F@H questions.

So I haven't folded before. I've been thinking about it for a while though. I just have a couple questions about it. Mostly hardware. I have my daily driver(i9 and 2070) and a pc that is mostly together. 7700k and 1070. I'm not all that worried about power consumption. Would I be better off putting the 7700k and 1070 together and just running that all the time or using my main rig over night? Any big hurdles? Where I live internet and power can be spotty sometimes. How bad does that mess with it? Any general tips would be much appreciated. I'd like to get going in time for the next month's event. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I used to fold on my 1070ti and it does not do as well as a 20 series card but it still gets a decent amount of points. F@H is more GPU based then CPU (the more GPU the better) and though the 7700k will get you a little more points it may not be worth it. You can also set the client to only fold when computer is idle so if you want you can do that with your main gaming rig. I would experiment though by downloading the client and seeing what your estimated points per day is.

Don't quote me on this but I believe that you can fold without internet and the only time you need internet is to upload the finished Work Unit or download a new Work Unit. 

With power problems it is hard to help with that. The only recommendation I would have would be to get a UPS from APC or to have the computer automatically turn on after power is resorted. F@H automatically launches when windows starts up and you can set it to automatically start folding on start up as well.

On 9/28/2020 at 6:54 PM, Voluspa said:

Where I live internet and power can be spotty sometimes.

You only need internet to download and upload the Work units. Projects can take anywhere from 1-8 hours to complete depending on the Project, card and speed. So you need very little internet speed/connection to get it functioning. 

I'm not sure which would yield you more points overall though, why not both? I have a dedicated folding rig AND a main PC i'll let fold when I'm not using it during folding events. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25