC” card might be affected.  Some  (but not all) cards cannot exceed 1.9ghz ever. There was also an earlier issue involving shenanigans involved in the initial release which also may or may not apply. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Apparently the problems only occur during an overclock

Not necessarily,the lack of proper capacitors for filtering interference makes it easy for the GPU to pickup interference from the environment.

So if you have enough interference in your house,the GPU will be unstable even at stock configuration.


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
42 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I suspect the issue may be worn or damaged components in your current GPU so replacing the GPU would likely fix the issue.  In any case I doubt your PSU is involved unless you think there is a reason it should be.  A PSU that can provide only barely adequate power and/or cannot deal with the weird microsecond long power draw spikes of modern equipment can cause weird problems. 
 

As a separate issue,  You may be interested in emerging news about 3080s. Some models are having serious problems.  Apparently the problems only occur during an overclock but some drivers automatically overclock a gpu that is below a given temperature, so it is possible the even a non “OC” card might be affected.  Some  (but not all) cards cannot exceed 1.9ghz ever. There was also an earlier issue involving shenanigans involved in the initial release which also may or may not apply. 

i'm getting the 3090. It was the one I could order and will help with zBrush for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SharielBelle said:

i'm getting the 3090. It was the one I could order and will help with zBrush for me.

Apparently none of the FE GPUs are having issues.  Lot of money to spend on a card.  3090 draws a heckuva lot of watts.  Might need to replace your PSU anyway.  Also a card that hot is going to need a lot of air

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Apparently none of the FE GPUs are having issues.  Lot of money to spend on a card.

It's for my school and career so it's worth it to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Apparently none of the FE GPUs are having issues.  Lot of money to spend on a card.  3090 draws a heckuva lot of watts.  Might need to replace your PSU anyway.  Also a card that hot is going to need a lot of air

Also I see you edited this. atm i have 4 case fans and im gonna upgrade my psu in probably 2-3 weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have one more bit of info that might help narrow it down. I just finished playing in VR and turned my pc off fully, even the PSU and it turned on okay. after it booted though my second monitor that was working a moment ago had "input not supported" on the screen so for the sake of experimentation I took the  the dvi cable out (replacing the monitor soon once the card comes) and edged it out and it instantly black screened (into reboot) my pc by the time I put it back in. I think this used to happen to my HDMI to Displayport too. So is this evidence of hotplugging being the issue? It seems to be triggered by any of the ports being plugged or unplugged.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
38 minutes ago, SharielBelle said:

So I have one more bit of info that might help narrow it down. I just finished playing in VR and turned my pc off fully, even the PSU and it turned on okay. after it booted though my second monitor that was working a moment ago had "input not supported" on the screen so for the sake of experimentation I took the  the dvi cable out (replacing the monitor soon once the card comes) and edged it out and it instantly black screened (into reboot) my pc by the time I put it back in. I think this used to happen to my HDMI to Displayport too. So is this evidence of hotplugging being the issue? It seems to be triggered by any of the ports being plugged or unplugged.

I cant get it to reliably boot since this. It kinda looks like it’s booting but the screen remains black so i cant tell. I think I’m gonna get it serviced at this point. Whether its my gpu or psu, I think it’s on it’s last limb. Unless its the mobo. I had an issue with it before but got it RMA’d. 
 

my only hope is that it’s only one effect component or cable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×