SuperMicro X7SBL-LN2

Mind_001

I have the following server grade motherboard: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon3000/3200/x7sbl-ln2.cfm

It is a LGA 775 AND Model T.

I asked somewhere else for help, and they suggested a Xeon X3330. Got it off eBay for ~$15. (dont remember price) BUT it won't post. I 'think' it's the wrong 'series' or whatever.

It "says":

• Supports Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® X3300/X3200 series
  • Supports Dual-Core Intel® Xeon® E3100/3000 series
  • Supports Intel® Xeon® processor L3360 and L3110 series

I have the ECC RAM for it already. I see limit is 8GB, but, meh...

I just want to make sure I get the CPU right...

Can you guys get this right? lol

I want the most power i can get for my money, but I'm not spending more than ~$20. I already bought enough into this.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what ecc ram do you have? Not all ecc will work.

Did you get the bios updated?

RAM is TRSD2002G72R-667CL5FSX-36

BIOS has looooong been out of commision. But after I looked at the archives, I have the latest BIOS version.

11 hours ago, Mind_001 said:

I have the following server grade motherboard: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon3000/3200/x7sbl-ln2.cfm

It is a LGA 775 AND Model T.

[snip]

I have the ECC RAM for it already. I see limit is 8GB, but, meh...

I just want to make sure I get the CPU right...

Can you guys get this right? lol

I want the most power i can get for my money, but I'm not spending more than ~$20. I already bought enough into this.

What do you mean by "LGA 775 AND Model T"?

That board does support the X3330 - have you tried some non-ECC RAM? Note that it says unbuffered ECC in the spec, so if you try buffered ECC, it won't work.

How do you know the CPU you got is working? You might just have a dead one. How about the board? Do you have another CPU to verify that it works? There are too many variables here, so if you can fill them in that'd help us.

As for best performance on that system, the X3380 would be the one you want, though the "flagship" CPU always gets a premium added on second hand, so you could jump down to the 3360 or 3370 and find similar performance for a lower price. I have several X3360 based systems still in use (Windows 10). The X3330 you picked has a smaller cache of 6MB - half the X3360/70/80, so it's not just a bump in clock speed.

Compare here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=35432,33933,41094

Honestly though, if I had a spare LGA775 board today with no CPU, I'd sell it for parts or scrap it. 

3 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

What do you mean by "LGA 775 AND Model T"?

That board does support the X3330 - have you tried some non-ECC RAM? Note that it says unbuffered ECC in the spec, so if you try buffered ECC, it won't work.

How do you know the CPU you got is working? You might just have a dead one. How about the board? Do you have another CPU to verify that it works? There are too many variables here, so if you can fill them in that'd help us.

As for best performance on that system, the X3380 would be the one you want, though the "flagship" CPU always gets a premium added on second hand, so you could jump down to the 3360 or 3370 and find similar performance for a lower price. I have several X3360 based systems still in use (Windows 10). The X3330 you picked has a smaller cache of 6MB - half the X3360/70/80, so it's not just a bump in clock speed.

Compare here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=35432,33933,41094

Honestly though, if I had a spare LGA775 board today with no CPU, I'd sell it for parts or scrap it. 

It can run BOTH C2D and Xeon CPUs. Was "Socket T", sorry...

An Intel C2D E2140 DOES work in it. But I'm looking for something more powerful...

1 minute ago, Mind_001 said:

It can run BOTH C2D and Xeon CPUs. Was "Socket T", sorry...

An Intel C2D E2140 DOES work in it. But I'm looking for something more powerful...

ah ok, so we know the board and RAM are ok? Seems to suggest the X3330 is not working?

BTW, equivalent C2Q of the X3360 is the Q9550: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=33933,33924

The C2D E2140 is a 65W part, I wonder (if the X3330 is good), if the PSU or mainboard is not giving the CPU enough power? X3330 needs 95W.

Compare E2140, X3330, Q9550 and X3360 here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=29738,35432,33924,33933

You need to be able to verify that the X3330 is working, somehow. I assume you have the 4pin 12V CPU power plugged in to the board? 😉 

ah ok, so we know the board and RAM are ok? Seems to suggest the X3330 is not working?

BTW, equivalent C2Q of the X3360 is the Q9550: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=33933,33924

The C2D E2140 is a 65W part, I wonder (if the X3330 is good), if the PSU or mainboard is not giving the CPU enough power? X3330 needs 95W.

Compare E2140, X3330, Q9550 and X3360 here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=29738,35432,33924,33933

You need to be able to verify that the X3330 is working, somehow. I assume you have the 4pin 12V CPU power plugged in to the board? 😉 

I get no post with the X3330. And the board works with E2140. So it is possible the CPU is dead.

As for power, I have a 650W PSU. My old but trusty Corsair CX650.

I originally bought this board for like $30 off ebay because it is the cheapest available. I needed a board for my E2140. Last one crapped out.

Now, DO I need an Xeon? Well, not really...

Just now, Mind_001 said:

I get no post with the X3330. And the board works with E2140. So it is possible the CPU is dead.

As for power, I have a 650W PSU. My old but trusty Corsair CX650.

I originally bought this board for like $30 off ebay because it is the cheapest available. I needed a board for my E2140. Last one crapped out.

Now, DO I need an Xeon? Well, not really...

Is the 4 pin CPU power plugged into the board? The E2140 would possibly work without it, but the X3330 won't. Perhaps, if the X3330 is ok, the 12V 4pin power is dead, either on the motherboard or the PSU, and you simply never noticed because the E2140 works?

I bought Xeon over C2Q simply for silicon quality. It's also more likely that a C2Q would have been overclocked - and very unlikely that an X33xx Xeon would have been O/C'd.

Is the 4 pin CPU power plugged into the board? The E2140 would possibly work without it, but the X3330 won't. Perhaps, if the X3330 is ok, the 12V 4pin power is dead, either on the motherboard or the PSU, and you simply never noticed because the E2140 works?

I bought Xeon over C2Q simply for silicon quality. It's also more likely that a C2Q would have been overclocked - and very unlikely that an X33xx Xeon would have been O/C'd.

It's an 8-pin, but yes, it was connected. Could be anything, really.

And I don't really want to,put any more money into this. BUT I was wondering if I could give CPR to this thing...

25 minutes ago, Mind_001 said:

It's an 8-pin, but yes, it was connected. Could be anything, really.

And I don't really want to,put any more money into this. BUT I was wondering if I could give CPR to this thing...

Without another Xeon-capable motherboard to verify the X3330, I can't see a way forward without spending, and potentially wasting, more money.
If I were nearby I'd offer a board as I have at least 3 spare 775 boards, but "UK" is a little far from WI...

1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

Without another Xeon-capable motherboard to verify the X3330, I can't see a way forward without spending, and potentially wasting, more money.
If I were nearby I'd offer a board as I have at least 3 spare 775 boards, but "UK" is a little far from WI...

Yeah, true. Though I did send a Logitech mouse to my friend over there for his birthday. Only was like $20. Thing wasn't heavy, though.

*plays the taps*